MX5400 or MX6000?

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
Bringing this thread back from the depths for a "final" update. The SAYA finally arrived last month but the dealer was busy and I didn't need it until around now for fall food plots. Then we agreed to wait until the R14s arrived. I finally got both delivered a week or so ago. In the interim, we had an F1 tornado blow through in June and I needed a grapple "right away" so I got the grapple they had, not the one I wanted. It's OK but teeth are too short for my liking. Looking to add about 7-8" of teeth on the bottom for picking up branches, etc.

The R14s are nothing short of amazing. I had 27 hours on the R1s and what a difference. Far more stable and almost no digging into the turf. I ended up being glad I had the R1s on long enough to compare the difference in ride and performance.

So, all in all, it worked out well and the dealer has been true to his word. Happy...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Oh yeah, still don't like the pedal.
Congratulations! I have about 200 hours on two MX6000s and don't have a problem with the pedal. I simply hook my toe under if I want to back up in a controlled (slow) manner, and use my heel if I need to get the heck out of Dodge!

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
You'll eventually get used to any pedal arrangement. I will say the pedal on the Grand L series is nicer than on the MX.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You'll eventually get used to any pedal arrangement. I will say the pedal on the Grand L series is nicer than on the MX.
I would agree that the aluminum pedal in the Grand L60 tractors is nicer, and maybe the shape is better too, but I was "used" to the pedal in the MX after about 10 minutes behind the wheel.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I would agree that the aluminum pedal in the Grand L60 tractors is nicer, and maybe the shape is better too, but I was "used" to the pedal in the MX after about 10 minutes behind the wheel.
I’ll add some variety… I think it is pending individual preference. I really disliked the pedal on the L. Seemed like it encouraged leaving you foot on it as a real rocker versus choosing which direction. I like the pedal on my B and the MX (same style). Main reason I went with the MX was the pedal and lack of technology (I would have liked the tilt steering though) but I think the MX pedal is the pick of the litter for HST…IMO. 🥃

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I had an L4300 for 20 years from new and mainly used the dash throttle rather than the small foot pedal since it was gear drive MT. I'm still searching for a technique that doesn't feel awkward on the MX as I find the "cruise control" not as accurate as the throttle control on the L for maintaining a constant speed. But minor overall compared to the vast improvement in the new machine in every other way.

Otherwise thrilled with the MX. More power, more stable, better tires. I spent yesterday playing with the Tar River SAYA507 and got about 4 acres of food plots planted in a couple hours really taking my time (getting out frequently to check seeds, etc). The MX pulled it uphill without a whimper. The three point lift was working (1400# empty plus 250# weight plus 100# seed when box full), but never felt like it wouldn't lift it the whole way up.

Zero buyer's remorse.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Bringing this thread back from the depths for a "final" update. The SAYA finally arrived last month but the dealer was busy and I didn't need it until around now for fall food plots. Then we agreed to wait until the R14s arrived. I finally got both delivered a week or so ago. In the interim, we had an F1 tornado blow through in June and I needed a grapple "right away" so I got the grapple they had, not the one I wanted. It's OK but teeth are too short for my liking. Looking to add about 7-8" of teeth on the bottom for picking up branches, etc.

The R14s are nothing short of amazing. I had 27 hours on the R1s and what a difference. Far more stable and almost no digging into the turf. I ended up being glad I had the R1s on long enough to compare the difference in ride and performance.

So, all in all, it worked out well and the dealer has been true to his word. Happy...
Keadog
Now that you have some more hours on the MX with the R14s I would like to hear your opinion on them compared to the R1s you originally had.
Thanks

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
Keadog
Now that you have some more hours on the MX with the R14s I would like to hear your opinion on them compared to the R1s you originally had.
Thanks
World of difference for me. Have not been in mud though, so can't comment on that. Otherwise they feel more stable (tread width/footprint) and are without a doubt easier on turf. Still very glad I paid for the change over.

Now I'm looking for a Rim Guard dealer with a mobile service but can't find one. Would like to add ballast to rears and Multi Seal to all four wheels plus our Ranger. No luck so far.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Keadog, the R1 tires offer the best grip but they are actually not as stiff a tire as the R4 and presumably the R14, nor are they as wide. I had an MX4800 (non turbo) open station with the R1 tires, and while it was 'stable enough' with the rear rims set out to their widest position, the R4 Industrial tires are simply tougher, stiffer rubber which helps with the feeling of stability. I bought an MX6000 cab in 2022 as well, and have about 300 hours on it. The notion that it is a 'homeowner' tractor over an M is ridiculous as it is built just as well to perform the tasks it is capable of doing. I use mine commercially and will likely end up with at least 2000 hours on it before I trade it again. The MX front end is heavier duty than even a Grand L series. I looked seriously at an M6060 before choosing the MX6000. The 6060 isn't much bigger, although it does have quite a bit taller front tires. It is heavier and has a physically larger 3.3L turbo 4-cylinder compared to our 2.4L turbo 4-cylinder, despite power outputs being similar. I imagine the 3.3L is working less hard, although it is moving more weight. The two biggest drawbacks for me were the lack of HST (even with a hydraulic shuttle, loader work and slope work is so much nicer with HST), and the cab was actually more cramped. Maybe no problem for a short person, but I'm 6'6" and my knees were jammed into the steering wheel on the M6060. The MX cab does have tilt wheel, and I can tilt it all the way down and not hit my knees. Mine is spec'd much like yours, with the light material bucket (larger capacity), one set of remotes, I added all the extra work lights and wipers, arm rests, bucket rod, stereo, etc. I chose R4 tires as these are likely the widest and stiffest, but with less traction than the R14's. I moved the rear rims to their widest position and also added 2" spacers. My rear track is extremely wide and this tractor is the most stable machine I have ever run.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
World of difference for me. Have not been in mud though, so can't comment on that. Otherwise they feel more stable (tread width/footprint) and are without a doubt easier on turf. Still very glad I paid for the change over.

Now I'm looking for a Rim Guard dealer with a mobile service but can't find one. Would like to add ballast to rears and Multi Seal to all four wheels plus our Ranger. No luck so far.
Thanks for the reply,
I am going to get quotes on a MX5400 next week. The one thing I still haven’t decided on is between R1 and R14’s.
We get a decent amount of snow and I do all my wood cutting in the winter so winter traction is important for me. My current tractor is a Ford 860 with nearly new R1’s and tire chains and there have been times I could not make it up some hills and do a lot of spinning in deep snow. Granted there is no comparison between a 2 wheel drive 860 and a MX5400 but seeing I need good traction in the snow I have ruled out R4s.
My concern with R1s is with the added weight from the MX5400 how much rutting they will cause in wetter weather. The rutting with the R1s on the lighter 860 hasn’t been an issue.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The notion that it is a 'homeowner' tractor over an M is ridiculous as it is built just as well to perform the tasks it is capable of doing. I use mine commercially and will likely end up with at least 2000 hours on it before I trade it again. The MX front end is heavier duty than even a Grand L series. I looked seriously at an M6060 before choosing the MX6000. The 6060 isn't much bigger, although it does have quite a bit taller front tires. It is heavier and has a physically larger 3.3L turbo 4-cylinder compared to our 2.4L turbo 4-cylinder, despite power outputs being similar. I imagine the 3.3L is working less hard, although it is moving more weight. The two biggest drawbacks for me were the lack of HST (even with a hydraulic shuttle, loader work and slope work is so much nicer with HST), and the cab was actually more cramped. Maybe no problem for a short person, but I'm 6'6" and my knees were jammed into the steering wheel on the M6060. The MX cab does have tilt wheel, and I can tilt it all the way down and not hit my knees.
As someone who owns and uses both an MX6000 and an M6060, the M is way more tractor. That doesn't make the MX less of a tractor, but they're really not even close in so many important areas. I'm 6ft and find the M cab to be way more comfortable, significantly roomier and vastly better in the way it's laid out. And the difference in power goes far beyond the numbers on paper. I would strongly suggest that anyone looking at an MX6000 also look at an M6060, assuming that the lack of HST is not a deal breaker. The M isn't that much more, in fact, I got a much better deal on the M than the MX.

They're both good at different things but there's also a fair amount of crossover. As I've said, if I have to pick one it's the M, no doubt about it, but until that day comes I'm going to use both and enjoy both. They're both excellent Kubota products that are a pleasure to own and use.

I will say, I wish a baby M were available i.e. an MX version of the M6060 with the same layout, and an F8/R8 transmission with an available creep range. That would be perfect for my uses, but the MX6000HSTC is one amazing machine.

It's good to hear that you like your MX. I doubt that there are many who bought an MX and were disappointed. I liked the MX6000HST so much that it was an easy decision to upgrade to the MX6000HSTC.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
As someone who owns and uses both an MX6000 and an M6060, the M is way more tractor....
I don't disagree with you. But just because the MX is smaller / lighter, doesn't make it a "homeowner" machine; it is built just as well as any other Kubota tractor. Obviously you wouldn't need to make an MX tractor with a 100HP engine given its size and weight, nor would you make an MX extremely heavy but with only a 60 horsepower engine. My point is it it can be used commercially / industrially / farm use *for the capacities and capabilities it is rated for* and be expected to last as long as any other Kubota tractor. The "homeowner vs commercial" comparison is something like two versions of the same thing - let's say two zero turn mowers, both 52" mowing decks, but one with a light-duty, slower transmission, thinner gauge stamped steel deck, cheaper grade engine, no roll bar, small fuel tank, etc, etc. with the other mower having all heavy duty, name-brand expensive components. One is suited for commercial duty, while the other is suited for homeowner duty.

My city has 4 Kubota tractors - two LX cab machines with snowblowers and loaders (one for city hall complex and one for wastewater plant), a Grand L 60 for mowing at the small airport, and an M7-171 for roadside mowing. All are used commercially and rack up a lot of hours, and all will likely have the same relative lifespan although the M7 will probably last the longest as given the price, repairs are cheaper than replacement for quite a few years.

The M6060 cab is an old cab and the comparison to the M4-71 is pretty telling. The M4 is a "luxury" model like the Grand L series, except with a larger and even nicer cab. I had no issue with the M6060 cab other than space - the seat didn't go back far enough to comfortably operate the clutch and steering wheel. Otherwise, I won't dispute it is a machine more capable than any MX. However, while I did even consider an M4, I decided for my commercial mowing work the lighter and HST-equipped MX would be more productive for me. I wish the cab had all the luxury features of the L6060, but its good enough and I'm satisfied with it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't disagree with you. But just because the MX is smaller / lighter, doesn't make it a "homeowner" machine; it is built just as well as any other Kubota tractor. Obviously you wouldn't need to make an MX tractor with a 100HP engine given its size and weight, nor would you make an MX extremely heavy but with only a 60 horsepower engine. My point is it it can be used commercially / industrially / farm use *for the capacities and capabilities it is rated for* and be expected to last as long as any other Kubota tractor. The "homeowner vs commercial" comparison is something like two versions of the same thing - let's say two zero turn mowers, both 52" mowing decks, but one with a light-duty, slower transmission, thinner gauge stamped steel deck, cheaper grade engine, no roll bar, small fuel tank, etc, etc. with the other mower having all heavy duty, name-brand expensive components. One is suited for commercial duty, while the other is suited for homeowner duty.

My city has 4 Kubota tractors - two LX cab machines with snowblowers and loaders (one for city hall complex and one for wastewater plant), a Grand L 60 for mowing at the small airport, and an M7-171 for roadside mowing. All are used commercially and rack up a lot of hours, and all will likely have the same relative lifespan although the M7 will probably last the longest as given the price, repairs are cheaper than replacement for quite a few years.

The M6060 cab is an old cab and the comparison to the M4-71 is pretty telling. The M4 is a "luxury" model like the Grand L series, except with a larger and even nicer cab. I had no issue with the M6060 cab other than space - the seat didn't go back far enough to comfortably operate the clutch and steering wheel. Otherwise, I won't dispute it is a machine more capable than any MX. However, while I did even consider an M4, I decided for my commercial mowing work the lighter and HST-equipped MX would be more productive for me. I wish the cab had all the luxury features of the L6060, but its good enough and I'm satisfied with it.
Good points for sure. Yeah, the M7060/6060 are older units and the M4, M5 and up models are much more modern and far nicer on the inside, but I actually like the M6060 cab, particularly compared to the MX cab. My only complaint is the loader joystick which is bit awkward and not ideally placed, but not a big deal.

I sure hope the MX lasts for many, many years. I'm going to add insulation to the M and MX this spring to keep some of the heat out during the middle of summer when I'm pulling the flail or rotary cutter around.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yes, good idea. The MX cab is similar to the Grand L cab but more heat (and noise) comes up through the floor and fender areas on the MX then the Grand L. I might do the Dynomat reflective myself. Another area is remove the plastic cab roof completely and do the inside, and also the plastic A/C ducts.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I moved the rear rims to their widest position and also added 2" spacers. My rear track is extremely wide and this tractor is the most stable machine I have ever run.
I didn't know you could add spacers to the wheels. What brand did you use and is 2" max?

I had a Grand L with a cab and R4s and really didn't like it. But I probably blamed the tires too much when my real main problem was the high center of gravity caused by the cab. Had it less than a year and am much happier with the open station MX.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
Thanks for the reply,
I am going to get quotes on a MX5400 next week. The one thing I still haven’t decided on is between R1 and R14’s.
We get a decent amount of snow and I do all my wood cutting in the winter so winter traction is important for me. My current tractor is a Ford 860 with nearly new R1’s and tire chains and there have been times I could not make it up some hills and do a lot of spinning in deep snow. Granted there is no comparison between a 2 wheel drive 860 and a MX5400 but seeing I need good traction in the snow I have ruled out R4s.
My concern with R1s is with the added weight from the MX5400 how much rutting they will cause in wetter weather. The rutting with the R1s on the lighter 860 hasn’t been an issue.
I can't help on the traction but found that the R1s made a huge mess with deep ruts in mud for me. If it was wet and they broke through the turf I knew I would regret mowing over that spot every time going forward.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I should add I'm a very casual user. 60 acre hobby farm we live on. Deer food plots (SAYA 507), brush hogging and I used the grapple A LOT cleaning up after June's F1 that went right over us. Even with that really unpleasant week or two, I just did the 50 hour maintenance in October (I think) and it's still under 60 hours. The 2000 L4300 I traded for it had 420 hours on it.
I put far more hours on the Ventrac mower and (enclosed heated/AC cab) Ranger. But who can live without a tractor and FEL???

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I didn't know you could add spacers to the wheels. What brand did you use and is 2" max?

I had a Grand L with a cab and R4s and really didn't like it. But I probably blamed the tires too much when my real main problem was the high center of gravity caused by the cab. Had it less than a year and am much happier with the open station MX.
Bro-Tek spacers, made by small shop in Canada and good quality but there are others. Are your rear tires filled? Operating on slopes without the loader makes the tractor more stable. I am very experienced with slopes that most people probably wouldn’t be comfortable with. The cab doesn’t change things that much, as the roof is plastic and the HVAC doesn’t add much weight.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
I should add I'm a very casual user. 60 acre hobby farm we live on. Deer food plots (SAYA 507), brush hogging and I used the grapple A LOT cleaning up after June's F1 that went right over us. Even with that really unpleasant week or two, I just did the 50 hour maintenance in October (I think) and it's still under 60 hours. The 2000 L4300 I traded for it had 420 hours on it.
I put far more hours on the Ventrac mower and (enclosed heated/AC cab) Ranger. But who can live without a tractor and FEL???
Thanks again for the info.
My uses pretty much mirror yours (minus the NT drill….maybe some day!)
We have a 60 acre hobby farm also, main use will be collecting fire wood in winter, maintaining food plots, brush hogging fields and trails. I used to disk and plow but went to no till/throw & mow 4 years ago.
Grapple will be a huge help as I still have a lot of edge feathering to do along my fields, dropping a lot of trees into the fields. It will be nice to be able to grab the branches and tops with the grapple instead of having to drag them out of the fields by hand.
With the diff lock and 4x4 I am thinking the R14s would work great for me as long as I can fit them with chains.