Multi-Metal Rust Risk? Should I just weld this sucker?

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
The "Press" as earned it's keep!!!! I'v used it for a bunch of stuff. Here's a couple...

20160521_092724.jpg

20160522_121610.jpg

20160918_174520.jpg

20160919_184205.jpg

20160922_121658.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Wow, great thread. I think OP went from half-ass to totally decent fabricator in the span of one little project.. Hoping this wont be the last self built mod/addition we get to see!!

Im also a big fan of my 20 ton hf press. Everyone should have a shop press and get over any fear of using it. They’re really only limited by the width between the rails and ypur creativity.. they can do a lot!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
Wow, great thread. I think OP went from half-ass to totally decent fabricator in the span of one little project.. Hoping this wont be the last self built mod/addition we get to see!!

Im also a big fan of my 20 ton hf press. Everyone should have a shop press and get over any fear of using it. They’re really only limited by the width between the rails and ypur creativity.. they can do a lot!
Can that press punch 1/4 holes in 1/4 steel?

I make a lot of brackets and plates and stuff for projects around the house and yard. They just don’t make brackets as obscure as I feel they should!

But in my shop (2-car garage attached to our kitchen), those drill shavings become a sore subject w/ a wife who feels it’s important for her and the kids to be able to walk around the house barefoot 😅

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
But in my shop (2-car garage attached to our kitchen), those drill shavings become a sore subject w/ a wife who feels it’s important for her and the kids to be able to walk around the house barefoot 😅
With an attached garage and "metal shop" in the basement, we decided long ago that "shoes on" in the house was the way to go.

• Love

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I've got to admit.. I dont know that i have anything (as far as a bit/punch/broach) that would punch through 1/4" steel more than a time or two before it needed to be 'geometrically restored'.. But ballparking it mentally i do think the press COULD make that punch.

This isn't going to cover every need but you CAN buy 1/8" steel 'mounting tabs' with predrilled 3/8" holes pretty cheap in bulk on Amazon. I would certainly pay $17 to avoid drilling 50 holes and making 50 cuts and rounding 100 corners, if all you were going to end up with was something like this anyway. Stack two and weld the edges and it's a 1/4" thick. :unsure:
50pck mounting tabs $17

You can also find pre-fabricated larger mounting tabs from off-road fabrication companies or companies that build truck bumpers, etc. For example, i googled D-ring tab and found this:
big tabs

As far as the drilling stuff, what i typically do is stand up some magnets around the hole im drilling.

If you want to pull the 'swarf' (improper term?) off the magnet easier you can wrap it in a paper towel or put it inside a disposable glove. Or, if you have compressed air in the shop ive found that i can 'clean' shavings off a magnet just fine with a blow gun. Obviously, caution and eye protection should go along with that one.
image_15148.jpg

Magnet Tool
I also have a magnetic pickup tool from HF with a quick-release handle that lifts the magnet off the bottom to let things drop off it. Obviously there are magnetic brooms but they're pricier and don't fit all around the feet/pedestals of drill presses, bench grinders, etc. This thing is just a 4" wide magnetic broom that fits everywhere, and then i pull the release while banging it on the lip of the trash can and everything falls in. Very convenient cleaning tool for $12.

Another thing i do with it is if i need to find a nut or bolt out of a bucket of mixed hardware (of which i have many..) i just dump that thing out on the shop floor, spread it around with my hands, pick out the things i need, and then use the magnet to load all the rest back into the bucket in 5-10 passes vs picking up 200 little pieces by hand. Ive also used this method just to clean out buckets of hardware that sat for years accumulating dust because the magnet wont pick up the dust. So you dump it all out, magnet it back in, and sweep up/out all the dirt left behind.

Last edited:

keith204

Equipment
B2601
Mar 21, 2022
Missouri
Damn you upped you game significantly. That is one heck of an improvement. Those bends, that’s money. No way I could do that.
Oh, you'd be surprised. The process is simpler than the internet makes it sound: 1) get over your fear (without qualified reason) 2) bend it (without maths), 3) realize it doesn't work, 4) re-bend it, 5) straighten it a bit to undo your bend, causing metal fatigue that'll surely wreck your project one day, 6) re-bend it, 7) straighten it a bit, 8) re-bend it willy-nilly style, 9) go to #3 until voila!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
This is the perfect answer. I have the one w/ the wheels, and it's just too clumsy for the workbench tops. This is perfect. Thanks!
Me too. This site has cost me a few bucks at HF and gained me some slick tools, even if they won’t last forever.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Oh, you'd be surprised. The process is simpler than the internet makes it sound: 1) get over your fear (without qualified reason) 2) bend it (without maths), 3) realize it doesn't work, 4) re-bend it, 5) straighten it a bit to undo your bend, causing metal fatigue that'll surely wreck your project one day, 6) re-bend it, 7) straighten it a bit, 8) re-bend it willy-nilly style, 9) go to #3 until voila!
Trial and error is nearly as good as planning and skill sometimes, especially if the skill is in progress. I think I provide some humor to my millwright buddy sometimes. I say I may be slow, but I sure am slow.

• Haha

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Me too. This site has cost me a few bucks at HF and gained me some slick tools, even if they won’t last forever.
Well I couldn’t stand it. Now I too own a magnet in a stick.