MX5400 Regen Time 22.5 hours and no Yellow REGEN/ light warning?

100AkerWood

Equipment
2021 Kubota MX5400 1973 Kubota B6000 1979 MF245 J-Bar Grapple, Rake & Blade
Mar 2, 2021
Lee County AL
This past weekend I was doing various "therapy" chores with the new tractor... loading #1 rock, smoothing out water diverter in a woods road, using the bucket to float/level a dozer slash pile.

After operating the tractor for a couple hours, I was bush hogging a grass field in high speed/1 gear. (@ 22-2300 rpms). The tractor just hit 22.5 hours on the meter and the Regen light came on the main dash panel. The yellow light to the regen/mode light on the left side of the steering wheel did not come on?

I did not hear a beep (I am about deaf and had ear protection on) nor did I notice an increase in rpms. I was running about 2200 rpms as it was wasn't tall grass and I am still breaking in the engine.

I stopped, read the instructions several times, noted the Regen/button was not on....so I pressed the yellow button and then pushed it again to the off position. I upped the rpms to 26-2700 (540) rpms and went on mowing. About 10 minutes later the dashboard Regen light went out.

I am wondering in anyone else has noticed the yellow Regen light not illuminating or if I was on the "quick draw" in noticing the Regen Warning? I've been real paranoid about the Regen mode and wonder if this will be a regular ` 25-hour operating concern?

Last edited:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My M5660 regens about every 20 hours and it did it this past weekend while I was using the rotary cutter. I didn't notice any buttons lighting up only the little amber "poof" icon indicator lamp in the gauge cluster. Went off in 2/10's of an hour.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Based on your description, it sounds like regen was successful.
Your engine speed was high enough at PTO speed to accomplish the regen, so no flashing yellow light was needed to prompt you to increase speed. You were in auto regen mode rather than parked mode.

100AkerWood

Equipment
2021 Kubota MX5400 1973 Kubota B6000 1979 MF245 J-Bar Grapple, Rake & Blade
Mar 2, 2021
Lee County AL
Thanks all. It is good to know to keep an extra eye on the dash panel every 20+ hours. The instructions on the fender are a little misleading as I believe it has red dash warning light + beep + and/or yellow light on dashboard.

It is also good to know that running at the higher RPMs and still being able to operate the tractor was acceptable to burn off all those bad emission bugs amoungst all my oxygen producing pine and hardwood trees so I don't create a global warming issue for those west of the Mississippi River...LOL

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks all. It is good to know to keep an extra eye on the dash panel every 20+ hours. The instructions on the fender are a little misleading as I believe it has red dash warning light + beep + and/or yellow light on dashboard.

It is also good to know that running at the higher RPMs and still being able to operate the tractor was acceptable to burn off all those bad emission bugs amoungst all my oxygen producing pine and hardwood trees so I don't create a global warming issue for those west of the Mississippi River...LOL
Actually, the regen converted that relatively harmless carbon build up into harmful Carbon-Dioxide which is much worse for the world. It’s hard to imagine what the authorities were thinking.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

Yep. No need to push any buttons for the normal auto regen. Just up the RPMs if the yellow poofy light is blinking until it quits blinking or leave it be if it isn’t blinking. Don’t reduce RPM or cut it off until the light goes out. So long as you’re working, it’s kind of a non-issue.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I hear you about the Jenglish instructions on the Fender. I believe that is for parked regen. I have never done a parked regen yet. Here is what I understand about parked regen:
Regen light comes on.
You can push inhibit button to prevent regen. Inhibit light comes on.
Park it outside, neutral gear, PTO off, parking brake on, equipment down, minimum RPM.
Push inhibit switch again to "un-inhibit" regen. Light goes out.
Push parked regen button.
RPM of the tractor is controlled automatically.
Regen is complete when RPM comes down and regen light on dash and parked button goes out.
Am I right or did I miss something?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This past weekend I was doing various "therapy" chores with the new tractor... loading #1 rock, smoothing out water diverter in a woods road, using the bucket to float/level a dozer slash pile.

After operating the tractor for a couple hours, I was bush hogging a grass field in high speed/1 gear. (@ 22-2300 rpms). The tractor just hit 22.5 hours on the meter and the Regen light came on the main dash panel. The yellow light to the regen/mode light on the left side of the steering wheel did not come on?

I did not hear a beep (I am about deaf and had ear protection on) nor did I notice an increase in rpms. I was running about 2200 rpms as it was wasn't tall grass and I am still breaking in the engine.

I stopped, read the instructions several times, noted the Regen/button was not on....so I pressed the yellow button and then pushed it again to the off position. I upped the rpms to 26-2700 (540) rpms and went on mowing. About 10 minutes later the dashboard Regen light went out.

I am wondering in anyone else has noticed the yellow Regen light not illuminating or if I was on the "quick draw" in noticing the Regen Warning? I've been real paranoid about the Regen mode and wonder if this will be a regular ` 25-hour operating concern?
The problem is which "regen light" and which button. The panels are different on the L60 series and the L01 series for example. I recommend you look at your operator's manual. It sounds ok, but better to check. You could post a picture of your panel and which button you pushed. Typically one permits it to auto regen, and unless it is a 2013 model, is on at startup and you don't need to push it. The other button is for parked regens and will not work unless you have ignored the flashing light on the dash and reached level2 soot.

None of this is typically a problem. If you keep an eye out for the flashing light and increase the rpm if asked, you can go on working no problem. Mine regens a couple times a year. About every 50 hours.

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
Actually, the regen converted that relatively harmless carbon build up into harmful Carbon-Dioxide which is much worse for the world. It’s hard to imagine what the authorities were thinking.
Agree - a lot of people complained about "smoke" from diesels. Most of that smoke was actually big pieces of carbon that harmlessly fell to the ground. Now the DPF catches that dust and uses extra fuel and a bunch of expensive catalysts mined from the earth to burn it into CO2. They knew exactly what they wanted to do, but it was a dumb solution.

The nine most scary words: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Agree - a lot of people complained about "smoke" from diesels. Most of that smoke was actually big pieces of carbon that harmlessly fell to the ground. Now the DPF catches that dust and uses extra fuel and a bunch of expensive catalysts mined from the earth to burn it into CO2. They knew exactly what they wanted to do, but it was a dumb solution.

The nine most scary words: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Or the other gov’t motto: “We’re not Happy until You’re not happy.”

Reactions: 1 users