My Kubota B20, my 3 point hitch does not work.

kellyr

Equipment
Kubota B20
Sep 10, 2020
Northwest Washington
This is my buddies tractor, I am storing it for him long term. He did say that the 3 point hitch did work before he sold the tiller. The front bucket works fine so I do not think it's the pump (though I am not well versed in hydraulics). I have spun the speed control knob that is under the seat both directions and still can not get it to work. The fluid was low and I filled it up so I do not know if I need to bleed or prime something or what I need to do. I picked up a tiller to do some things around my property and I can't use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
This is my buddies tractor, I am storing it for him long term. He did say that the 3 point hitch did work before he sold the tiller. The front bucket works fine so I do not think it's the pump (though I am not well versed in hydraulics). I have spun the speed control knob that is under the seat both directions and still can not get it to work. The fluid was low and I filled it up so I do not know if I need to bleed or prime something or what I need to do. I picked up a tiller to do some things around my property and I can't use it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA
I don't recognize the B20 model, but found this note in the B2320 OP Man:

If the 3-point hitch can not be raised by setting the hydraulic control lever to the UP position after long term storage or when changing the transmission oil, turn steering wheel to the right and left several times to bleed air from the system.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There may be a diverting valve that lets the fel work or the 3PH work. Some tractors have one and some don’t. You may have to locate a operator’s manual.

What rpm did you have the tractor running when you try to lift? May want to increase RPMs and see if it changes anything.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'm not sure I understand. Does the three point not lift stuff? If you raise and lower the bucket a couple of times that should take care of any bleeding. The speed control knob only controls the speed of lowering. It lifts with hdraulic pressure but lowers by gravity. A lever to the right of the seat usually raises and lowers the three point arms. The PTO powers separately.

kellyr

Equipment
Kubota B20
Sep 10, 2020
Northwest Washington
I'm not sure I understand. Does the three point not lift stuff? If you raise and lower the bucket a couple of times that should take care of any bleeding. The speed control knob only controls the speed of lowering. It lifts with hdraulic pressure but lowers by gravity. A lever to the right of the seat usually raises and lowers the three point arms. The PTO powers separately.
First thing most people say is make sure that the speed control is not in the closed position, that is why I added that to my post. I'll try the raising and lowering to see if I can bleed the system. The PTO does work, just can't get the 3 point to go up. thanks

kellyr

Equipment
Kubota B20
Sep 10, 2020
Northwest Washington
There may be a diverting valve that lets the fel work or the 3PH work. Some tractors have one and some don’t. You may have to locate a operator’s manual.

What rpm did you have the tractor running when you try to lift? May want to increase RPMs and see if it changes anything.
I have tried with the diverter valve in the opposite position, no change, I'll try increased RPM's. Thanks

kellyr

Equipment
Kubota B20
Sep 10, 2020
Northwest Washington
I don't recognize the B20 model, but found this note in the B2320 OP Man:

If the 3-point hitch can not be raised by setting the hydraulic control lever to the UP position after long term storage or when changing the transmission oil, turn steering wheel to the right and left several times to bleed air from the system.
Thanks, I'll give it try.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
So, what 'fluid' did you put in it and how much?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may want to look at two mechanical things:
Is the lever you are moving actually rotating the shaft that goes into the tractor?

Is the feedback rod attached at both ends? This attaches to a tab on the short upper arms that pull up on the lower arms. It is usually up near the back and bottom of the seat. I believe if it is disconnected the arms won’t move under hydraulic power.

kellyr

Equipment
Kubota B20
Sep 10, 2020
Northwest Washington
Thanks for all your ideas, it ended up being the rockshaft arm is broken (completely in 2 pieces), lucky it pieces didn't end up in the rear end gears. Now I need to find a new rockshaft arm. Anyone know of where I can find a used one?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The Kubota Canada website shows new ones for CAN$300, so they might still be available from Kubota.