Nebie question #3

elimsprint

Equipment
Kubota Sunshine ZL1-235 with tiller, FEL and 60" box blade
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
I just discovered in a manual that I can increase my tracking width by moving my tires a wheels from one side to the other. My tractor has fixed rims so I only get wide or narrow tracking widths, nothing in between. I tried widening the front but it sure made the steering hard so I put them back to the way they were but... I would like to try the rears wider as I live on the side of a mountain and a wider track would be nice I think. My question is, If I leave the fronts narrow is it OK to just widen the rears and leave the fronts narrow? If I widen both will the steering get better because of the wider rears? My rears have liquid in them so quite heavy to move around as I don't own any other equipment so I'm asking here before I try to move them around.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I was able to widen the track on my L2350DT by 12 full inches just by swapping them side to side and utilizing the 'tabs' provided for width adjustment.

Tire width1.jpg

Tire width2.jpg

I'm not sure that widening the front track is a good idea. It can increase steering effort and radius, plus adds extra stress on the front axle if you have a front loader.

Another thing to consider is that your front axle is most likely a 'pivoting' axle and by the time you hit its 'stop' a rear tire is probably already off the ground. So if you are wanting to widen the front for sake of stability....it likely won't provide much.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Your tires should probably stay on the correct side of the tractor if they are R1 or R14.

That would require the tires to be removed from the rims, rims swapped in tires and the tires refilled with ballast (same as removed?).

That might be worth paying someone to do.

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Your tires should probably stay on the correct side of the tractor if they are R1 or R14.

That would require the tires to be removed from the rims, rims swapped in tires and the tires refilled with ballast (same as removed?).

That might be worth paying someone to do.
I just move them from one side to the other keeping the rotation direction the same and the way the rims are formed I get extra width.

mcfarmall and Flintknapper, thanks for the replies I think I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Flintknapper, what are these "tabs" you speak of?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your not supposed to widen the fronts. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I just move them from one side to the other keeping the rotation direction the same and the way the rims are formed I get extra width.

mcfarmall and Flintknapper, thanks for the replies I think I'll try to do it tomorrow.

Doh! Don’t know how I missed that simple fact…

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Look at your tractor rim and see IF they have offset tabs.

IF they do...then you can swap the tires/wheels side for side AND mount them either inside or outside of the center hub for greatest width adjustment.

Offset tabs.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Look at your tractor rim and see IF they have offset tabs.

IF they do...then you can swap the tires/wheels side for side AND mount them either inside or outside of the center hub for greatest width adjustment.

View attachment 103565
Ah, you have the expensive rims, mine are just welded in place so only 2 settings, wide and narrow, depending on which side they're on.