Multimeter Recommendation

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I have several - an old analog Micronta, a couple of Princess Auto Hot Deals and even a Harbour Freight freebee. Probably time to get something a little more capable and trustworthy. Will be used on all the usual automotive (and yes, batteries), pumps, home electrical type stuff. Hope to keep it under $250 but all depends on what I hear.

Appreciate any advice.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You can get decent meters from $20. And will do the same things a $250 meter.

Just went through a JD electrical class. They used Fluke meters that they paid $80 each.

One of the meters in class caked out (fuses). So I went out to my service truck and grabbed the $20 greenly meter that I purchased from home depot years ago.

I was getting the same readings as those fluke meters.

For basics around the home and shop, you don't need anything fancy.

If they start acting goofy, most likely it's a low battery.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You can get decent meters from $20. And will do the same things a $250 meter.

Just went through a JD electrical class. They used Fluke meters that they paid $80 each.

One of the meters in class caked out (fuses). So I went out to my service truck and grabbed the $20 greenly meter that I purchased from home depot years ago.

I was getting the same readings as those fluke meters.

For basics around the home and shop, you don't need anything fancy.

If they start acting goofy, most likely it's a low battery.
I have had a Fluke meter for many years.
Excellent piece of equipment!

Reactions: 2 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have had a Fluke meter for many years.
Excellent piece of equipment!
I have a Cadillac one from the snap-on truck that will do pretty much anything and everything.

Got it when we had quite a few generators at work and was having to measure frequency to dial in motors.

The cheap one stays on the service truck and my good one stays locked in my toolbox at the shop. 😁😁😁😁

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The modern el cheapo digital model with a CAT II rating will be more than accurate enough for automotive work and general household outlet or appliance checks in a dry environment.

The difference between the big box store meters and the professional (eg: Fluke) meters is the CAT rating of both the meter and the leads. The pro models rated CAT III or CAT IV will be rated to safely handle higher transients and have design features like safety fuses, wide trace separations, isolated terminals, thicker traces, etc. They also tend to be more durable when bouncing around in a tool box.

I have 1 Fluke in the shop, and various el cheapo models in the house and cars.

Reactions: 1 users

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Thanks all - I did look at a couple of Fluke models on line - pricey and it seems the higher end models want plug power and the lower end stuff had warrantee limits outside China. Saw a couple of Kleins that looked a little more affordable (MM700 @ $130). Not sure how I would judge the capability/ accuracy of the cheaper no names (and I have several of those). Having one I know I could trust would be good.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Any of the lower cost (<$100) units (Mastech, UNI-T, Amprobe, etc) are fine for general use.

Auto-range vs manual select are a personal preference. Manual ones do tend to keep you focused more on what task you are performing.

But figure on buying a good set of leads. Most of the budget meters have crappy leads. Interchangeable tips (pointed probe, clamps) are a plus.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I don't think there's one meter that has everything I'd like:
* digital VOM
* analog VOM
* clamp-on AC current
* clamp-on DC current
* optional - frequency, capacitance, inductance, temperature/IR temperature, tachometer

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
"I don't think there's one meter that has everything I'd like:"

My challenge is making sure I pick one that has everything I might reasonably need - some of the labeling is not always clear to me.

"ES-Electronics Specialites is a good unit at reasonable pricing."

Kind of like the look of the Electronic Specialties 485 Self Calibrating True RMS Digital. Will have a further look.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
A lower end Fluke or Klein will do you just fine. As mentioned, durability will be the biggest difference between them and the no-names, for automotive purposes.

+10 on the comment about good leads. Get good leads, and get a bunch of HF alligator leads for messing around.

But do yourself a big favor and get an insulation piercing probe for testing wiring. It will save you jabbing yourself.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The modern el cheapo digital model with a CAT II rating will be more than accurate enough for automotive work and general household outlet or appliance checks in a dry environment.

The difference between the big box store meters and the professional (eg: Fluke) meters is the CAT rating of both the meter and the leads. The pro models rated CAT III or CAT IV will be rated to safely handle higher transients and have design features like safety fuses, wide trace separations, isolated terminals, thicker traces, etc. They also tend to be more durable when bouncing around in a tool box.

I have 1 Fluke in the shop, and various el cheapo models in the house and cars.
Be careful with no-name el cheapo models

especially if you are dealing with high voltages. I've seen a lot of garbage out of china where something looks like it has 12 gauge wires but when you strip them back you find a few 30 gauge wires surrounded by a thick cheap insulator.

CAT II rating is often the name of the chinese villiage your coloured plastic garbage was assembled in

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I don't think there's one meter that has everything I'd like:
* digital VOM
* analog VOM
* clamp-on AC current
* clamp-on DC current
* optional - frequency, capacitance, inductance, temperature/IR temperature, tachometer
Most low cost meters are just fine as has been said. I've got a cheapo that I don't mind getting a little dirty.
Clamp-on DC current is not easy to Engineer, way more complex than clamp-on AC.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Most low cost meters are just fine as has been said. I've got a cheapo that I don't mind getting a little dirty.
Clamp-on DC current is not easy to Engineer, way more complex than clamp-on AC.
Fluke 337 is clamp on AC & DC voltage and Amp meter also its Cat 3 rated.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My 'goto' DVM is a Fluke....but I also have 3 of the Mastercraft $20 (?) units..'here and there'.

Nowadays ANY DVM will be OK for 'general trouble shooting'
BUT....

Be sure to get one WITH a 'buzzer' for low ohms/continuity, a LOUD buzzer......

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
My fluke 87 from work was the gold watch I got when I retired. My supervisor told me when I left it as i considered it company property he was giving it to me in place of the nonexistent watch. Still is the one I use when trying to do things where you need the meter in one place while you wiggle or toggle a switch because of record funtion. I have 3 cheaper ones but all of them the fatal mistake can be going from ohms continueity to voltage without changing settings or probe and you "let the smoke out". The fluke has a fuse and beeps if you change to ohms with the probe plugged in wrong but that fuse is probably getting close to $20 now so not a cheap mistake but protects the meter.

Bill

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
"get an insulation piercing probe"
now that's something I could have used in the past. good to know about it

"get one WITH a 'buzzer' for low ohms/continuity"
yes that's a must with me; seems like I use that a lot