Hd883chopper

Equipment
2006 Kubota L4330 w/ FEL - Kubota Zero Turn ZD21 - 2010 Kubota RTV900X
Apr 17, 2021
Covington, LA
2010 RTV 900
3 cyl diesel 4x4
875hrs
Don't have the maintenance history as it's new to me.

Hi gang,

I've been hearing a rattling and I think I've traced it to the fan belt area right infront of the engine. As best as I could, I reached in and tried to shake each pulley, I don't feel any play but admittedly, this is not the best test.

Have any of you experienced this or have a suggestion? When running, the belt does move around some but not much more than any other machine that I use. Just wondering if you all had any thoughts on what could be rattling with the fan belt mechanism.

Side question, in your opinion is 875 hrs low, mid or high for a 2010? And can I expect to add a bunch more if I'm taking care of it?

Thanks,
HD.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This rattle - metal on metal?
Vibration of metal?
Change in RPM?
Worse at idle ?

AS for the hours........ 3 cyl diesel is almost broke in good at 875 hours assuming oils and what not have been cared for in the past.;)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you can, remove the belt and run the engine briefly to see if noise leaves or remains.

Also you can better judge a pulley's condition when it is not under V belt pressure.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Hd883chopper

Equipment
Apr 17, 2021
Covington, LA
This rattle - metal on metal?
Vibration of metal?
Change in RPM?
Worse at idle ?

AS for the hours........ 3 cyl diesel is almost broke in good at 875 hours assuming oils and what not have been cared for in the past.;)
Doesn't really have the ring and ding of metal on metal. Almost sounds like a plastic kinda sound.

It doesn't change with RPM, remains the same. The engine drowns some of it out but if I'm listening close, I can still hear it and it doesn't seem to change. Same at idle as WOT....

Oh and thanks for the opinion on the hours. I was hoping that was the case. Seems like a strong machine and I hope to keep her in good shape. Thx!

Hd883chopper

Equipment
Apr 17, 2021
Covington, LA
If you can, remove the belt and run the engine briefly to see if noise leaves or remains.

Also you can better judge a pulley's condition when it is not under V belt pressure.

Dave
Thanks, I may try this tomorrow but man, that's some close quarters in there. I'm unsure how I'd get that belt off being a rookie with this thing. I'll look at it tomorrow. I'm guessing that by removing the belt and running it for just a short time I'd know if the belt was the culprit. I don't believe its engine related, but I could be wrong. I pulled the oil cap while it was running and the noise did not get any louder or pronounced. Whew... :)