need help changing alternator

Bigbear4x4

Equipment
BX1500
Apr 3, 2010
Frenchville, Maine, U.S.A.
I have a BX1500 with a 14 amp Dynamo and am up grading to an internal regulated alternator . I have 6 wires coming off the external regulator , two blue wires went to the permanent magnet alternator . The new , internal regulated alternator has 2 spade connectors and a double nutted stud which i believe goes to the battery hot on the starter solenoid. Question ; where or what do I do with all the wires on the ext. regulator ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!:confused:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I can't give you any advise on the setup that you have but I may be able to give you something to think about. My dad always would swap our old equipment over to a old style Ford alternator with a external regulator. It was a easy way to fix our problems. The main reason for that was that we only use Ford trucks so if a alternator went down while we were in the field one could be taken off any of the pickups to get us out of a bind fast. Hope this helps.

Bigbear4x4

Equipment
BX1500
Apr 3, 2010
Let me re-word the question being more specific...I have a BX1500 with a 14 amp Dynamo permanent magnet alternatorwith an external regulator and am up grading to an internal regulated 40 amp alternator . I have 6 wires coming off the external regulator , two blue wires went to the permanent magnet alternator . The new , internal regulated alternator has 2 spade connectors and a double nutted stud which i believe goes to the battery hot on the starter solenoid. The 6 wires off the regulator are , on one side of the plug , blue , black , blue ; and in line second row , white with red stripe , red with yellow stripe , red .
Question ; where or what do I do with all the wires on the ext. regulator ? and the two spade connectors on the alternator ; one says ign. ; what do I connect these to ?
Thanks for your help !!:confused:

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
I am wanting to do the same thing on my B2400, so I bought a service manual.

Heres what I have found thus far.

on your Dynamo regulator, find the RY (RED with YELLOW) trace and the WR (WHITE with RED trace), these seem to be the common wires between the 2 systems AFTER the regular. they each appear to go to the same places AFTER the regulator.

On your ALT the T plug on the back, the horizontal slot is for the RW wire, the vertical slot is for the WR wire.

The stud on the back of the ALT is indeed the HOT lead off the ALT, find the 30A fuse near the Starter, that should trace back to the RED ( R) wire on the old regulator for Dynamo. this is what you hook to the stud, change the fuse to 50A

I also see that the charge light is wired differently, you'll have to open the dash to do this, I'll explain it more once I can scan the Schem...

This is the way the schem. in my manual, when I have time to scan it I will and forward it on to you .

Black ( B) is ground wire, on the regulator plug, cut off the plug and ground it to engine/chassis

The Sky Blue ( Sb ) wires off the Dynamo are the charge wires, you won't need those or the regulator anymore

I ASSUME that Kubota uses the same basic wiring for the smaller machines, I do not know this for sure, if the wire colors are the same as mentioned above....

and BTW, where did you get your alt ? I've seen a few on Fleabay in the $85-$100 range, wondering if they were worth trying.

Last edited:

Bigbear4x4

Equipment
BX1500
Apr 3, 2010
Kevin , Damd , your good !!! Thank you !! Best help I got on line yet ! Got the 40 amp. Alternator on e-bay , from D.B.Electronics , http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370349947056 , paid $78.00 plus $12.00 shipping . Size wise , its a snug fit , bottom bolt needed a 1 in. spacer between alt. and engine , and the top bracket had to file the 2 bolt holes slightly to get a bit more tilt on the bracket for clearance to the alt. But it Does fit and the belt lined up perfectly. The Kubota dealer nearby wanted $379.00 for the alt. upgrade kit !!! Got the job done before I got to see your response but you did indeed reassure my work I did !
Had earlier gone to a web site that charges $18.00 to answer any question , any topic , by "experts" (http://www.justanswer.com/heavy-equipment). Well the response was not very "expert - like " to say the least . You read my question above , heres what they told me , " Dana all you need is a wire to go on the ign. terminal that has voltage when you turn on the key. Then the battery cable as you know to the starter solenoid. You can get the hot wire from the old regulator, just figure which wire gets hot when key is turned on. The rest of them just need to be taped up or cut off so they don't short out. I hope this makes sense. Thanks. "
Anyhow , I kinda figured it out , except for 1 matter and I sure hope you have the answer !
The alt. charges at about almost 14 volts , according to the voltage gauge I added to the dash , at idle with All lights , flashers , heater going and am EXTREMELY happy with it ! BUT, the battery light , which comes on when I first start up doesnt turn off , even with a good voltage reading. Reviewing your instructions, the only thing I didnt do was connect the black /ground , to the frame , I simply cut and taped it off . Wonder if that could be my problem ? Any suggestions ? Again , thanks Kev for responding to my letter !

Dana Anderson
Maine
dmanderson@roadrunner.com:)