My BX2750D snowblower modification

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Ok, here's my attempts at a snowblower mod. My gravel driveway always has soft spots where the skids just dig in, no matter what time of the year (no heavy traffic over entire driveway/parking). Skids just do not work. I also have some uneven spots from grade differences and minor washouts.
I got two 1500lb trailer jacks and bolted them into the back of the blower, as close to the edges as possible for strength. I do have some concerns still:
1) Plastic wheels have no real bearings in them, will tend to wear out over time. How fast the wear remains to be seen.
1a) Will slush or water get into the wheel shaft and freeze up on me?
2) Will the jacks take the torque of running in float position?
3) Will the wheel roll ok on slick surfaces, or just dig in like the skids?
4) I can always replace the 8"x2" wheels with better ones with some form of bearings

I will leave the skid shoes at mid-point just in case, for now.
The advantage of these trailer jacks, if they work, is I can adjust the height to real high at the beginning of the season (2" or more), then lower the blower as the base builds up. Also, when I clear a hard landing (concrete pad), I can raise the wheels to max to allow the blower to scrape against the concrete for a full cleaning... Another benefit, cranking down the wheels raises the tongue for the quick hitch off the ground making for easier connection without sucking in some gravel...
I'm willing to hear any critical comments, especially if you have tried something like this before and had failure or success...

Steve

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Looks good Steve.

I can see your concerns too.
Kinda like my UHMW modification... time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
The issue I see is the wheels have about the same surface contact as your skies. If the skies are digging in then why wouldn't the new wheels? On my BX2755HD the skies are mounted on the sides and are much larger. Not perfect but I think due to location are size they would work better for you. Just my opinion.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
First off, congratulations on a very nicely done job! Looks very clean and professional. Thinking of a few things I own with those type of wheels like my welders, for example, they seem to last a long time with no lubrication at all. I think using a light oil before every use would solve wear and the other issues you are concerned about. The only concern I have is the hard plastic smooth wheels skidding on ice and packed snow. Even if they do, I do not think its a big deal. When I purchased a fertilizer spreader to spread some salt on my icy driveway, the guy at the hardware store said get the pneumatic tires because the hard plastic ones will just slide. Of course you need the wheels to rotate for the spreader to work. Food for thought if you do have to replace the wheels.
One suggestion I have is to mark your jacks on a level surface so you have a reference point to keep them even when you make your adjustments. Good luck!

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
The issue I see is the wheels have about the same surface contact as your skies. If the skies are digging in then why wouldn't the new wheels? On my BX2755HD the skies are mounted on the sides and are much larger. Not perfect but I think due to location are size they would work better for you. Just my opinion.
The theory with the wheels is that they rotate on top of the gravel, not slide. True, if they seize up (or freeze up), they will simply skid into the gravel just like the skids. Wider wheels would be better, but hard to find those in a trailer jack that has the weight rating, and a low mounting point.
Time will tell if this works or not. Heck, if nobody tries this, we'll never know if it's a good idea or not... Trailer jacks cost me less than $100 for both. Figured no harm in trying it.

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
One suggestion I have is to mark your jacks on a level surface so you have a reference point to keep them even when you make your adjustments. Good luck!
I park the blower/tractor in a shed/garage with a concrete floor. Easy to look at the front to adjust the height. Settings are not critical, whether it is 1.5" or 1.75", who really cares as long as I don't suck up gravel into the blower.
Reply to Yooper: As for plastic wheel sliding on ice or packed snow, that is ok because by that time, there will be no exposed gravel, and the height will be set to minimum. If sliding plastic is a problem, I'll install some "studs" (sheet metal screws?) into the plastic wheel = "studded tires". Only time I need the wheels to rotate is when I hit bare gravel. In the pictures, the wheels are already holding up the back of the blower and not sinking into the gravel yet...

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Figured no harm in trying it.
That's exactly my theory, and I'll bet you got some enjoyment doing it.

It really does look good.

You and I are dealing with the same stone driveway issue different ways.

I tried one method a while back, and was happy with the result. Now trying an improvement. If it works or not....hell, I had fun doing it!

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Hi xwild. Wheels have been working ok for the past few years. Still, with first snowfall, wheels still roll into the gravel a bit, but not any worse than the skids did. With a small base, and some gravel, wheels rotate ok, and keep the blower above the base. I usually set blower edge to around 1.5" to 2"above ground at start of season. I've only blown one shear bolt last year, a lot better than the 4 or 5 when using skids.
Biggest problem is my uneven driveway now, with wheel ruts. No amount of skids or wheels on blower can prevent blower from hitting gravel. My current solution, before I re-do driveway, is to use front plow to push the snow around until I get a thicker base and fill in the ruts. Then the blower can run normally.
With adjustable wheels, I can drop the blower all the way on concrete landings, then raise it back up for gravel driveway.
One final issue, when using blower with wheels at back, and using float mode, you tend to get "waves" in the driveway as the front of the blower goes up when a ridge hits the wheels at the back. In effect, a ripple effect. Only noticable near end of season, after many passes. I find if I use a fixed position, not float, the ripple effect is much less as it forces the blower to hold its position above ground better.
Wider wheels would be better of course.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Resurrecting an old thread as I am thinking of doing the same.

Sagor, do the trailer jacks bend at all or are they quite strong?
Would it work better with larger, air filled tires do you think?

On my blower I want to use slightly larger air filled tires and will need to offset the jack rearward somewhat as I have a larger solid metal tube "bracing bar" where the bearing and your wheel meet.
1645908112390.png

sagor

Equipment
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
Resurrecting an old thread as I am thinking of doing the same.

Sagor, do the trailer jacks bend at all or are they quite strong?
Would it work better with larger, air filled tires do you think?

On my blower I want to use slightly larger air filled tires and will need to offset the jack rearward somewhat as I have a larger solid metal tube "bracing bar" where the bearing and your wheel meet.
View attachment 75761
Hi Mike. The jacks work so far, no bending or other structural issues. Larger wheels would be better, especially wider wheels and at least 8" or 10" size or larger.
Like I said in one of my recent replies, one has to watch out for "wave" creation when in float mode, as wheels in the back lift at different times than the front cutting edge. With air filled tires, it may be easier to apply a fixed position instead of float, reducing the wave effect. Of course, the farther back the wheels are, the more likely the wave effect will happen.

Steve VE3RX

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Hi Mike. The jacks work so far, no bending or other structural issues. Larger wheels would be better, especially wider wheels and at least 8" or 10" size or larger.
Like I said in one of my recent replies, one has to watch out for "wave" creation when in float mode, as wheels in the back lift at different times than the front cutting edge. With air filled tires, it may be easier to apply a fixed position instead of float, reducing the wave effect. Of course, the farther back the wheels are, the more likely the wave effect will happen.

Steve VE3RX
Steve, VE3RX...hi hi...I know what those letters/numbers mean !( others can keep guessing, )

Tnx vy much fer ur FB info.

73 OM

Mike