My BX2200 Blowing White Smoke and Rough Idle

newman11

Equipment
Kubota BX 2200
Oct 13, 2012
Clayville, NY
Hey guys - I am new here. My first plan was to run a search but I couldn't find anything similar to my problem.

It started two weeks ago. My BX2200 would skip/studder out of nowhere during operation. I immediately planned on swapping out the fuel filters. So I did. After changing the two fuel filters I started back up. Ran for about 10-15 minutes and started to skip/studder from time to time. It wasn't consistent by any means. My Kubota dealer thought it sounded like bad fuel problem. So - they sold me some 911. I dumped 1/3 of the bottle in the tank. Let it idle for 20 minutes, ran it some and still had the same issue. Someone thought it might have been air in the fuel lines so I cracked the fuel injection lines while it was idling to see if that changed things any. They all sprayed fuel out similarly. Said the heck with it and dumped another 1/3 of the bottle in. Definitely has it's fix of 911.

Today, it was time to catch up on yard work. I mowed the lawn - no problems. I pulled the garden wagon around and no problems. However, I drove up the road to mow some of my land and the new problem started. The tractor would blow stinky white/blue smoke from the exhaust and the tractor would have poor power going up any inclines. I stopped the machine, shut off the PTO, and let it idle. It was rough but eventually smoothed out. I finished mowing the small area I was mowing and the problem persisted. After driving back to my house, pto off, it still smoked, and had a rough idle.

Any thoughts? I was thinking somehting with the fuel injectors but wanted to get your take.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How many hours on the tractor? You could have debris in the fuel tank, blocking the fuel line, or maybe a blockage in the vented cap. Obviously it could be other things, but start with the simple and free things first. How did the fuel filter look?
And, welcome to OTT.

newman11

Equipment
Kubota BX 2200
Oct 13, 2012
Clayville, NY
How many hours on the tractor? You could have debris in the fuel tank, blocking the fuel line, or maybe a blockage in the vented cap. Obviously it could be other things, but start with the simple and free things first. How did the fuel filter look?
And, welcome to OTT.
Thanks for the welcoming.
There is 523 hours on the tractor - it is a 2004.
I am not sure about the debris in the fuel tank. What is the easiest way to clean the tank? In regards to the vented cap - do you mean the fuel tank cap? Didn't know there was a vent on it - but will look into it.

Fuel filters weren't clogged but did have some blockage causing resistance.

OkieDavid

Equipment
L 3010
Aug 29, 2012
Valliant, OK
The stinky smoke may be from overloading the fuel tank with the additive. You say it operated fine while mowing and towing so to me that eliminates/reduces the likelyhood of a mechanical issue and throws it back into a fuel issue. My best advice would by to drain and replace all of the fuel with fresh fuel. It may have been the original problem was clogged fuel injector or just some moisture that was getting picked up from time to time. The fuel additive did its job eventually and cleared everything up but now you have excessive additive that is causing issues since it altered the flash point of the fuel.

newman11

Equipment
Kubota BX 2200
Oct 13, 2012
Clayville, NY
The stinky smoke may be from overloading the fuel tank with the additive. You say it operated fine while mowing and towing so to me that eliminates/reduces the likelyhood of a mechanical issue and throws it back into a fuel issue. My best advice would by to drain and replace all of the fuel with fresh fuel. It may have been the original problem was clogged fuel injector or just some moisture that was getting picked up from time to time. The fuel additive did its job eventually and cleared everything up but now you have excessive additive that is causing issues since it altered the flash point of the fuel.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. The reason I tossed more additive in it was because the skip/studder was still prevelant and my Kubota dealer said there is no such thing as "to much 911". So - with the mental stance that it couldn't hurt, I dumped more in. However, I can see where more additive would alter things. But why did I have no problems mowing the lawn, and towing? Would it be because mowing my lawn I was at half thottle and the land I was mowing when the problem occured - I was at full throttle w/ heavier grass?

Now - I have never had to clean a fuel tank. What is the easiest way to do so?

Last edited:

OkieDavid

Equipment
L 3010
Aug 29, 2012
Valliant, OK
Two ways I know of to drain a tank. First you can park on an incline and use a syphon hose to remove the fuel with the hose positioned at the lowest point in the tank. Second way is to locate where the fuel line is easiest to get to (fuel filter, fuel pump etc) and disconnect it there. Drain the tank as best you can by positioning the tractor where the most fuel will drain out. Once drained, use a flashlight and take a look at the inside of the tank as best you can. In some tanks a rag can be wired/duct taped to a piece of dowel rod and used to pick up residue that didn't drain out. Repeat as necessary. Once you've got it as clean as you can, fill it back up with clean fresh fuel. Save the old fuel for parts cleaning/brushpile burning etc. or simply leave the container sitting where a fuel thief is likely to steal it....I promise, your anger at having it stolen will quickly be replaced with a grin when you picture how their vehicle is going to act up.....

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
There is such a thing as to much 911, read the label on the bottle. Sounds like you really got no help from your dealer, he took some money and got rid of you rather than being any help.
Remove the hose from the top of your second fuel filter, put a piece of longer hose on the filter and hang it in a clean 5 gallon bucket to catch fuel. Turn the ignition key on to run position, do not start engine, this will allow your fuel pump to run. Watch how much flow you are getting from the hose into the bucket, let it pump a couple gallons out. Watch the top of your fuel tank ( flat section right under the seat) and see if it starts sucking in. If it is just loosen your fuel cap which should increase your fuel flow. If the flow drops or you are barely getting flow into the bucket the tank will need gleaned.

To clean these tanks they must be removed from the tractor which is not really a bad job.
Remove R.O.P.S., seat, screen below dash, battery,operators platform, cover between fenders and the fenders. Disconnect fuel sender, vent hose across the upper rear of tank, return line from lower left corner and supply line from front lower center of tank. Remove the 2 bolt from support brackets under rear outter corners and lift out your tank.

Dump out any fuel left in tank into a different bucket so you can see what is comming out. Pour a quart or two of fuel from the bucket you caught fuel from the pump in, slosh it a round, dump into the second bucket. Do this untill you get no debris.
Check the feul sender to see if it is held to the tank with studs or if it is just setting in the tank. If it's loose get the update kit to secure it properly as that is probably where the debris got in.

Mount tank back onto tractor, reinstall support brackets, reinstall hoses and put in a couple gallons of fuel. Set your battery back on its bracket and connect cables, turn on key and check your fuel flow. You will probably see a stronger flow into the bucket.

I would change the filter between the tank and pump. Now just put back what you took off and go play.....

newman11

Equipment
Kubota BX 2200
Oct 13, 2012
Clayville, NY
There is such a thing as to much 911, read the label on the bottle. Sounds like you really got no help from your dealer, he took some money and got rid of you rather than being any help.
Remove the hose from the top of your second fuel filter, put a piece of longer hose on the filter and hang it in a clean 5 gallon bucket to catch fuel. Turn the ignition key on to run position, do not start engine, this will allow your fuel pump to run. Watch how much flow you are getting from the hose into the bucket, let it pump a couple gallons out. Watch the top of your fuel tank ( flat section right under the seat) and see if it starts sucking in. If it is just loosen your fuel cap which should increase your fuel flow. If the flow drops or you are barely getting flow into the bucket the tank will need gleaned.

To clean these tanks they must be removed from the tractor which is not really a bad job.
Remove R.O.P.S., seat, screen below dash, battery,operators platform, cover between fenders and the fenders. Disconnect fuel sender, vent hose across the upper rear of tank, return line from lower left corner and supply line from front lower center of tank. Remove the 2 bolt from support brackets under rear outter corners and lift out your tank.

Dump out any fuel left in tank into a different bucket so you can see what is comming out. Pour a quart or two of fuel from the bucket you caught fuel from the pump in, slosh it a round, dump into the second bucket. Do this untill you get no debris.
Check the feul sender to see if it is held to the tank with studs or if it is just setting in the tank. If it's loose get the update kit to secure it properly as that is probably where the debris got in.

Mount tank back onto tractor, reinstall support brackets, reinstall hoses and put in a couple gallons of fuel. Set your battery back on its bracket and connect cables, turn on key and check your fuel flow. You will probably see a stronger flow into the bucket.

I would change the filter between the tank and pump. Now just put back what you took off and go play.....
Seems to be great advice. I will go this route. Probably will change the fuel sending unit as well if I get to the point of removing the tank.