MX5100 Root Grapple?

Cavalry

Equipment
MX5100 with all the fixins'
Apr 11, 2011
ny
I want a root grapple for my MX5100. I was leaning towards EA but, well that is not going to happen. Who else makes a good grapple and what size would be best? I am not afraid to run equipment to its limits so it should have a reputation of being stout, but at the same time I do not want to make too much sacrifice on lifting capacity because its such a beast.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I want a root grapple for my MX5100. I was leaning towards EA but, well that is not going to happen. Who else makes a good grapple and what size would be best? I am not afraid to run equipment to its limits so it should have a reputation of being stout, but at the same time I do not want to make too much sacrifice on lifting capacity because its such a beast.
Good day.

Depending on on how many lids wanting…long bottom style, correct? If EA not a consideration(I know lots of comments about EA but I am personally not sure of what going on there…I don’t think any of us are, but maybe not bad idea to look other places if doubt…seems like some smoke there at a minimum), then I would consider MTL or Virnig. LP has a nice one but I did not think it was price competitive to be a contender…maybe check that at your dealer though. Good luck. 🥃

Cavalry

Equipment
Apr 11, 2011
ny
Good day.

Depending on on how many lids wanting…long bottom style, correct? If EA not a consideration(I know lots of comments about EA but I am personally not sure of what going on there…I don’t think any of us are, but maybe not bad idea to look other places if doubt…seems like some smoke there at a minimum), then I would consider MTL or Virnig. LP has a nice one but I did not think it was price competitive to be a contender…maybe check that at your dealer though. Good luck. 🥃
I honestly am torn on how many lids. I can see the advantage on either and the disadvantage as well. By long bottom style you mean like roughly a bucket depth tine? I think I would do better with short tines like the homestead ones.
As far as using any of my local dealers, I would rather buy online and have it shipped to me. I have had enough bad encounters, snoody behavior and shit service.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I honestly am torn on how many lids. I can see the advantage on either and the disadvantage as well. By long bottom style you mean like roughly a bucket depth tine? I think I would do better with short tines like the homestead ones.
As far as using any of my local dealers, I would rather buy online and have it shipped to me. I have had enough bad encounters, snoody behavior and shit service.
I have a clam style single lid LP for my B…I understand it’s not apple to apples relative to my Mx, but for non straight logs especially large logs, they can drop out…maybe they are to big for my grapple so could be operator error too.🤪 So for that reason when I purchased for MX I went with long bottom dual lid…I think the separate lids are going to help hold odd shapes better (non straight logs or maybe they have a fork in them or something). If truly raking the ground a lot maybe a clamshell is better…for picking up and hauling back to the barn, I think the long bottom is going to work better for me. I’ve used a friends long bottom dual lid previously and for my use I think it did better so I went with that style for the Mx. YMMV. For that style as mentioned above I think MTL is worth a look…they seemed heavier built than EA and they were responsive by email. It’s worth a couple clicks to check em out IMO. Good luck. 🥃

Reactions: 1 user

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
I am a big fan of Homestead. I am running a 55" Pinnacle on my L47. Quality product, and a 10% military discount. Good Luck!

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
I ordered the homestead pinnacle 55 two days ago for my mx5100. I looked at a lot of grapples and many are 4-500lbs.
I wanted to save weight to preserve as much lift capacity as I could.
seamless on line process with Homestead. I should be moving logs with it by the end of March. They have a lighter less expensive light duty series that might have been good enough for moving logs and brush.
I was going to get ea 55 but they are not answering the phone or emails.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
WR Long are some well made grapples I think you would be happy with one of there grapples.
They also offer 3rd function kits for most Kubota tractors too

Their Website HERE

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If I had to do it over, I would get a dual lid grapple.

Many times I have dropped stuff because one side did not grip well because the other side had a big piece in it.

The one thing I was really surprised at when I started using my grapple was how bad it was at picking up a "scoop" of bucked rounds.....

It basically only does "one at a time" because one side always has a big piece in it preventing the other side from closing...

I have a Homestead Pinnacle series box blade that I have been very happy with, and I appreciated the 10% Veterans discount too.

No problems with delivery and everything was as expected. I have no experience with their grapples though.

Cavalry

Equipment
Apr 11, 2011
ny
For that style as mentioned above I think MTL is worth a look…they seemed heavier built than EA and they were responsive by email. It’s worth a couple clicks to check em out IMO. Good luck. 🥃
I kind of thought I wanted a short bottom, but the MTL look attractive. Its not Hardox, but I can face it if need be down the road.