Need advice - B6000 transmission first shaft, how to remove it from the shaft cover?

nav0239

Equipment
B6000, B219 loader, 619B backhoe
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
I have removed the first shaft assembly to replace a bad bearing. But could not disassemble the assembly. I have tried to knock the front of the shaft real hard with a piece of wood and it would not budge. I don't want to damage it so need some advice.

Shall I use some heat or a gear puller? Or is there any other ways to disassemble the parts? When I get home I may be able to post some pictures if that helps.

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you don't have the WSM you can go to Kubotabooks.com and download a copy, might give you some more insight. ;)

nav0239

Equipment
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
Yes, I have the the B6000 service manual. Regarding to the 1st shaft it says: "Remove the 1st shaft cover and pull out the 1st shaft. ..."

I wish I could "pull" it out. I hope someone has done similar repair before could give me a hint. Maybe I will get a bearing puller and see if that works.

b4 I can take a picture, this is from the parts manual. The first shaft is enclosed in red. The parts from left to right are: oil seal, clip, bearing, clip, bearing, 1st shaft and needle bearing. The cover holds these except the needle bearing. One concern of using a gear puller is that the clips may be bent?

Attachments

Last edited:

nav0239

Equipment
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
Here are the pictures. The assembly goes onto the front of the transmission case. The spline connects to the propeller shaft from the engine. The gear connects to the third shaft?

By looking at the parts diagram, I would think it should just slide out. You can see there are quite a few balls missing in the outside bearing which I need to replace. I tried to pry out the bearing too that didn't work either.

The last picture shows how it was installed on the transmission.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Got it, You need to remove the seal #2 (red) on the splined side of #1
Behind the seal is cir clip ext #6 (blue) remove it.
Shaft #1 and Bearing # 4 will come out the back, look inside and remove Cir Clip int. #5(purple) then remove bearing #3(yellow) out of the back.

Attachments

nav0239

Equipment
Jan 4, 2015
Camano Island, WA
Thank you Wolfman! It never occurred to me that a cir clip could be reached through the oil seal opening. It comes apart literally in a few minutes after I got your instructions. Here is the picture in case someone else may need the info later.

The bad bearing still would not budge due to rust? I am putting on some WD-40 and later a gear puller should get the job done.

Thank you again Wolfman and everybody!

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
nav0239, your occupation must be dental surgeon as clean as you keep your work area and parts!!

It's amazing how just a little information can set you free.

Wolfman has helped me many a times. What's interesting, he likes railroading and cabinet building also. Tractors are not his only interest, but by the information his disperses you'd think so. We're all blessed by his knowledge and willingness to share. Thanks, Wolfman.