MX5400 or MX6000?

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
Good day fellow buckeye(I hope a buckeye anyway). MX is an awesome machine. Jump up to an M is another big step…may want to consider implements you have and how they work with something as a large as an M. If no workee so well the. Plan to buy those again. I suspect an M could wad a small implement up pretty easy if you hook on something.
Thanks. Transplanted here years ago but don't follow sports. People I worked with took OSU very seriously though. It was a less enjoyable Monday when they didn't win.

Yes, it seems the move up to the M is beyond what I need. A local (real) farmer friend recommended staying with the MX, as he knows me, my property and implements. He also recommended GST over HST for my uses, so there's that as well to consider.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Only couple things would mention about MX…open station does not have tilt steering if it matters be aware and also if you do not plan to load the tires or have ballast, the loader will not do much for you (in terms of lifting over head) It’s very tippy until you load it down…I have no idea how your current L is, but MX can not use the full lift capacity of the loader over head without proper ballast being added.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I consider filled tires and proper additional ballast to be required to use the full capacity of any tractor/loader.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I consider filled tires and proper additional ballast to be required to use the full capacity of any tractor/loader.
I went most of spring and summer without ballast waiting for backhoe to arrive…tires have to come off to install the subframe and I thought that would be mean to have dealer load tires before the BH arrived. I ended up putting weights on - easy remove. Then filled tires and BH. BH makes great ballast.

Attachments

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
As an owner of both L and MX series I think both have their place, If I had to have just one it would be the MX as the front end loaders on the L will just not meet my needs. If I was making a choice between the MX5400 and MX6000 I would always go bigger, I understand the price jump is not huge and that other than HP they are the same tractor.

Good luck making a decision.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I went most of spring and summer without ballast waiting for backhoe to arrive…tires have to come off to install the subframe and I thought that would be mean to have dealer load tires before the BH arrived. I ended up putting weights on - easy remove. Then filled tires and BH. BH makes great ballast.
You can safely use the full lift capacity of your loader.

Reactions: 1 user

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
My L doesn't have ballast in the tires but I always keep an implement on the back as a counterweight (around 700# or so) and have never had a problem with the weight lifted by the FEL.

I'm down to deciding between a 6000 with HST and a 5400 with GST. Or keeping what I have "for free". And which bucket to get. I love the Piranha Bar on my L but have no experience with an OEM cutting edge and digging into dirt piles.

Price difference of about $4K isn't make or break, but it's always nice to save money if not sacrificing anything. I would usually default to more power but know nothing about the reliability/performance of the MX HST cruise control. Since most hours will be bush hogging, mowing and no till seeding, that's pretty important. The only thing I haven't liked about my current GST is when trying to move an inch or two at a time. Otherwise it has been terrific, even with non-synchro gears.

Does anyone have an MX with factory rear remote that could post pictures of the install including the switch valve? That would be helpful in deciding between factory or adding the Tractor Innovations kit myself for a hydraulic top link.

Thanks again, all.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Does anyone have an MX with factory rear remote that could post pictures of the install including the switch valve? That would be helpful in deciding between factory or adding the Tractor Innovations kit myself for a hydraulic top link.

Thanks again, all.
I have a factory rear remote, and I installed the other two myself. Very easy install.
B86598E7-58F8-47FD-A3E8-1B31B14EDD77.jpeg
479B86A7-096B-4C03-A2D3-4F86DE971D1B.jpeg
D19644C7-020B-4DF5-8202-90FB32FEFA58.jpeg
E35A28CB-44F5-494B-9FAC-F4EE4D980035.jpeg

Hardest part was attaching the levers to the valves.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My L doesn't have ballast in the tires but I always keep an implement on the back as a counterweight (around 700# or so) and have never had a problem with the weight lifted by the FEL.

I'm down to deciding between a 6000 with HST and a 5400 with GST. Or keeping what I have "for free". And which bucket to get. I love the Piranha Bar on my L but have no experience with an OEM cutting edge and digging into dirt piles.

Price difference of about $4K isn't make or break, but it's always nice to save money if not sacrificing anything. I would usually default to more power but know nothing about the reliability/performance of the MX HST cruise control. Since most hours will be bush hogging, mowing and no till seeding, that's pretty important. The only thing I haven't liked about my current GST is when trying to move an inch or two at a time. Otherwise it has been terrific, even with non-synchro gears.

Thanks again, all.
For what it is worth, my spousal unit has a manual transmission car which riding along is scary enough in itself…she never learned how to match revs…anyways she does great on the tractor but the hst makes it much easier for a helper not familiar with it…you really don’t have to worry did they take out of gear when they take foot off or is it going to lurch ahead or whatever…it’s just safer. Likewise for delicate work it’s just plain handy…hooking up implements, if you lift with straps or pallet forks, and especially if you are in a woods around trees, equipment, whatever. You can always keep a hand on the wheel and loader lever. Each type of transmission have their place depends on your preference. I think they are all very good. I don’t think you can go wrong with either tractor or transmission type. If you have a chance to drive or try both using the loader lifting pallets or something it might confirm your preference.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
This is great, thanks. So, is that the switch lever and the in/out control for a hydraulic top link?
Yes, each lever works a valve to control whatever is plugged into the tractor. Of the two side by side, the one closest to fender is the first.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
One thing the MX did good was run a 20kw generator which came in handy when the power was out at our house.
tempImageV9VZkS.jpg

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
[QUOTE="Keadog, post: 514181, member: 50665"

Yes, it seems the move up to the M is beyond what I need. A local (real) farmer friend recommended staying with the MX, as he knows me, my property and implements. He also recommended GST over HST for my uses, so there's that as well to consider.
[/QUOTE]
I am also a real farmer that has a MX-6000 and from what I read your going to do with this tractor I would go with the MX-6000 HST and never look back. I myself wouldn't have this size tractor on my farm without HST.

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
I have an MX for all the same uses you would use it for. I would sure hate to be without the HST.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Keadog, I currently have two MX6000 tractors, one open station and one with a cab, both with HST. After putting almost 10 hours on the new tractor in just a few days and over 100 hours on the "old" tractor I would recommend that you buy the MX6000 HSTC model and never look back. Both are excellent, but the cab model is much more comfortable.

The open station MX has three rear remotes, all double acting standard types. When I ordered the new MX I elected to have one double acting float valve to give me more options. It acts just like a standard valve but it has a float position so there's no downside.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've done a lot of digging with mine and the Everything Attachments Wicked tooth bar is a good addition for that and markedly better than the factor bolt on cutting edge. I have the heavy duty 72" round buckets for both of mine with the bolt on cutting edge. You can order the Wicked tooth bar with bolt holes to make it an easy swap.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have an MX for all the same uses you would use it for. I would sure hate to be without the HST.
I have a MX6000HST, after 20 years of having a gear tractor. It is so much more productive with loader work and very nice for bush hogging. For these purposes, I would never want another gear tractor.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
Thanks, all. I ended up ordering an MX6000 with FEL, R1s, light material bucket, rod indicator, seat armrests and one set of rear remotes. Due in next month, but I'm fine as long as it's here by spring. I plow with our Ranger. It was an unsold unit on order, so I think it should make it in time for better weather even with all the delays.

Did not order 3rd function valve as I don't have a grapple but am thinking it over for an extra $1350 with quick coupler "just to have it". I'm tempted to do it but don't really need it now. Thoughts?

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thanks, all. I ended up ordering an MX6000 with FEL, R1s, light material bucket, rod indicator, seat armrests and one set of rear remotes. Due in next month, but I'm fine as long as it's here by spring. I plow with our Ranger. It was an unsold unit on order, so I think it should make it in time for better weather even with all the delays.

Did not order 3rd function valve as I don't have a grapple but am thinking it over for an extra $1350 with quick coupler "just to have it". I'm tempted to do it but don't really need it now. Thoughts?
Congratulations! You won't regret it. Did you order the open station or the cab model? Personally, I prefer to get everything at the time of purchase so I would add the 3rd function, but it's easy to spend someone else's money. :)

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I've done a lot of digging with mine and the Everything Attachments Wicked tooth bar is a good addition for that and markedly better than the factor bolt on cutting edge. I have the heavy duty 72" round buckets for both of mine with the bolt on cutting edge. You can order the Wicked tooth bar with bolt holes to make it an easy swap.
I thought hard about a wicked bucket. Only a few $$ more than a bar and I would still have a smooth bucket. Ended up going with the bar.

Add 2 more remotes. Just to have....

And $1350 for a 3rd function is crazy. Summit hydraulics has what you need for $580. Install is simple.