Mowing Options?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I have a L3130 ( 31 HP ). I also have a 5' Land Pride Rotary Mower currently on the rear.

I'm seeding 18 acres of CSP Wildlife habitat which will require mowing several times per year the first few years and the occasionally there after. I will also have to regularly mow some field edges, water ways, etc.

I'm kicking around a larger mower to help with mowing time but I believe I can only go with a 6' rotary on my little Kubota. Any suggestions? I've been looking at some old sickle bar mower but they seem to be antiques requiring a ton of maintenance.

I don't have rear hydraulics which eliminates some of the larger tow style rotaries. Ideas?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
18 acres seeded as wildlife habitat and you want to mow it? If you are letting land go to pot why bother mowing? Speculators around here just let the weeds and weed trees grow until there's 18 acres of buckthorn and goldenrod.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeesh, that's a LOT of grass to cut 'several times per year ,for several years'........
Even IF the land is flat-ish. Being CRP ,I assume it'll be a bumpy ride ,hour after hour after hour after.....
Does CRP ( or whomever ) PAY you to maintain the land ? If so compare 5 years income vs cost of 6' mower + fuel( $$$ ) AND your TIME. I don't know how long it takes to mow an acre of 'CRP' but I 'converted' an acre of real nice lawn into a veggie patch after cutting it 3 times with a 48" rider.

Given 'options', I'd plant buckweat and make the bees very,very happy. BW reseeds itself really,really well so plant ONCE....then sit back and enjoy. If there's a local bee keeper, let him use your land and you'll have free honey for the rest of your life.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
I am being paid to put it in.

I have no choice on the seeding as it's carefully dictated to benefit pollinators. My mowing is to control the weeds while the desired plantings have a chance to take hold. Once established, I'll only need to mow it occasionally.

Another twist is that I need to mow it at 10-12" of height to allow the base to build.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a L3130 ( 31 HP ). I also have a 5' Land Pride Rotary Mower currently on the rear.

I'm seeding 18 acres of CSP Wildlife habitat which will require mowing several times per year the first few years and the occasionally there after. I will also have to regularly mow some field edges, water ways, etc.

I'm kicking around a larger mower to help with mowing time but I believe I can only go with a 6' rotary on my little Kubota. Any suggestions? I've been looking at some old sickle bar mower but they seem to be antiques requiring a ton of maintenance.

I don't have rear hydraulics which eliminates some of the larger tow style rotaries. Ideas?
Agreed that you must mow at least once per year to prevent trees from taking over preventing future mowing.

A 6' rough cut rotaty mower is too much for a tractor with 31 engine HP except in ideal conditions. Even then, it may well be too heavy. Note: I did not say that it cannot be or has never been done.

Mowing 10"-12" greatly reduces required HP, but such will increase over time as the cover thickens. Keeping the blades sharp will help.

Yes, a sickle bar mower mower will require much less HP at the expense of increased maintenance and a significant learning curve. Unlike rotary cutters, such mowers are not user friendly.

I would use your 5' cutter the first year or so to see how things go before considering other options.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Better make certain if you are planting it for a Wildlife habitat through the CSP program that you are allowed to mow it more than 1 time a year. Many of the Wildlife Habitat programs are setup for no to very limited crop removal to provide cover for birds and other smaller animals. It’s not designed for making a field into a lawn. They actually prefer that weeds grow because what we call weeds are actually a food source for certain wildlife.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Better make certain if you are planting it for a Wildlife habitat through the CSP program that you are allowed to mow it more than 1 time a year. Many of the Wildlife Habitat programs are setup for no to very limited crop removal to provide cover for birds and other smaller animals. It’s not designed for making a field into a lawn. They actually prefer that weeds grow because what we call weeds are actually a food source for certain wildlife.
That a good point. I put 9 acres in last year and will put another 9 in this year. The mowing chores are in years 1-3 to beat back the weeds. After the desired base is established, it will be left alone or occasionally mowed to the plan.