Mowing patterns

Roon

Equipment
L4400
May 20, 2020
Australia
I have an L4400 with a 6' flail mower and I can't find any articles online showing "mowing patterns". I want to avoid having a small narrow strip at the end of my mowing cycle (starting on the perimeter of a field). The small narrow strip at the end means lots of tight turns and this results in the ground getting lumpy. I'd prefer to have as much long, open turns as possible even if it takes a bit longer. Any hints or links to optimal field patterns please?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have an L4400 with a 6' flail mower and I can't find any articles online showing "mowing patterns". I want to avoid having a small narrow strip at the end of my mowing cycle (starting on the perimeter of a field). The small narrow strip at the end means lots of tight turns and this results in the ground getting lumpy. I'd prefer to have as much long, open turns as possible even if it takes a bit longer. Any hints or links to optimal field patterns please?
This should be interesting. I'm not sure I can explain this without diagrams but here goes. This is a carry over from when we had a pull-behind cutter which really didn't like sharp turns. It avoids sharp turns and having to slow down.
First, go around the field several times so you have room to make turns at the ends. Then cut down one side (usually a long side but sometimes a short side works better - you'll learn). As you get to the end, make a standard 180 deg turn back into the field. Cut a swath parallel to the previous cut edge back to the other end. Then make a 180 back to the first cut. Repeat until you've cut the final strip. Then start over. Some practice and experience pays off. For example, you need to be able to eye-ball that initial swath parallel so you end up with a uniform strip at the end. And when you get to the last section you'll want to split it in half so you don't end up with a narrow strip to finish. I usually start on the right side of the field and make all left turns, but that's just me.
Let's see what others got.

Reactions: 1 user

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
This is how I used to do it.

First pass at the edge. Second pass after a comfortable turn. Third pass next to the first, fourth pass next to the second. Same large turns all across the field.

fieldpattern.jpg

Bruce

Reactions: 1 users

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
And you were posting while I was looking for online patterns, then drawing. :)

Bruce

Roon

Equipment
L4400
May 20, 2020
Australia
After posting this I lay down for a snooze and let my mind picture it and came up with the same pattern, makes sense to just "shift across" an easy, open rectangle and use the "spare runs" to clean up any fiddly bits (none of my mowing areas are regular shape and are undulating, steep or have rocks/small clumps of brush etc scattered throughout)
Ill give it a go this week as I have 10 acres of weed regrowth to tackle...

blperk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200, FEL, Betstco 63" flail mower, B2782b front snowblower
Dec 25, 2018
Canandaigua, NY
These descriptions are how I mow with my flail, and I've always called it a "Zamboni pattern". Just go to YouTube and search "Zamboni clearing ice", and you will see the exact pattern. Zambonis can't make sharp turns, and that's exactly what we're trying to duplicate.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
If you find a farmer who still uses cultivators this is basically the pattern they use. It is often used in farming with their larger implements for making suitable turns. One reason for gps so they can run the parallel keeping them spaced and on line. ZTR are popular for their ability to easy turn back into the cut just made. Of course if not careful you tear the lawn with each turn around. I have wondered about the benefit of gps on mower, to me could be many. One help on overlapping.

One caution on any pattern is you need to keep moving it in direction or design to prevent your tires riding the same path over and over.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have some irregular shaped fields and when I mow them I begin with a trip around the entire edge getting as close to the fence as I dare. Maybe even two laps. Then deside how much I am going to mow that day and choose a target tree, post or other object on the far side and head towards it. When I get to the previously mowed area (I now have plenty of room to maneuver without worrying about not mowing something while turning) I go over and head back using the pattern BCP detailed.

You can change it up however you feel for the day. Most important is don't run over any wire with a flail or you hear loud noises! And don't leave any spots of tall grass when done. No one will stop and scold you for the way you are cutting a field, they just look at you as a habit!! 😁 😁

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Pretty interesting - I started flail mowing commercially 6 years ago, and of course started at the perimeter and then kept going around until I got to the end which was usually a small section with tighter and tighter turns. I realized these sharp turns took more time, and eventually "came up" with the idea of mowing parallel sections on my own. It made sense. It doesn't work everywhere, but usually a couple of passes around the perimeter to start followed by parallel turns is the fastest way.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
This is how I used to do it.

First pass at the edge. Second pass after a comfortable turn. Third pass next to the first, fourth pass next to the second. Same large turns all across the field.

View attachment 47275

Bruce
Common pattern once used for plowing/discing with "large" trailing plows/discs in large or at least rectangular shaped areas.

Not at all applicable to most of my areas.

Accordingly, I use multiple tractors mounted with mowers of various size.

Still trying to sort out if the new Woods BW15.50 bat wing will prove useful or find itself in the dustbin of other failed "solutions" along with the Woods MDS1260 and BB840X Not looking good so far. Save lots of time covering ground but give much back turning, cleaning, servicing, etc.

SDT