MX5000 smoking

selrahc

Sep 1, 2014
waco,texas,usa
I have a MX5000 SU that runs fine and starts fine. When I am mowing/shredder at full throttle it starts to put out white/greyish smoke. If i slow it down to half throttle or little higher it does not smoke. New fuel filter and both air filters replaced. Oil looks fine and so does radiator. No problem unless full throttle under load and warm. What's going on? Help!

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
How many hours? White/grey smoke usually means internal issues. Are you certain you are not overheating?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
White or gray smoke is not uncommon when an engine is warming up. In a warm engine it may be indicative of an incorrect fuel air ratio or moisture in some form getting into the cylinders.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
That can be a sign of the fuel not burning properly. I don’t want to say not burning because that is usually black smoke.

You may have an injector that is not spraying correctly. I noticed my 7040 doing it last year and the weather was rather cold when it happened. The fuel will not burn properly in an engine that is not hot enough. With mine, I just happened to catch it in the sun just right to see a grey haze as the engine came under heavy load. I needed to fuel up so fueled and I added some Power Service and went back to work. Within a couple of hours, the white.grey haze was gone. So, was the original fuel the problem or a sticky injector the culprit. Whatever it was, it has gone away.

Also, I keep an eye on the oil level to make sure I wasn’t gaining or losing oil. Also, the white haze smelled like diesel, not burned oil. If an injector had some buildup on it and had a bad spray pattern, that was probably the culprit.

Finally, as it gets cooler, if you make sure you warm up at increased throttle and increase the throttle if you leave the tractor. if not, you can get carbon buildup and cylinder wash down due to low engine temps.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
have seen a few of those do that. Usually either fuel quality related or injection pump related, in my experience. Possibly (but not likely) can be internal engine related. Only saw one of those, ring lands were broken due to owner using starting fluid to get it going in the morning instead of fixing the glow plug relay. MX5000DT.

Reactions: 1 user

selrahc

Sep 1, 2014
waco,texas,usa
How many hours? White/grey smoke usually means internal issues. Are you certain you are not overheating?
740 hours, bought new in 2006. Not overheating , oil is clean and coolant is fine.It only does it when warm and working like mowing or something. It does not smoke doing light work

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
If the fuel isn’t burning properly, you should be having a noticeable diesel smell. So, is there a stronger than usual diesel smell?

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I have a MX5000 SU that runs fine and starts fine. When I am mowing/shredder at full throttle it starts to put out white/greyish smoke. If i slow it down to half throttle or little higher it does not smoke. New fuel filter and both air filters replaced. Oil looks fine and so does radiator. No problem unless full throttle under load and warm. What's going on? Help!
Is your coolant level dropping? Are there bubbles in the radiator? How's the compression? It could be as simple as a leaking head gasket or as bad as a cracked head.