Need help....Leaking from weep holes on block--L240

shellman14315

Equipment
B9200, B7100
Oct 20, 2010
Loomis, Ca
Hi Everyone

I have an L240 grey market with I believe is a z1300 2 cyl engine. On the right side of the block, directly below each freeze plug(about 2 inches) , I have a weep hole (2) about the size of 1/16 inch.... I first noticed some fluid/goop coming out like rust colored and now it appears that it might be antifreeze. There is no water in the oil on the dipstick and it runs fine other than that. It does not appear normal in my opinion....does anybody know what those two tiny holes are for? Do I have a major problem? Do I need to fill them with JB Weld.....my dealer parts guy wasn't sure what they were.

Thanks
Cory
Loomis, Calif.

Kmo

Equipment
L225, L240/L260, L2850
Oct 7, 2012
Atlantic, Ia
Cory,

I recently acquired an L240/L206. My first Kubota for self educating purposes. I don't have answers for you, but my observations are the same as yours. I have been told the "weep holes" are for crankcase ventilation.
At first, I thought I had a leaking freeze plug. A loser look found the source to be the "weep hole".
I concluded it was dirty crankcase condensation water instead of antifreeze.

So far I have had one of the injector pumps dismantled to free it up and freed a sticky fuel feed rack.

Next will be to checkout the injectors and the timing to try to quiet the engine's diesel rattle. The Nebraska Test on the L260 with the Z1300 engine tested engine noise at 96-99 db. Maybe I'll have to wear ear plugs.

Kent

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
My experience has been any time a diesel engine quits making rattling noises and starts sounding quieter...it soon blows up.;)

Kmo

Equipment
L225, L240/L260, L2850
Oct 7, 2012
Atlantic, Ia
Hi Everyone

I have an L240 grey market with I believe is a z1300 2 cyl engine. On the right side of the block, directly below each freeze plug(about 2 inches) , I have a weep hole (2) about the size of 1/16 inch.... I first noticed some fluid/goop coming out like rust colored and now it appears that it might be antifreeze. There is no water in the oil on the dipstick and it runs fine other than that. It does not appear normal in my opinion....does anybody know what those two tiny holes are for? Do I have a major problem? Do I need to fill them with JB Weld.....my dealer parts guy wasn't sure what they were.

Thanks
Cory
Loomis, Calif.
Cory,
I have the very same issue (240/260). Did you ever solve the problem?
K-Mo

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
JB WELDS WORKS GREAT!

You don't close up holes that the engine manufacturer put there on purpose. They are there for a reason, and it is up to the owner to figure out the reason. Giving the advice to do something to circumvent a manufacturing-specific drain hole is giving bad advice!