Mowing Grass - Help With My Next Mower, Please

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll start off by saying I hope my wife doesn't read this forum... :oops::LOL:

I'm spoiled by having multiple B-series tractors, two of which are equipped with the hardware necessary to mount a mid-mount-mower (MMM) under them. One of them, the B2410, has been used extensively for grass cutting in the summer. It is based at the airport where I maintain the grass runway with it. The combination of the B2410 and 54" MMM is an excellent compromise between getting the job done well and not having to slow down too much if the grass is a bit heavy.

On the home front I have a 1994 Cub Cadet riding tractor with a 38" twin blade deck. I just put my first repair on that machine a few months ago - the key switch became intermittent. It has been an exemplary piece of equipment however it is loud and slow and has more than its fair share of vibration.

I'm looking into upgrading the "home" lawn mowing equipment. I truly believe the combination of Kubota diesel power, hydrostatic transmission and power steering are magic ingredients when it comes to getting the grass cut - that certainly is the feeling I'm left with every time I step down from the B2410 at the airport after a long mowing session.

With that having been said, I'm mentally 'stuck'. Part of me really doesn't want to compromise in going with a gas powered mower again - I seem to really want that diesel power. The years and hours on my body are starting to add up, so finding a machine that is both fast and comfortable is important. Our hard has some steep slopes and lots of trees and other things around which mowing must be accomplished. The B-series tractors are wholly unsuited for cutting the yard at home - they can do the big open patches but none of the detail cutting around trees etc.

My little pea brain is stuck somewhere between a Kubota ZD and an F-series. Both are far too much money to buy new so I would be buying used. My B2410 has about 2600 hours on it so I'm not afraid of a machine with hours on it if it has been well maintained. The ability for the machine to act as a backup to any of my three B-series tractors as a pinch-hitter in the winter snow blowing season is also attractive.

For those who have had Zero Turn and F-series mowers, I would really like to learn the pro's and con's of each of these styles. Speed, ease of use, ease of maintenance, durability, adaptability, availability of other attachments are all of interest to me.

Thank you for taking the time to share the knowledge gleaned from experience.

check 6

Equipment
BX 2680 FEL and pallet forks aerator ZD1211, RTV500
Apr 8, 2019
Seguin, Texas
I had a kubota ZD1800 with a 54”deck for thirteen years and two years ago traded for a ZD1211 with a 60” deck love the power of the diesel and the quality of Kubota. By the way they gave me the full price I had paid for my ZD1800 when I traded it and it immediately sold it for 700 more, Kubota diesels keep their value.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I use a Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 w/ steering wheel for my property with steep hills and hillsides. This ZT is built like a tank and does an amazing job on my property. Compared to my B2601, the Pro Z 560 saved me 1 full hour of mowing time (2 1/2 vs. 1 1/2 hours).

Yes, gasoline sucks but, I couldn’t be happier with the performance of this mower.

89D4011D-A76B-4EF6-A0C9-120E28CE4BFA.jpeg

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You have two tractors. How about buying a wide finish mower or flail mower to pull behind one of them. Use your Cub Cadet for the edges.

However, you have really described where the equipment is currently located, or how flat and how much property you have, so what I’m saying might be completely off. ;)

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. A Z4xx series would do what you want just fine. If you absolutely need diesel buy a ZD.

I almost bought the ZD but even with the big red fuel tank in my barn it didn't make sense for me. You need to decide if it makes sense for you.

I'm only finish mowing an acre, so carrying in gas is fine. I need it for the saws, string trimmer, pruner anyway. If I was cutting enough to need to refuel every time it would have been a different answer.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You need an F. You know you do. They're better in every possible way. Except price. :)

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I love my Ferris ZT😀. Great suspension and seat. I don’t think anyone can beat their suspension. And a Diesel engine is available.

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Ferris ZT is awesome! If I didn’t have steep hills, I’d have purchased a Ferris... and quite possibly, with diesel.

Mike

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'll start off by saying I hope my wife doesn't read this forum... :oops::LOL:

I'm spoiled by having multiple B-series tractors, two of which are equipped with the hardware necessary to mount a mid-mount-mower (MMM) under them. One of them, the B2410, has been used extensively for grass cutting in the summer. It is based at the airport where I maintain the grass runway with it. The combination of the B2410 and 54" MMM is an excellent compromise between getting the job done well and not having to slow down too much if the grass is a bit heavy.

On the home front I have a 1994 Cub Cadet riding tractor with a 38" twin blade deck. I just put my first repair on that machine a few months ago - the key switch became intermittent. It has been an exemplary piece of equipment however it is loud and slow and has more than its fair share of vibration.

I'm looking into upgrading the "home" lawn mowing equipment. I truly believe the combination of Kubota diesel power, hydrostatic transmission and power steering are magic ingredients when it comes to getting the grass cut - that certainly is the feeling I'm left with every time I step down from the B2410 at the airport after a long mowing session.

With that having been said, I'm mentally 'stuck'. Part of me really doesn't want to compromise in going with a gas powered mower again - I seem to really want that diesel power. The years and hours on my body are starting to add up, so finding a machine that is both fast and comfortable is important. Our hard has some steep slopes and lots of trees and other things around which mowing must be accomplished. The B-series tractors are wholly unsuited for cutting the yard at home - they can do the big open patches but none of the detail cutting around trees etc.

My little pea brain is stuck somewhere between a Kubota ZD and an F-series. Both are far too much money to buy new so I would be buying used. My B2410 has about 2600 hours on it so I'm not afraid of a machine with hours on it if it has been well maintained. The ability for the machine to act as a backup to any of my three B-series tractors as a pinch-hitter in the winter snow blowing season is also attractive.

For those who have had Zero Turn and F-series mowers, I would really like to learn the pro's and con's of each of these styles. Speed, ease of use, ease of maintenance, durability, adaptability, availability of other attachments are all of interest to me.

Thank you for taking the time to share the knowledge gleaned from experience.
A B series tractor with MMM will mow steep areas that a ZTR cannot so don't limit your options.

Yes, an F series mower is the cat's meow for steep areas but most such used units have been used commercially, abused, and traded in for good reason.

Of course, ZTRs are ideal for mowing (only) in areas that are not overly steep, and will mow such areas more quickly than other options. Do not plan to plow snow, grade crushed rock, use FEL, etc., with a ZTR. You can, of course do such tasks with a CUT or SCUT with MMM while also mowing steep areas where a ZTR is not suitable.

SDT

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
F series can take a snowblower. Again, there's money involved, but with a cab it looks like a pretty sweet setup.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks for the helpful comments, folks.

Coming back to my original post, the use of any of my B-series tractors to mow is simply not practical. With all the tree branches etc the B series with a MMM would only mow the big open areas, leaving probably a full third of the lawn for me to have to cut with... something else. My goal is to cut out the middle machine and have the 'something else' that will do ALL the cutting, hopefully faster than my current machine.

@Rdrcr what, in your opinion are the strengths and weaknesses of the steering wheel versus lap bars?

Some folks have told me to stay away from ZT machines which don't use a separate hydro drive for each wheel. I'm having challenges with the Cub Cadet line in figuring out exactly what each model uses as its drive line.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
what, in your opinion are the strengths and weaknesses of the steering wheel versus lap bars?
I'll butt in here. I chose plan C, a joystick. Country Clipper makes zeros that have a joystick which I find much easier that a pair of bars, a small motion in any direction steers it. Couple that with a pivoting front axle and a stand up deck sold me.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll butt in here. I chose plan C, a joystick. Country Clipper makes zeros that have a joystick which I find much easier that a pair of bars, a small motion in any direction steers it. Couple that with a pivoting front axle and a stand up deck sold me.
Thanks for "butting in" - it's not butting in at all if one helps by providing useful information!

We're in a bit of a pinch with respect to Country Clipper dealers - I drive past one Kubota and two Cub Cadet dealers before I get to the ONLY Country Clipper dealer within 150 miles. I really like the joystick steering (what can I say, once a pilot, always a pilot!!) and the tilting deck.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Here is another option for you that is not orange. Take a look at the Deere x739. 60 inch deck, all wheel steer to go around things almost as well as a zero turn and all wheel drive that handles hills like a mountain goat. Mows very well at high speeds. If you go wilh a front runner make sure it is all wheel drive to handle the hills. Forget the zero turn on hills until the large ones. Bigger and heavier is your friend on hills with zero turn and independent stick control is a must. I own an Exmark zero turn and 2 Bx's and traded a Deere F725 on the X739 with an X590 Deere in the mix also. Unfortunately Kubota does not offer all wheel steer.

Reactions: 1 user

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Mowing team I'm still using my old Cub Cadet where needed under low trees, banks , close quarters etc.

B I figure uses 1/2 the fuel and cuts like an animal.
Picture is old I have since added Artillian Canopy and ROPS lights.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I know you did not ask how to speed up the mowing at the airport but I wanted to show you this idea. 54 inches for a runway must take a good chunk of time.

Willbeone

Equipment
L3560HSTC LE, LA555 loader, Scraper/grader, Woodchipper, Backhoe.
May 19, 2021
Oklahoma
My two cents... I used to mow just over 5 acres with my L2800 with a Woods 72" finishing mower and my wife would mow around the house, fence line and cedars on 48" Scag, which took us 3.5 hours to complete. Upgraded the Scag 48" to a 65" Scag Cheetah. I mow the entire property with just the Scag in right at 2.5 hours weekly. Less time, less equipment, less manpower and about 4.5 gallons of fuel. Not to mention the wife gets more time to do what she wants to do.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I bought a used Hustler super mini Z with 800 hours for 1K a few years ago. I think it is a 2003 or 2004 model. It had 800 hours on it and now the hour gauge is broken.

I'm not sure how fast it's supposed to go. Fast enough to throw me out of the seat. It has a 44" deck which is plenty for me.

My main recommendation is to not get a monster 72 or 84 inch deck. I see this alot in the more expensive residential models and new mower owners. Then they don't have any way to haul it behind the wifes CRV. If I were to buy brand new I would get 52-60.

I don't think you need diesel. I think you should focus on commercial components. Commercial spindles, hydraulic motors, separate hydraulic cooler. My 25HP Kawasaki runs fine and takes the abuse. There are a ton of mowers out there amd opinions on all of them.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Well, I was sort of in your predicament last year. My old Husqvarna mower was about 15 years old and has been pretty good, but it seemed like last year, a small part would break every time I got on it and I would be dead in the water until I fixed it. Sooo, I started looking at new mowers, particularly zero turn mowers.

I was really focused on Ferris mowers due to the suspension system. I was not intending on a Kubota, but stopped at the Kubota dealer and started talking to the salesman. Long story short, I ended up buying a ZD1011.

I have enjoyed it. The biggest negative is it is heavy and if you do not have well-drained soil, it will rut up the yard.

In retrospect, I wished I had been more patient. I was looking for used Kubotas, but couldn't find any. It would figure, just as soon as I bought my mower, I saw 2 or 3 ZD1211s for sale near me in immaculate condition. They were slightly less than what I paid new for mine. But, I don't regret buying my mower. I actually think a ZD1211 for me would have been too big around parts of my yard. The ZD1011 isn't a small mower anyway. I do love the speed at which I can cut now.

Keep your eyes peeled for used ones and you can probably find a good deal.
20200727_193827.jpg

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
My two cents... I used to mow just over 5 acres with my L2800 with a Woods 72" finishing mower and my wife would mow around the house, fence line and cedars on 48" Scag, which took us 3.5 hours to complete. Upgraded the Scag 48" to a 65" Scag Cheetah. I mow the entire property with just the Scag in right at 2.5 hours weekly. Less time, less equipment, less manpower and about 4.5 gallons of fuel. Not to mention the wife gets more time to do what she wants to do.
Could use some input. I'm mowing about 4 to 5 acres weekly with my B2601 and 60" finish mower and I've got to make a change. Takes a long time, B2601 is too light, not enough power going up slopes and the seat......well I think the seat issue is well documented. I am considering a larger heavier tractor that can pull a 72" finish mower with more power for the slopes, safer on the slopes and hopefully a better ride due to increased weight or option B is a 72" diesel Kubota finish mower but had a few questions / concerns.

-How does the zero turn handle pasture and what's the comfort level of the ride. My pasture / yard is pretty smooth but its still bumpy in a places. GOT TO FIGURE OUT SOMETHING LESS PAINFUL than the B2601 seat. I've read the zero turn seats are much more comfortable. The zero turn I'm looking at is the Kubota 72" ZD211L and am assuming the ride would be similar to other larger zero turns from other companies higher end zero turns.

-I've read that people lean towards tractors on slopes but this seems odd to me as a big 72" zero turn has most of its weight closer to ground zero. Seems like the low center of gravity on a large zero turn would add to stability. The B2601, with the loader off is light and my pucker factor is quite elevated on slopes not to mention I have to be EXTREMELY careful if I lift my 60" finish mower on the B2601. Front end WILL come off the ground on even a moderate slope. How's the pucker factor with the zero turn on slopes?

-Not that its that big of an issue but would I see substantially less fuel consumption with a Kubota 72" diesel zero turn compared to a tractor capable of pulling a 72" zero turn which would be something along the lines of a L3301 or L3901?

Probably going to make a change in the next year to either a mid to high 30hp tractor than can pull and safely lift a 72" finish mower or get a 72" diesel zero turn. Waffling back and forth. Thanks for any input.