mx4800 leftover 2015

NS kubota

Equipment
Kubota MX4800, Norse 350 logging winch, Hla 2042 pallet forks, Woods BSS60
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have been pricing up new mx4800 & mx5200 this week and at one nearby Kubota dealer he told me he has 2 new 2015 mx 4800 hst tractors still in crates that didn't sell last year due to golf courses not buying any tractors last year. he gave me a price of $31800+tax for one, I went to the dealer today to look at them in the crates I see some of the orange piece that meets the engine bonnet is faded and the seat belts the same I didn't have a chance to see the sales person today as I was in a rush to get home. I know my dad won't be happy with the fading on a new machine and I would like to see if the dealer will come down more on his price especially of the faded parts from setting outside since last year. I guess the question I am asking myself is should we buy this tractor or just buy a 2016 mx4800/5200 especially if the price is not much more, I am not interested in buying a machine that has faded parts and warning decals that are cracked etc and have to shell out more money to make it right. Any thoughts. Thanks

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Paint is cheap!

The Kubota II orange is a one-step paint. No clearcoat. That means, you could probably buff past the fade with a buffer. The dealer can order new stickers for cheap.

This dealer wants to get rid of these because they are likely paying a bunch for them in carrying costs or they bought them outright and need to move them. Either way, they are not going for what a new one goes for.

Hammer them for a couple grand and new stickers. The worst you might have to do is spend a couple hours re-shooting the hood with a couple rattle cans of Orange II. I did mine and even the dealer cannot tell.

A deal breaker would be tire condition. If you see ANY deterioration in sidewall or exposed tread, buy new, or have the "tars" swapped.

The only other deal breaker would be corrosion. You guys get a lot more rain and snow up there than we do. Sounds like you and your dad take great care of your machines and store them inside when not in use. Rust is another reason I would want more off.

Nothing wrong with an older model -at the right price!!!

Ray

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Faded paint doesn't bother me, so I've never waxed one, but it bothers my brother and he recently polished the hood on my four year old L5740 when it was out his place and it looked new.

I seems some fading is inevitable and can be polished out, but on the pink tractors left out for years, now that's a different deal.

I personally wouldn't worry about this on a tractor, but understand some do.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
my 4060 I bought recently was the same. they repainted it, put new plastics, new cowl, new steering wheel, new seat, new control knobs, and all new stickers and it looked great, they did it free of charge and I got a good deal on it.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
The MX4800 doesn't come with the extendable lower links or telescoping stabilizers as a standard, but the MX5200 does. That was one of the reasons I went with the MX5200 (plus the extra HP may come in handy).

The telescoping stabilizers are awesome and while the extendable links do help with implement hookup I had a lot of trouble with implement detachment and wound up installing some Pat's Quick hitches we had which make hookup and detachment very easy. I plan on getting some Pat's hitches that replace the extendable links so they don't add length to the arms.

The dealer can order the extendable link arms and telescoping stabilizers separately for the MX4800 though. Just something to think about.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
If I did my conversion right, $31,800 CD converts to about $24,500 USD - correct? If so, that seems on par with the negotiated price I got on 2015 last Fall. Fortunately we have tax exempt due to ag use. Anyway, all in with loader, box blade, and shredder, delivered was just over $28K.

Of course, no faded paint on mine and it would have irritated me if there were, unless I had used it to negotiate. I don't think the year really impacts price a great deal, but guessing you can ask for a bit more, or at least get implement(s) in the negotiations - or loaded tires, or extendable links, or 3rd function, etc.

One more point on extendable links, and sorry, just my humble opinion, but I went instead with the Woods Quick Hitch for $250. It took some adjustment to get right, but now that it is adjusted properly I've found that I can switch between implements within a minute or two with the exception of the mower and hooking up PTO shaft. I think extendables would be nice, but to me, no way would that keep me from a good deal.

Everyone's needs are different, but I've been really satisfied with my MX4800 in the 70 or so hours I've logged so far. Good luck!

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
If I did my conversion right, $31,800 CD converts to about $24,500 USD - correct? If so, that seems on par with the negotiated price I got on 2015 last Fall. Fortunately we have tax exempt due to ag use. Anyway, all in with loader, box blade, and shredder, delivered was just over $28K.

Of course, no faded paint on mine and it would have irritated me if there were, unless I had used it to negotiate. I don't think the year really impacts price a great deal, but guessing you can ask for a bit more, or at least get implement(s) in the negotiations - or loaded tires, or extendable links, or 3rd function, etc.

One more point on extendable links, and sorry, just my humble opinion, but I went instead with the Woods Quick Hitch for $250. It took some adjustment to get right, but now that it is adjusted properly I've found that I can switch between implements within a minute or two with the exception of the mower and hooking up PTO shaft. I think extendables would be nice, but to me, no way would that keep me from a good deal.

Everyone's needs are different, but I've been really satisfied with my MX4800 in the 70 or so hours I've logged so far. Good luck!
I love, love, love my MX 5100, but would not hesitate to get the MX4800 if the price was right. BUT, these things are so expensive, use anything you can as a bargaining tool!! That MX 5800 sure looks SWEEEEEET though!!!!

Doc

Last edited:

NS kubota

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks guys for all the great input all good things to consider. My Dad and I are going to the dealer next week to look at the 2015 mx4800 in the crates, I told him what I saw with the tractor he doesn't seem bothered by the fading as long as the dealer will make it right especially if they might knock more off the price, but I want to look at the bucket/loader and the tires to make sure they aren't weather cracked etc. Dad was especially impressed by the price and the 6 year power train warranty. I am going to the dealer to talk to the salesman tomorrow to make sure they can put both crates on the ground so we can have a good inspection of both and than make a decision. Thanks

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
That's great if you have implements with the same widths or you buy them to fit, but when you already have implements with different widths it doesn't work too well. That's why I went with the Pat's hitch (plus we had them laying around not being used). I think I have about 4 different widths with the sprayer and fertilizer spreader seeming to be oddball widths.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
Understand completely deerslayer. I know lots of folks have reported that retrofitting implements to QH sometimes doesn't work, or takes lots of modification. I am fortunate (if you can call it that) that I started from zero and was able to purchase implements, some used, that were QH compatible.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
If the units are 9 to 12 months old, depending on the program they ordered it under. They will want to get rid of those units at a better price because they have become interest bearing!

Pat

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would think the dealer would get at least one of them uncrated and set up so they can sell them if that old. Not going to sell well in a crate.

Last edited:

NS kubota

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have some good news on the MX 4800. I had a chance to go over to the dealer after work today, salesman I have been talking to was gone for the day but had the opportunity of speaking to another sales guy, we took a look at the tractors setting in the crate and found the tractor on the bottom (tractors stacked one on the other) had little to no rust staining on the frame and body and not any noticeable fading do to the fact it still has the plastic covering it. I am going to email the salesman I go the pricing from and see if we can pick the bottom tractor and ask him if he can do any better on price, it is worth a shot worst he can say is no. I found out from our local dealer we bought the L3901 from that in order for them to get to a MX4800 to sell us they would have to buy it from another dealer in Canada as Kubota doesn't have any stock left causing the price to be $2900+tax more so the this tractor is a good buy for sure, my Dad was quite please with the news as well.

NS kubota

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well I guess we are getting the MX4800, Dad had a chance to look at it yesterday in the crate and gave me the ok to carry forward so tomorrow I will be putting a deposit to hold the tractor until they put it together. I asked the sales person if he was hard on his price said if I had a number I wanted to get to he would do his best to get there, maybe I can get some stuff thrown in, any ideas or thoughts on this? thanks

Last edited: