MX auxiliary light circuit

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
My MX has provisions for lights under each rear fender. I've read this is a 5 amp max circuit. If that's correct does that mean a combined 5 amp max between the two or 5 amps per side?

And correct me if I'm wrong but does 5 amps mean a total of 60 watts? Thanks.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
What are you looking to use them for? And if both sides are on the same fuse then it would be 5 amps combined, 5 amps seems pretty low for a light circuit.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If I remember correctly there is a 10 amp fuse in that position of the fuse box.

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
What are you looking to use them for? And if both sides are on the same fuse then it would be 5 amps combined, 5 amps seems pretty low for a light circuit.
I want to add LED lights but I don't want to run a new circuit. I agree, 5 amps seems low but that's just what I read somewhere else. I'll check the fuse box.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
My MX included the dealer installed work light kit kit from kubota. Believe it is a 55 watt bulb. DC amps = watts/voltage. So just under 5 amps. Did not look at OM for fuse designation but can't believe circuit is rated at < 10 A.

On the opposite fender, I have connected LED lighting and powered the solenoids for the diverter valve. No power issues, but this circuit is unswitched as it is activated by ignition key, lights will be constant on when tractor operating w/o additional switch.

The Kubota work light has it's own integral switch on the rear of fixture.

Last edited:

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I'd just check what that cicuit is fused for and go by that. My little BX 1880 had its aux lights on a 10A fuse.

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
So I finally got around to checking the fuse box like I should have done in the first place. The work light fuse is 15 amps! Lol, I think I'll be ok.

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
I wanted to add lights off of the tail lights and they run off of a 5 amp circuit, not the 15 amp work lights circuit. The 5 amp circuit is for the light switch too.

I wasn't able to determine if that 15 amp work light circuit even ran to the back of the tractor.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
I wanted to add lights off of the tail lights and they run off of a 5 amp circuit, not the 15 amp work lights circuit. The 5 amp circuit is for the light switch too.

I wasn't able to determine if that 15 amp work light circuit even ran to the back of the tractor.

Do you mean that you spliced into your tail light circuit or you used the extra wires that don't go to anything? I have open hookups under each rear fender. I assumed these are the "work light" circuit which is 15 amps on my box but I'll check to be sure.

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
I did. I was going to do that too. However, it was hot all the time and I didn't want to add a switch. I may do that later. I ran out of time.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I did. I was going to do that too. However, it was hot all the time and I didn't want to add a switch. I may do that later. I ran out of time.

Where there three wires in that spare bundle? The black is neg and there should be two reds...one with a blue stripe. One of the reds is "always on" and the other is only on when keyed...at least with my setup.

I confirmed this spare rig ran off the "aux lighting" circuit in the fuse box when I blew the fuse by shorting it out by mistake during installation.

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
I will have to look into that. I do remember three wires, so I may have not tested it correctly.

Thanks!

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
For those interested I tested the extra wires under the fenders and they are indeed the 15 amp work light circuit. They are switched on with the ignition switch. This is in a 2018 MX5200