MX5100 DT won't crank

RoamingFarm

Jan 4, 2015
Deerfield, MA
Hi folks,
When I turn the key to start, the fuel valve opens, the glow plugs get power, but the starter solendoid does not close. So the interlocks seem to be ok. Also the starting relay tests ok. Here's the real mystery - I measure 13 volts on the wire to terminal 1 of the starting relay (this is the side of the relay going to the starter solenoid) when the key is not turned. When I put a probe on this wire and accidentally shorted it to the chassis, the fuse for the high beam relay blew. Why in the world is the high beam relay connected to solenoid side of the starter relay? A similar question came up in this forum on 06-17-2011 concerning a B2320.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The control signal is a ground signal not a hot, so you can have hot and no ground, the 2 control switches are the PTO and the seat I would check those 2 switches first.
The starter system has 2 hots one that is high amperage and a control low amperage and probably the same as the high beam relay.

RoamingFarm

Jan 4, 2015
Deerfield, MA
Thanks for the info that the control signal is ground. That clears up some confusion. If I can hear the fuel valve open when I turn the key, is that proof that the interlock switches are working?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the info that the control signal is ground. That clears up some confusion. If I can hear the fuel valve open when I turn the key, is that proof that the interlock switches are working?
No, the starter interlock is controlled threw a different circuit, there is no safety on the fuel delivery.

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
This forum is a bit of a gold mine for Kubota owners and the North Idaho Wolfman is a super dude for all he contributes !!! I am very glad to have found this place and decided on Orange instead of green.