MX with SA20 auger performance

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I am considering SA20 hydraulic auger for loader on MX6000 and wonder about performance. Primary usage will be in clay and am wonder enough flow to utilize to dig 12” diameter post holes 48” deep. This is North East Ohio clay in snow belt if it makes a difference. Seems like flow of tractor on low end of the tolerance for the implement. Any advice based on use with implement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I use a pto driven auger with great success, I know some tractor owners have used their front loader for a hydraulic auger but I have to believe that performance is moderate at best.

I have a high flow track loader, when I try to use attachments in normal flow mode they are at best 25% effective.

if you need a few holes OK, if you plan to auger a lot of holes I would not suggest a front loader solution where you are running at nearly minimum flow rate. The specified flow rate of 6-30gpm is extremely wide range. In my experience the attachment hydraulic motor needs to be matched much closer to the anticipated flow rate.

however I don’t own a SA20 And have never used one! There is a Messicks video on You Tube, I recommend you watch it, they evaluate SA20 on low flow minimum hydraulics.

Last edited:

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I have a Digga auger with a 9” rock bit on my LX2610. It works great for me. Yes it’s slower but I like that I can raise it out of the hole with my loader and reverse direction if it gets caught on something.

look at Everything Attachments, then call and talk to them. That’s where I got my Digga from. They can help with the best model for your needs. They helped me out with a model i wasn’t even aware of
5C5D09FD-D18A-4D0D-B565-082A0DA82CCD.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I have a Digga auger with a 9” rock bit on my LX2610.
@Njtool does that mount plate allow you to slide the head along the frame?

I would like to get one of these in the near future, not sure if I will go with LP, Auger Torque, Belltec or Digga.

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Any reason you chose EA Digga over a land pride?
Yep. The wait for LP was crazy so I started looking around. I saw the Digga on the EA website and I called them. Turns out there were models I didn’t know they had and the smallest one was perfect for my tractor.

I also like that they have normal bits and rock bits. I got the rock bit. And the hub where the bit attaches to the drive is an octogon. The pin just stops it from falling off. No torque is applied to the holding pin. That seems better than a round connection that takes shear bolts etc.

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
@Njtool does that mount plate allow you to slide the head along the frame?

I would like to get one of these in the near future, not sure if I will go with LP, Auger Torque, Belltec or Digga.
The model I have is welded to the center. Maybe the bigger models have adjustable drives. If you call EA, they are very helpful. They matched my pumps gpm to the proper model.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
The Digga product range includes an agricultural range which has hydraulic motors with a much more narrow range when compared with the SA20, this will give you the ability to match the auger performance much better to your tractor.

The typical low hydraulic flow rate on the tractor will only provide you with a certain power and torque level. This may be OK for many low volume users with occasional needs.

I'm impressed with Digga's product range, they have lots of offerings, I may just have to look further as the tractor rear pto version is not the most convenient attachment, I would look for one for use with my high flow skid steer. Working out in front with better depth control is such a better option.

Good luck in your search, if you end up buying a unit, please share your thoughts and reviews.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The Digga product range includes an agricultural range which has hydraulic motors with a much more narrow range when compared with the SA20, this will give you the ability to match the auger performance much better to your tractor.
I Theflow rate on the tractor will only provide you with a certain power and torque level. This may be OK for many low volume users with occasional needs.

I'm impressed with Digga's product range, they have lots of offerings, I may just have to look further as the tractor rear pto version is not the most convenient attachment, I would look for one for use with my high flow skid steer. Working out in front with better depth control is such a better option.

Good luck in your search, if you end up buying a unit, please share your thoughts and reviews.
I am not as worried about speed as I am grunt….I have clay and so far I have only found a messicks video the soil looked like nestle quick powder. I can only image would be more resistance in clay.
It was a smaller tractor, but the flow would not have been that much less than my Mx. speed was fine…I am only wanted to do some post holes and some fencing at a leisurely pace. But I worry about would I be happy with the performance.

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I am not as worried about speed as I am grunt….I have clay and so far I have only found a messicks video the soil looked like nestle quick powder. I can only image would be more resistance in clay.
It was a smaller tractor, but the flow would not have been that much less than my Mx. speed was fine…I am only wanted to do some post holes and some fencing at a leisurely pace. But I worry about would I be happy with the performance.
I used my Digga in heavy heavy clay and it did great. No problems what do ever. This was solid clay, I went down past the red clay and into blue clay. It was sticky and heavy. We could barely clean the bit off with our hands when we were done. But the bit went past the 3’ mark with ease.
According to the chart on EA website, the Digga DDD puts out about 500 foot pounds with the hydraulic pressure my LX2610 puts out.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That helps. I assume any brand produces similar amount of grunt…Mx should be fine you think?

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
That helps. I assume any brand produces similar amount of grunt…Mx should be fine you think?
The MX6000 pumps 9.5 gpm. That’s a lot more than my little tractor. You should be fine.

I would call EA and talk to them. They will be very helpful and they will help match you with the proper size unit.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
The Land Pride SA20 comes in 3 different flow rates if you get the low flow rate motor it will work well on your MX. I ran one on a MX5800 I used to have and it worked really nice with a 9" bit.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks Ed. My dealer seemed to think it was a non issue with a 12” so long as speed is not my priority. They suggest I start and try with the 3rd function that is piped to the loader. If not satisfied they said we can pipe it to the extra remotes at the back. Thoughts?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have literally drilled thousands of holes with my hydraulic auger on my B2650 with only 5gpm flow. You should be fine.

Up here in NH the pto augers spend more time stuck in the hole than they do drilling. NO down pressure, NO reverse, NO control, NO comfort, NO THANKS!

If I have really nasty digging to do I will use my mini excavator because between the auger, the bucket and the hammer there is no hole up here I can't do. At the same time the tractor is a lot lower impact than the mini is on the ground and landscape.

12in bit - 65 holes for a baseball field 90 minutes from load to load.
game-on-3.jpg

snow.jpg

For speed and power, the mini wins.

Sat-4.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have literally drilled thousands of holes with my hydraulic auger on my B2650 with only 5gpm flow. You should be fine.

Up here in NH the pto augers spend more time stuck in the hole than they do drilling. NO down pressure, NO reverse, NO control, NO comfort, NO THANKS!

If I have really nasty digging to do I will use my mini excavator because between the auger, the bucket and the hammer there is no hole up here I can't do. At the same time the tractor is a lot lower impact than the mini is on the ground and landscape.

View attachment 69689

View attachment 69690

View attachment 69692
Thanks.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That convinced me more if the b can use it as well. Would be fairly common then that I could use with either my b or MX. Thanks again for the suggestions.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
N

View attachment 69689

View attachment 69690

View attachment 69692
Nice ballast and fire extinguisher set up…how much does the block weigh?