Narrow tractor, crazy wide wheels

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I'm really curious if anyone else has to do this but our current orchard tractor is the m5n-091, last one was a deere 5083en that fell apart. But we have narrow tractors to fit down the orchard rows because the limbs hang out. But were on a hill so some of our orchards are really tilted like driving sideways on stairs steep. Stock it would tip easy so both tractors end up with back wheels so wide they aren't under the fender at all.

But then it won't tip over, anyone else have land that they have to do this with?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I live in the mountains with varying degrees of pitch and roll, I have a l3450 with R3's that are short fat and wide.
It really makes it stable in a lot of different uses.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Did you do anything to make the tractor more stable besides setting the wheels wider? Add ballast to the tires may help. Also they might make cast iron wheel weights for your tractor. The old orchard tractors also had metal fender skirts to allow the branches to slide around the tractor. Often they were custom made to fit the tractor.

It might be to late but have you thought to stair step or terrace your hillside, at least on the steepest parts?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Did you do anything to make the tractor more stable besides setting the wheels wider? Add ballast to the tires may help. Also they might make cast iron wheel weights for your tractor. The old orchard tractors also had metal fender skirts to allow the branches to slide around the tractor. Often they were custom made to fit the tractor.

It might be to late but have you thought to stair step or terrace your hillside, at least on the steepest parts?
Oh yes it's all ballasted to the max, see theres the odd rut too which makes it steeper.

I know what you mean, definitely to late and with the clay it wouldn't likely work well but I have seen that before.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It used to be common for the local 'roads' dept. to have smaller tires on the 'uphill' side and larger on the 'downhill' side of the tractors that cut the ditches around here.
If I HAD to go sideways on any hill, I'd dedicate a tractor for that purpose. Tractors are cheap, funerals aren't.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Sounds like a perfect application for a ventrac, possibly with duals. Kind of depends what you need to do. I'm amazed of what they can do, but they are darn expensive.

I'm in no way affiliated with them, just impressed with some of the capabilities.

Sorry, its not a dis against kubota, I love my L48tlb.

Last edited:

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Sounds like a perfect application for a ventrac, possibly with duals. Kind of depends what you need to do. I'm amazed of what they can do, but they are darn expensive.

I'm in no way affiliated with them, just impressed with some of the capabilities.

Sorry, its not a dis against kubota, I love my L48tlb.

It would be but I need the full capabilities of a cab tractor for this

Chesapeake

Equipment
B6100
Apr 1, 2021
Washington
When you said you had it widened out I pictured the old Massey-Ferguson orchard tractors I used to drive in my uncles orchards.
Yours looks quite tall and skinny rear tires for orchard work.

We used these things.

Reactions: 1 user

68FalconSC

Equipment
T1560
May 3, 2021
Stanwood, WA
When you said you had it widened out I pictured the old Massey-Ferguson orchard tractors I used to drive in my uncles orchards.
Yours looks quite tall and skinny rear tires for orchard work.

We used these things.

Yep. Those "fattys" on that Massey are what I remember as a teen picking apples and shakin' cherries as a teen in Michigan in the early 80's. This one farmer with a good sense of humor had painted "Fat Bottomed Girl" along the hood of the one he used most, lol.....Can still hear "Hey Jon, go grab the FBG" LOL. Used to make me laugh.