My B2650 Grill guard is done.

joearizona

Equipment
B2650 W/LA534 Loader & BB1260 Box Scraper, 48" Pallet forks, 72" Rake
Apr 24, 2019
Hidden Valley, Arizona
I welded my grill guard in place. and painted it. Brush Guard 1.jpeg Brush Guard 2.jpg Brush Guard 3.jpg Brush Guard 1.jpeg Brush Guard 2.jpg Brush Guard 3.jpg Brush guard 4.jpg Grill guard 1.jpg Grill guard 2.jpg Grill guard 3.jpg I used a 1/2" steel rod on top & the bottom is open. I did the expanded metal to weld in & hoping to get a grapple in the near future.

Reactions: 2 users

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Looks Great, and your right, if you are getting a grapple you will need one. Apparently you didn't have any problems with the dimension changing when you took the guard off the tractor? I know when I did mine, if I took the guard off the mounting brackets opened up and would have had problems getting it back on if I would have welded off the tractor, so I built mine mounted to the tractor.

After using the grapple in the woods I almost poked a hole in the hydraulic filter from a bush that had been cut off. So just cause you can protect the grill, be aware of other bad thing that can happen. I hope to fabricate a skid plate to protect the filters under the tractor this winter if I can find time.

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
that looks very nice! I like the round rod across the top also!!

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Nicely done.

What type of mirrors you got there?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
what thickness / gauge(?) are you guys using for the expanded metal part? Im not sure what to ask my supplier for, need something a novice like me wont blow through with the mig either.

joearizona

Equipment
B2650 W/LA534 Loader & BB1260 Box Scraper, 48" Pallet forks, 72" Rake
Apr 24, 2019
Hidden Valley, Arizona
Nicely done.

What type of mirrors you got there?
Mirrors.jpg The mirrors are just some i seen on amazon I used alum angle and drilled and taped the sides of the FEL. I had to make them very tight so they didn't vibrate and move, I use them mostly to watch the sides of my box blade so is not to hit anything. they sure come in handy.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
what thickness / gauge(?) are you guys using for the expanded metal part? Im not sure what to ask my supplier for, need something a novice like me wont blow through with the mig either.
I measured my expanded metal and it appears to be about .150" thick. Might be 1/8 inch nominal thickness and after painting and rough edges it measures .150". At first I thought it might be a little too thin but the other scraps in the "shorts" bin at the welding shop were way to thick. As it turned out, once welded in place there's no doubt it's thick enough. I placed mine on the outside of the grill frame and its like trying to compress an eggshell inwards after welding it in place. I'm sure welding it in place on the back side gives the same results but I wanted all the room i could get on the back side for when opening the hood. On the B2650 there's not much space between the grill guard frame and the front of the hood.

Here's my grill guard: A $12 Kubota B2650 Grille Guard | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

You won't have any trouble welding it in place. Even with the thin metal mesh....start your arc on the heavier base metal and move it to the thin expanded metal for just enough time to accomplish the weld.

David

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I did not make a grill guard, but I did use expanded metal to fabricate a guard that covers my hood and head. I think I used 10 gauge expanded metal.

Keep in mind there are two versions of expanded metal, the standard one that is best for a non slip surface, as it has sharp edges, and a flattened type that seems better for our uses on the tractor.

I think the pictures in this thread show the flattened expanded metal.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
View attachment 51345 The mirrors are just some i seen on amazon I used alum angle and drilled and taped the sides of the FEL. I had to make them very tight so they didn't vibrate and move, I use them mostly to watch the sides of my box blade so is not to hit anything. they sure come in handy.
Nice mirror setup, but I'd need the mirrors when the snow blower is mounted on the front instead of the loader. Hmmm...

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
What ya need there is "forward view" mirrors. So you can see forwards when going backwards.

Willy Wonka has just the thing....

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I did one on my L2501, all welded in place. I already busted the bottom of it with a log. I only have 80 hours on the tractor but most of those hours have been spent in the woods, pushing tree tops, stacking burn piles, moving logs to firewood pile, etc. Im often pushing and stacking piles as they are burning so trying to go in and out fast. At some point I got too close and put a log through my grill. It broke one side of the welds on the bottom portion, so its just kinda there now, dangling. It likely saved my tractor though so I guess it did its job. You can not be too careful doing this kind of work. I never felt at anytime I got too close to something like that, but I clearly did.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
finally got around to getting the brush guard squared away on the 2601, thanks for all the inspiration in this thread.

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Man, that looks stout! Nice!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Ready to go crash sticks and branches into it 🤣
Now that is a nice looking, heavy duty brush guard!! I think you might have saved some time, though, by just mounting a locomotive "cattle guard". Maybe not quite as heavy duty but only orange paint needed! 🤣
david

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users