Mowing Grass - Help With My Next Mower, Please

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You could pull an offset pull behind mower like a Swisher beside your tractor to widen the path. They have their own engine and would be easy to disconnect/connect.

Zero turns are definitely not for hills since the front wheels swivel, right? I’m not saying you can’t, but I’ve read a few tales that makes it sound like it isn’t fun. ;)

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I wanted the diesel also but couldn't justify the cost - ended up with the Z231KH-48. Wife never mowed with our Deere ZT, she absolutely loves the new one and I haven't been on it yet. We're only mowing a little over an acre.

IMG_1245 2.jpg

Lakebuster

Equipment
GrandL5040, RTV1100, ZTR331, B2601
Jul 1, 2021
SW Louisiana
Well it keeps saying my file is too large to attach photo. For 11 acres of yard I use a ZD311 with a 72" cut and the wife uses the B2601 with 60" mmm. With both machines going it is a 3 hour job. We also have a 5 acre horse pasture, if I do not have time to run the harrow around perimeter to knock manure down, I will sometimes set my deck at 3.5" and run around in circles using the ZTR. It is faster doing this than removing bionic blade from the L4740 and connecting the Woods 84" finish mower.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
An F would be much faster, and since you're not sitting right on top of the main wheels, I believe they ride nicer. Also much better on hills than a zero turn. So if you're going all in on a mowing weapon, that's the place to go.

On the B2601, have you tried front suitcase weights to keep the front down? Perhaps spacers for the stability and/or weighted tires (personally I don't like weighted tires). I find on my B2601 that whilst I often feel uncomfortable, the tractor is actually way more stable than I give it credit - if I stop, get off, and rock it, it still has a lot of weight on the uphill wheel - it's nowhere near tipping.

Are you using a rear finish mower already (rather than a mid mount)? It sounds like it. If you aren't using the mid mount anyway, then it would totally make sense to move up to an L sized machine - L3901 perhaps.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks folks for your helpful replies.

With respect to diesel vs gas, well, that's a choice rather than a need. With four diesel tractors already in the fleet I'd like to reduce my jerry can fleet! (Yes, four diesels... one of which is not a Kubota so it doesn't get mentioned much here.)

From experience I know that 60" is as wide as I want to go. I have both a 60" and a 54" deck for the B-series tractors so I have an idea of how well they cut, and, importantly, how much power it takes to drive them effectively. Even at that I don't run the 60" on the tractor at the airport because, well, because I can't go as tight to airplanes with it and because I can't go as fast with it as with the 54". I've tried them both and was certain the 60" deck would be faster. Nope, my intuition was wrong... again! :cool:

I'm liking the idea of the Country Clipper joystick... that gets me back into a gas mower again, but an XLT with the 26hp Kohler and a 52" or 60" deck would seem a decent compromise.

The one thing I have to say about the MMM's for the Kubota B-series tractors is they are built like absolute tanks. I suspect I will be disappointed with anything less than that level of robustness.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The one thing I have to say about the MMM's for the Kubota B-series tractors is they are built like absolute tanks. I suspect I will be disappointed with anything less than that level of robustness.
Yup, mowing gorse, blackberry, broom and other assorted shrubbery today with mine. I only do it occasionally and I don't have a rotary cutter. Once that area is under control it'll just be grass. It seems remarkably tolerant of eating anything up to a an inch or so. Goes blunt quickly, but otherwise I haven't broken anything yet (fingers crossed and all that).

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
I have had great success with my RCR1860. Yes it is a rotary cutter but my pasture looks great after a cut.
4C682994-EDEC-479E-8359-24A356D343A3.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
A B series tractor with MMM will mow steep areas that a ZTR cannot so don't limit your options.

Yes, an F series mower is the cat's meow for steep areas but most such used units have been used commercially, abused, and traded in for good reason.

Of course, ZTRs are ideal for mowing (only) in areas that are not overly steep, and will mow such areas more quickly than other options. Do not plan to plow snow, grade crushed rock, use FEL, etc., with a ZTR. You can, of course do such tasks with a CUT or SCUT with MMM while also mowing steep areas where a ZTR is not suitable.

SDT
This isn’t entirely true. There are ZTR exceptions that can handle steep hills and hillsides with ease.
The Cub Cadet Pro Z (with steering wheel) are designed specifically for mowing hillsides and the interesting Altoz “tracked” ZTR can handle much of the same.

I have successfully mowed my steep hillsides with my Pro Z 560 S and saved an hour of mowing time compared to my B2601 w/ 60” MMM.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
@Rdrcr what, in your opinion are the strengths and weaknesses of the steering wheel versus lap bars?

Some folks have told me to stay away from ZT machines which don't use a separate hydro drive for each wheel. I'm having challenges with the Cub Cadet line in figuring out exactly what each model uses as its drive line.
Ive operated both lap bar and now my steering wheel equipped ZTR on my property.
I definitely prefer the steering wheel in my situation. The lap bar and front caster combination just can’t deliver comparable traction and safety when compared to my steering wheel and 4-wheel steering.

PROS:
Familiarity
Traction
Control
Maneuverability
Fun

CONS:
Cost
Complexity

The Cub Cadet Pro Z lineup uses separate Hydro’s per wheel and use some of the best components in the industry. However, you do pay for them.

Mike

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
This isn’t entirely true. There are ZTR exceptions that can handle steep hills and hillsides with ease.
The Cub Cadet Pro Z (with steering wheel) are designed specifically for mowing hillsides and the interesting Altoz “tracked” ZTR can handle much of the same.

I have successfully mowed my steep hillsides with my Pro Z 560 S and saved an hour of mowing time compared to my B2601 w/ 60” MMM.

Mike
11K and up for one that can do it. I don’t think that’s what most people are thinking when they are talking about Zero Turns to just mow. Maybe it’s just me.

Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
11K and up for one that can do it. I don’t think that’s what most people are thinking when they are talking about Zero Turns to just mow. Maybe it’s just me.
Perhaps. But, those $11K + options do exist for folks looking for specific solutions, exceptional performance and extreme quality and durability.
Heck, you can spend $30K + for a Kubota F series mower…there are options galore!

Mike

3rdgrey

Equipment
Bush hog pto; cabin enclosure; front loader w/ bucket; lx2610 model
Oct 17, 2020
Florida
Hi. Just had my z412kw-48 delievered yesterday. Used it today. First time i ever used a zero turn. It was like riding a gocart while mowing the grass! I dont like using my lx2610 around the house because the bush hog leaves ruts and the wheel can dig when i turn. Not to mention the back and forth around trees, etc. Ill save the tractor for out back and inhospitable conditions. Anyway, the zero turn seems to be awesome. Good financing too. NOTE: I do use the tractor to mow around the pond edges. Kind of step angle. Just go in low gear and slow. Other steep inclines like canal banks, i back to the edge and lower the mower. A little time consuming but effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user