Need a supplier?

Mountainhill

Equipment
l2501 (l3800 2013/22), Box Blade, post hole digger, Leon's rear blade
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
Backstory :
I had a set of Trygg Ice-chains on my L3800 for 13 years, and let them go with the tractor when I sold it. Mistake #1
Once I got my tire ordeal sorted, for my new L2501, I ordered set of ice-chains, from my dealers supplier Walco “Twinway 6 studded chains”. Upon inspection, they looked pretty good and I saved several hundred dollars. Mistake #2

At last, I finally try to install the chains, only to discover they are 12/14” to long and 3 to 4 “ to wide. Ok, they shipped the wrong chains ?? Mistake #3

I contact my dealer, gave him photos with measurements, says he’ll check into it, after several days I contact Walco. There response is chains need to cut to fit due to tire wear, I say new tires, they still say chains need to be cut to fit. Cutting and Re-attaching chain is easier said than done, and the finished product is not as strong and/or safe. Plus I’m not spending hours figuring it out, buying supplies and doing the work to end up with a sub-standard product.

A bit of a ramble, Trygg will work, are there other less expensive options out there for studded ice chains? 3F642A46-CEA5-4A91-A65B-3993E38572A8.jpeg 90B8DBCD-947B-4C08-B98B-057AA95D78BB.jpeg

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I cut fit and welded multiple sets of chains and saved several hundred dollars, none have broken, and yes, it's a pain, but it's on a tractor hopefully moving slow. You have a nice set of new chains, use them.

Reactions: 1 user

Mountainhill

Equipment
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
I cut fit and welded multiple sets of chains and saved several hundred dollars, none have broken, and yes, it's a pain, but it's on a tractor hopefully moving slow. You have a nice set of new chains, use them.
If I had bought used chains, I’d have expected to modify them. I bought new, with a reasonable expectation they would fit as advertised.

Reactions: 1 users

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
SHortening chains is no problem , when you have to make them narrower its get's more complicated . Ive done both before & it is a pain . I would call who you talked to & when you get a real person ask for their boss ,if they can't / won't help ask for their boss . Sometimes working up the chain ( no pun intended ) of control you get better results , it's worked for me in the past . Ask for their name & spelling so you can get it right when you write your rerview of the company / seller .
animals45

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Width looks right to me? I'm not seeing them as too wide, they should go around tire to inside of rim edge give or take.
Length, with most chains they almost always make them to long, to avoid returns for being to short.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Backstory :
I had a set of Trygg Ice-chains on my L3800 for 13 years, and let them go with the tractor when I sold it. Mistake #1
Once I got my tire ordeal sorted, for my new L2501, I ordered set of ice-chains, from my dealers supplier Walco “Twinway 6 studded chains”. Upon inspection, they looked pretty good and I saved several hundred dollars. Mistake #2

At last, I finally try to install the chains, only to discover they are 12/14” to long and 3 to 4 “ to wide. Ok, they shipped the wrong chains ?? Mistake #3

I contact my dealer, gave him photos with measurements, says he’ll check into it, after several days I contact Walco. There response is chains need to cut to fit due to tire wear, I say new tires, they still say chains need to be cut to fit. Cutting and Re-attaching chain is easier said than done, and the finished product is not as strong and/or safe. Plus I’m not spending hours figuring it out, buying supplies and doing the work to end up with a sub-standard product.

A bit of a ramble, Trygg will work, are there other less expensive options out there for studded ice chains? View attachment 93571 View attachment 93570
It is customary to expect to fit tractor tire chains upon initial installation as such chains are sold to fit multiple tire sizes.

Consider yourself very lucky if you did not need to do this with the chains that you bought for your L3800.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I would also say to add to the being lucky that you have them in your hand & not backordered for 6 months . You can go to Napa or what ever auto parts you have & get a cheap pair of tire cain pliers for $30-50 ,or a real pair for alot more . If you decide to cut them just make sure of you cut . A $ 10 angle grinder from HF makes pretty quick work at this . Just don't cut the cross links , remove them so you haver spares .
I have the pair with the 3 ' handles , mine have more than paid for then selfs in the years that I've had them . I even picked up a backup pair for 10 bucks at a yard sale that the handles wernt bent like my original pair .
cheap pliers

amazon pliers

animal

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I'd make sure I'd have a pair in m hand before I sent the first pair back . The way supply is today You could hace the only pair in 100 miles area .
Out of curiosity what size is listed on the packaging ?

animal

Mountainhill

Equipment
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'd make sure I'd have a pair in m hand before I sent the first pair back . The way supply is today You could hace the only pair in 100 miles area .
Out of curiosity what size is listed on the packaging ?

animal
The size ordered was for a 11.2/24 tire, what I received was 12”/14”” to long, and also to wide so they would beat on the rims.

Mountainhill

Equipment
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
Still need a supplier of quality tracha
I get it, are you able to return it?
yes great salesman and dealer. I’ll get Trygg Chains from Norway again, if necessary. Still hopeful for a supplier , that can deliver what they advertise!

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
You should install them the other way with the cable through the side locks not the loose end. Width looks OK to me as well. Do they have adjuster links in the side chain to change the side chain length?
Trygg states that you may have to fit their chains to your tires as well. I have a set and have discussed this with their customer support team.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
The width look ok from what I could see in the pic . I'm not really in the know about tractor tires . WHats the difference in width between the 11.2 & the 12 ? The simple math says .800 of a inch , how do these tire sizes work ?
thanks
animal

Mountainhill

Equipment
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
You should install them the other way with the cable through the side locks not the loose end. Width looks OK to me as well. Do they have adjuster links in the side chain to change the side chain length?
Trygg states that you may have to fit their chains to your tires as well. I have a set and have discussed this with their customer support team.
As I said previously, last set of Trygg fit perfectly, and adjusted down as tires wore down. Trygg website specific to studded chains states “TRYGG SMT Flexi these chains are made to fit unique tire sizes and no extra adjustments should be necessary on new tires.”