Need Bearings and seals for mower gear box

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Hi, these are fairly special parts and you are likely to be limited to kubota dealers. Find the part numbers and then google search or visit your local dealer. Online Messicks or Coleman should be able to help you.

good luck in your search

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The one I looked at recently had commercial bearings in it.

I would take the bearings and seal(s) to a local bearing supply place and ask them to match them.

Dave

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Take them to an auto parts store such as NAPA and if they are standard bearings and seals they can match them using the numbers on them. Most likely they are.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not long ago I bought a finish mower which soon had a seized center-blade spindle. The seller sent me a new spindle, blade, and V-belts under warranty so I swapped all those parts out in about 2 hours and was back in business.

I took the old spindle to the workbench and disassembled it, pressing out the shaft and found two large, sealed bearings inside. One of the bearings was rough the other smooth. On the bearing seal I saw a number and Googled it and found a seller online who offered TEN of them for $15 with free shipping. I now have a complete spare spindle sitting on the bench in case I lose one after the warranty expires.... and nine spare bearings. But apparently I GOT SCREWED! The same seller also offers ten of them on ebarf w/free shipping for $5 less ($10). Oh-well....

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi
Not long ago I bought a finish mower which soon had a seized center-blade spindle. The seller sent me a new spindle, blade, and V-belts under warranty so I swapped all those parts out in about 2 hours and was back in business.

I took the old spindle to the workbench and disassembled it, pressing out the shaft and found two large, sealed bearings inside. One of the bearings was rough the other smooth. On the bearing seal I saw a number and Googled it and found a seller online who offered TEN of them for $15 with free shipping. I now have a complete spare spindle sitting on the bench in case I lose one after the warranty expires.... and nine spare bearings. But apparently I GOT SCREWED! The same seller also offers ten of them on ebarf w/free shipping for $5 less ($10). Oh-well....
GEO was it VBX bearings that gave such a deal

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi
I don't have the bearing number, part number only will save the bearing numbers when I take it apart.
My gear box is 25 years old but only has les 1000 hours on it. The spindle bearings I replaced about 5 years ago did not need to but I figured it would be a good thing to do. I still use the deck but I have to watch the oil level in the gear box

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
kubota bearings are generally cheaper than any parts store in our little town. Most are under 1/2 the parts store price. Just bought 6 deck bearings for my little ZG127S. From the dealer. $6.99/ea. Dirt cheapest order-only parts store were $14.99/ea + shipping costs. Dealer had 91 in stock. May be different bearings than you need but I bet the dealer's gonna be your best bet if they're convenient for you.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
My experience with Kubota PN bearings are thy are a much higher quality than the cheap Chinese crap you can buy. I find them a very good deal when you factor in price & quality. Think the last Kubota sourced bearings were Koyo which is a very good Korean brg. Kubota is cheaper than the local brg house for Koyo brgs,

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I posted the bearing source link in my previous message. If you ”click” on that link you will see that No, it was not VBX.

My experience with Kubota PN bearings are thy are a much higher quality than the cheap Chinese crap you can buy. I find them a very good deal when you factor in price & quality. Think the last Kubota sourced bearings were Koyo which is a very good Korean brg. Kubota is cheaper than the local brg house for Koyo brgs,
Kubota sources a lot of their products from China. (Check out your filter labels)

KOYO bearings, according to their parent company (JTEKT) website only makes WATER PUMP bearings in Korea. Their MAIN Asian office address in China:

Head Office (Shanghai)
Room A2,Floor 25, V-Capital Building, No.333 Xianxia Road, Changning District, Shanghai, CHINA
Phone: +86-21-5178-1000
Fax: +86-21-5178-1008
Business activities

Further investigation of JTEKT will reveal that they are heavily invested all over the world, including Asia, India, and the U.S. (Yes, we are for-sale... NOT the America of your grandfathers anymore... and Citizens United allows corporations to donate lots of hidden money to politics... talk about voter fraud.). 👥

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Have been in bearings my entire life.

The shortened version of a VERY long story is that "chinese" bearings are not all bad. A few are but those are sold to mass markets, autozone, oreilly, tractor supply, attwoods, home depot, lowes, etc. Big box places. The Chinese CAN (and do) make good products, but are given a bad name because of the mass market junk. How does mass marketing work? For instance, a big chain store says "hey I'll buy 1,000,000 items for $.05 each", when the normal price might be $.10/ea. The seller (manufacturer in this case) can either tell them to pound sand, OR they can bargain with the buyer, for, say $.07/ea. But what they don't tell you is that they found a way to re-tool an entire production line so that they can make them for a penny a piece cheaper than they used to, so basically you get DIFFERENT bearings (cut cost somewhere) from wal-mart than you would at, say, a bearing supply place--and they might have the exact same brand, part number, etc. So that begs the question, how do you tell the difference? One will sometimes say "packaged for [tractor supply, as a example] by whatever the company name is"--dead giveaway that's its the cheap version and marked up so that you think you're getting the "good" version.

you can go to McMaster and look up the specs of the bearings, but be warned, you'll need to know the application constraints of the ones you need in order to make a good decision, and chances are that they're exactly the same as you'd get from Kubota for 3x more money.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Unfortunately you tend to get what you pay for with cheap bearings. I’d rather buy name brand from a reputable bearing supplier. Even industrial distributors get burned by Chinese knock offs. I don’t trust cheap “name brand” stuff on amazon or flea-bay as being legitimate products with legitimate quality controls in place.

To cut costs suppliers simply omit quality control inspections and it’s cheaper for them to ship extra parts for no extra cost to the dealer and let the consumer sort out the defective units. Dealers like Walmart simply hand the consumer a replacement product and throw away the defective one.

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Unfortunately you tend to get what you pay for with cheap bearings. I’d rather buy name brand from a reputable bearing supplier.
Even in the automotive world. Makes me sick to see a made in China stamp on a Timken hub/bearing assy, but it's made to Timken's specs.
If you buy the store brand in a white box (used car lot type) and you'll be replacing it again within the year.

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi

I just send the seller you posted a message and the Kubota part numbers. I hope he can cross reference.
I don't have a Kubota dealer locally anymore. The 2 I buy from will ship. It seams funny I fund a Kubota dealer on line that is in orogen he sells 40% cheaper as the dealers I buy from. I am in SW Michigan

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi
Even in the automotive world. Makes me sick to see a made in China stamp on a Timken hub/bearing assy, but it's made to Timken's specs.
If you buy the store brand in a white box (used car lot type) and you'll be replacing it again within the year.
I needed bearings for the head on my milling machine the ones that where in there where SKF brand so I went to the bearing place yes they had them the bearings are high precision and are sold in sets. Like $ 280.00 a set so when I went to pick them up I discovered they where made in china. Timkens are also made all over the world mostly china unless one can find new old stock. I will try super hard not to buy china junk but on the other hand Mercedes Benz has a crank shaft plant in chine all the crank shafts are made in china for all there engines. Just bought a new whirlpool microwave guess what made in china.
I hope all that work will be brought back to the states . Kubota does not make all there parts. I bought some made in Korea

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I needed bearings for the head on my milling machine the ones that where in there where SKF brand so I went to the bearing place yes they had them the bearings are high precision and are sold in sets. Like $ 280.00 a set so when I went to pick them up I discovered they where made in china. Timkens are also made all over the world mostly china unless one can find new old stock. I will try super hard not to buy china junk but on the other hand Mercedes Benz has a crank shaft plant in chine all the crank shafts are made in china for all there engines. Just bought a new whirlpool microwave guess what made in china.
I hope all that work will be brought back to the states . Kubota does not make all there parts. I bought some made in Korea
China gets almost 50% of all imports from Japan and only about 10% from the U.S, while they export about 14% to Hong Kong (where except for food, it is redistributed to the rest of the world) 18% to the U.S. and only about 6% to Japan... 45% to the rest of the world. If you look at each/every item in your house and move the China made stuff to the garage for 30 days...your house will almost become unlivable and without lighting or food-processing appliances. The good news...? They are becoming capitalists. And they are the world’s BEST at copying things...which is why their computers, phones, toasters, refrigerators and bearings are about as good as anyone elses. The NOS American-made Timken nosewheel bearings on my Cessna 172 are $85 each while the chinese ones that have been doing just fine in there for the last two years were only $11 for both of them. My son soloed that airplane last week. (The Continental engine mfr’g company that made it’s engine was bought by the Chinese years ago.)

Last edited: