Need advice on new Brush Hog 5'

wolfalalone

Equipment
L3800DT,FEL,BB1260,RCR1260
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
I have been looking at 2 different Brush hogs and the specs are the same except for the blade tip speed. The brands are the RCR1260 made by Land Pride and the other is Country Line 5' ANY Suggestions about half the price!!!:eek:

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
I purchased a new 5' hog this summer and went with the LP1260 and I love it, it is built like a tank. I've been cutting alot of small scrub trees (2'' dia) out of my pasture and you dont feel nothing when it cuts them down, Theres no vibration in this hog whats so ever. Go with what you can afford as always.
If your mowing grass Im sure the countyline will work just fine, but my opinion on brushhogs is they are a tool that is gonna take a beating in most cases, and i wanted one that was built solid and the LP in my opinion looks to be built pretty dang good compared to the less expensive models.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
For many years I just bought the economy models and replaced them every few years, but now I only buy Land Pride or Woods, no Bush Hog dealer handy and in the long run as I use my cutters very hard, quality actually save me money as well as aggravation in the long run.

Kub3200

Jul 14, 2013
USA
I bought the lp rcr1260 and have used it to clear 5 acres of weeds and wild grass. I've also used it to clear some brush and trees near my pond. I did have a slight issue or at least I thought it was an issue. I bent a washer on one of the blades and was having a vibration when attempting to use the 1260. I noticed that the blade that had the bent washer was moving only a little bit but the other one wasn't moving at all. This really confused me as I thought the blades were to be free flowing. Then I thought maybe they weren't and the one that move a little bit needed the bolt tightened.

After some reading and asking questions I realized my first thought was right. I went out and broke the stuck blade loose and sprayed it with wd40. Did the same with the other one and it worked as it should.

I have to say that I am really impressed with the lp rcr1260. Here's a picture of the first area I used it to clear trees and brush.

Here's an example if the trees it was taking care of. The small trees on the left side of the picture.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I looked at the same two brush hogs. The side panels on the County Line seemed fragile and I've heard they bend if you are mowing backing into small trees. I like the top link set-up better on the Land Pride and in the end, I went with the Land Pride RCR1260. Happy with it so far after one mowing. Only wish they had an orange one in stock when I bought it!

wolfalalone

Equipment
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
I purchased a new 5' hog this summer and went with the LP1260 and I love it, it is built like a tank. I've been cutting alot of small scrub trees (2'' dia) out of my pasture and you dont feel nothing when it cuts them down, Theres no vibration in this hog whats so ever. Go with what you can afford as always.
If your mowing grass Im sure the countyline will work just fine, but my opinion on brushhogs is they are a tool that is gonna take a beating in most cases, and i wanted one that was built solid and the LP in my opinion looks to be built pretty dang good compared to the less expensive models.
u have the setup I am currently looking at with the 3800dt with FEL curious what you paid for it.

wolfalalone

Equipment
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
Thanks Guys I guess I will go with the Landpride 1260 I would rather go with the one that is going to last longer than replace them every few years I will post pictures when I get the equipment.

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
u have the setup I am currently looking at with the 3800dt with FEL curious what you paid for it.
Wolf,

I paid $1550.00 for it @ Enlow Tractors, I plan on making a video of it in use soon, with my new gopro camera, haha!

wolfalalone

Equipment
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
You've already found one of the most important things when it comes to a mower / cutter, blade tip speed.

The faster the speed the higher the cut quality. :cool:
found out yesterday that my grandfather has the same brush hog and that is what I am going with thanks for all the advise.:)