Needing a reman engine.

Steve92

Equipment
Mx5200
Jun 15, 2021
Kansas
Bought a MX5200 used a few months ago. Haven't even used it yet and looks like I won't for a while. A push rod bearing is gone and the mechanic working on it said the rod is beat up and crankshaft as well. The dealership won't do anything but a new replacement engine for a bit north of $12K. They suggested a remanufactured engine or have mine remanufactured. Been searching the 'net with no luck on reman engines for it. Any direction would be appreciated.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
I would assume you mean connecting rod and not push rod. If it only requires a new connecting rod and crankshaft I would rebuild my own or have it done if you don't have the capabilities do so yourself.

I would also question why the connecting rod and bearing failed in the first place.

jrgreene1968

Sep 15, 2021
East Tx
I would assume you mean connecting rod and not push rod. If it only requires a new connecting rod and crankshaft I would rebuild my own or have it done if you don't have the capabilities do so yourself.

I would also question why the connecting rod and bearing failed in the first place.
I agree. If crank is bad, just get it turned down and install oversized bearings. Unless it takes more than .050 to clean it up. I’ve worked on some engines like waukeshas etc that have even thicker bearings than .050, but I never liked going that far. And I never liked having a crank welded up either. I know a lot of people have had good luck getting them welded up, but I prefer not

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
reman vs new

New: has a good warranty, through the manufacturer, is installed by trained technicians. If you had a problem, you know where to go, and you know that they're using OEM stuff and you know Kubota is who made it, who trained the guys who put it on, who trained the parts people to order it, etc. IIRC they are 1 year warranty if installed at a Kubota dealer, and with that we also have to consider the emissions equipment. A brand new engine is already set up for your particular tractor, and it's emissions equipment.

Reman. You pull the engine, normally then have to pull the head and re-use it (or replace if it's broke/damaged) for a short block. Then reassemble. These tractors are NOT easy to work on, either. Might have 90 days warranty? Depends on the remanufacturing facility. And even then, what stipulations are required to keep that warranty? Look into it closely most of the time they use manufacturer's warranty so if they replace a rod and use an aftermarket one, the warranty on that part is through the rod's manufacturer which might be 7 minutes or it might be none at all or it might be 135.25 days. Who knows? That's why I said look closely at that. On emissions, it's not uncommon for reman builders to mix and match parts that they think (or have read) will work. They might use a head from a V2403-T on a V2403CR for instance and there are differences, such that they'll cause problems in a lot of ways-one of which is that it won't meet emissions requirements.

Repair. You take it off of the frame, totally disassemble, measure, pay to have it machined, checked, repaired, then you reassemble. Or pay a shop to do it. If you pay a shop, you're out labor + parts, and likely the labor to R&R the engine assembly (which in itself is intensive). The warranty on this type is parts only, usually 90 days. Labor is on you should there be an issue. And again, these particular tractors are labor intensive meaning lots of downtime.

Lots of options and lots to think about. Remember that price alone isn't always the more important aspect.

Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
And even then, what stipulations are required to keep that warranty?
Excellent point. The requirements are usually very intricate and a practical impossibility. They are designed to make sure they never have to pay out. The fine print on those can make a lawyer cry.

Repair. You take it off of the frame, totally disassemble, measure, pay to have it machined, checked, repaired, then you reassemble.
This is a better option than a reman, IMO. YOU have control of the process. Ask around at your local NAPA to get a recommendation on a good machine shop.

Or have the machine shop do the entire rebuild. You do the R&R, or pay the dealer to do the R&R. I recently did this on a passenger vehicle engine, and it worked out really well, and the cost was about a thousand less than having the shop put in a reman of unknown quality.

Lots of options and lots to think about. Remember that price alone isn't always the more important aspect.
Yes, indeed!