Need Advice

IBelongonaMountain

Equipment
2015 BX1870, FEL, MMM & Box Blade
Feb 10, 2021
Taxachusetts
Sorry this is my 1st post. I picked up a beautiful 2015 BX1870 with a FEL and MMM. Old time in the town next to us sold it to me with 432 hours.

We got our 1st dumping of snow a few weeks ago and continue to get snow here and there. I have a stone driveway that has turned into a skating rink in a few spots. I ordered chains for the tires. 24x12x12. They got delivered and I tried to put them on. No way. Not even close. I've watched numerous videos and read a few threads. Vendor told me they've had a few problems with turf tires in this size. So I send them back. Now I order from a different vendor. 2 link, v-bar. Same thing. A little closer but no luck.

Am I supposed to order a size larger than the tires? I even took my tires off. Please help. I actually had to pull the tractor out with my truck on one occasion. 😡

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Chains may not work without wheel spacers. How are you moving snow? I use rear blades on 3pt. Deep snow I reverse blade and plow in reverse.

Read manual on using 4wd and differential lock lever. Using bucket curl function (if you can get to solid ground) may allow you to get tractor unstuck without the truck.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Chains can damage that pretty stone driveway.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, chains can be 'fun' to install, helps to raise readend up high though, and use bungees to take up some slack.
Have you got ANY rear weight ?? You NEED that for sure !

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
What exactly is your problem with getting the chains on? Are they not long enough? Not wide enough? Hit the inner fender? You can’t figure out how to do it? That information will help get actually advice you need on installation.

IBelongonaMountain

Equipment
Feb 10, 2021
Taxachusetts
Definitely not long enough. Both sets. The 2nd set was better but still not close enough. I deflated the tires. Laid it out nice and neat and rolled tractor backwards onto them. Connected inside chain 1st. Rolled some more, adjusted to take slack out, rolled, slack adjust, rolled, take slack out. No luck. Put rear of tractor up on stands and draped chains over top. Connected rear link 1st then went to connect the outside link and same result. Just for S&Gs I connected the outside link 1st and centered the chain around the rim and that rear link was no where near where it needed to be.

If I'm doing something out of sorts let me know.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I guess I’m an old fuddy-duddy... but as for “doing something out of sorts”>... you’re not the only one who posts “S&Gs” or plainly spells it out... I can’t imagine why they think that’s OK to post in polite company... A better vocabulary would be preferred AFAIC.. I.E. “Just for Fun...”.

What size tires do you have? And what size chains did you order? And from whom?

IBelongonaMountain

Equipment
Feb 10, 2021
Taxachusetts
Tires are 24x12x12.
1st set was through Walmart who sold the from ROP Shop.
2nd set I ordered from Midwesttraction.com. I spoke with customer service and verified what I should order. Actually ordered from a human. Quite nice actually. Larger than the 1st set but still not right.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I guess I’m an old fuddy-duddy... but as for “doing something out of sorts”>... you’re not the only one who posts “S&Gs” or plainly spells it out... I can’t imagine why they think that’s OK to post in polite company... A better vocabulary would be preferred AFAIC.. I.E. “Just for Fun...”.

What size tires do you have? And what size chains did you order? And from whom?
To me S&G means Smiles and Giggles. What is impolite about that? Is your mind in the gutter?

Also, if you read the OP's first post you would not have had to ask what tire size.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
To me S&G means Smiles and Giggles. What is impolite about that? Is your mind in the gutter?

Also, if you read the OP's first post you would not have had to ask what tire size.
Then when I post “F O” you’ll instantly know I only mean Friendly Overtures....right?

I didn’t HAVE to ask what tire size for myself... I did so to invoke him to look more closely at the actual tire size on the side of the tire, since what he’s asking for is clearly not working for him. Example: MY tractor specs say I’ve got 14.9 X 28 tires on it... but that is NOT what is actually on the tractor. It’s got 16.9 X 28 tires which is a special-order alternative.

I was trying to be helpful. YOU are merely looking to find some way to criticize someone else, apparently (as well as being intellectually disingenuous) so F.O.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I didn’t HAVE to ask what tire size for myself... I did so to invoke him to look more closely at the actual tire size on the side of the tire, since what he’s asking for is clearly not working for him. Example: MY tractor specs say I’ve got 14.9 X 28 tires on it... but that is NOT what is actually on the tractor. It’s got 16.9 X 28 tires which is a special-order alternative.

I was trying to be helpful. .
This is actually a good point. When I got my BX2200 tires foam filled I told the guy they were 24x12x12. He quoted that size and I paid for that size, then when I got the tires back home I happened to look and they were actually 26x12x12!

So the OP should check the tire size to be sure. Being a BX18xx maybe they are 24x12x12... I thought mine were, but they were not...red face here...

Last edited:

IBelongonaMountain

Equipment
Feb 10, 2021
Taxachusetts
This is actually a good point. When I got my BX2200 tires foam filled I told the guy they were 24x12x12. He quoted that size and I paid for that size, then when I got the tires back home I happened to look and they were actually 26x12x12!

So the OP should check the tire size to be sure. Being a BX18xx maybe they are 24x12x12... I thought mine were, but they were not...red face here...
True. I never even looked at what was spec'd. I only saw what was on the tire. Lord knows I spent enough time cursing them out. You mean you guys didn't hear my hissy fit?

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Got curious and 24x12x12 are the standard size. But the same search turned up this tidbit:

I own a bx1870. Which I now know should have tire sizes as follows...16x7.50-8 fronts and 24x12-12 rears, but it was sold to me with 18x8.50-8 fronts and 26x12-12 rears. No big deal except that the fronts contact the fel mounts when turning.

edit: But I see the OP actually read the tire size on the tire...:D

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
[QUOTE="Henro, post: 443469, member: 38478"
[/QUOTE]

Was thinking I did the same thing, read the size off my tires but still got it wrong somehow.

Seems strange (but not impossible) that two different vendors would supple chains that are too short. But I guess that could make sense if turf tires are wider than ag or industrial tires.

Since I have been there personally, I guess I am suggesting that the OP verify the tire size again...just in case...no doubt his memory is better than mine though...😀 AND it is likely he got it right, since 24x12x12 is the standard tire size for his tractor. Never hurts to confirm though.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
[QUOTE="Henro, post: 443469, member: 38478"
Was thinking I did the same thing, read the size off my tires but still got it wrong somehow.

Seems strange (but not impossible) that two different vendors would supple chains that are too short. But I guess that could make sense if turf tires are wider than ag or industrial tires.

Since I have been there personally, I guess I am suggesting that the OP verify the tire size again...just in case...no doubt his memory is better than mine though...😀 AND it is likely he got it right, since 24x12x12 is the standard tire size for his tractor. Never hurts to confirm though.
[/QUOTE]
If the OP provides a link to the chains purchased, we may be able to determine if the chains are incorrect for the tractor tires. It is possible that they are for a car, not a tractor.