Mowing at less than pto speed

Wolfbay farm

Equipment
M105
Sep 15, 2020
Chipley Florida
When mowing grass with my brown attachment it’s in third gear low range at 1800 rpms and its a comfortable speed and mows fine. Can it cause any potential problems not running the pto to the full 540 rpms. It’s basically flat ground.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It likely depends on whether the tractor has a DPF. According to what I've read here and other places, a tractor with a DPF needs to be run at higher PM's.

My tractor is pre-DPF and I vary the engine/PTO speed to suit conditions. My rear discharge RFM handles clippings better at different RPM's at different times. Amount of "juiceiness", height of the grass, presence of dew, etc all come into play. Yesterday I ran the PTO around 470 RPM's.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This is an age old discussion ...... and even an argument.

So - lets start at the beginning -

Why does EACH tractor manufacture have a engine rpm to match an implement rpm?

Each implement makes their device operate efficiently at 540 rpms (forget all the other rpms for a second)
That decision is based on bearing, blades, tines, or whatever is being dragged or spun.

In a cutter - either horz or vert, a blade will spin with a certain rate, not RPM - rather feet per second at the tip. So a blade that is 24" in diameter has a spin that makes it cut well - so the gearing of that blade is matched to the 540 RPM.

This is a lot of science and calculation being used to determine blade spin - a rotary cutter of 60" Diameter may have 2 blades with the same FPM as a cutter with 24" Diameter - but if you look at how fast they spin, it will be completely different, even though the FPM is the same.

Now to answer your question.

It does NOT help the tractor to cut at a lower rpm than designed. A diesel is a torque machine - designed to run a "X" rpm to make everything work as it should - running an engine at a lower RPM to "think you are saving" the engine is bad choice. I will say, sometimes when using say the backhoe - it might be fine to run the rpms down a bit if you need MUCH more careful control in a very tight space between two item that you do not want to damage.

Getting back to the physics of cutting grass - sharp blades and correct rpms will do two things to always help - it will cut the grass better - Newton's second law, F=MA . Also - the clippings will be thrown out further, thus placing lest strain on everything under the cutter.

Ok -3th thing - the engine will be happier and MAYBE burn less fuel at the rate of cutting at the higher RPM - while this though may be counterintuitive, some engines will burn less fuel at 2800 rpm's than at 1800 rpms depending on the engines torque curve.

The real bottom line - are you going to "hurt" anything? Probably not, you are in full control of what occurs with your machine. In my opinion, is it speed of moving you want to achieve? In other words - I want to hurry up to cut the grass, or is it I don't want to run the engine at a high rpm for noise or stress?

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
When mowing grass with my brown attachment it’s in third gear low range at 1800 rpms and its a comfortable speed and mows fine. Can it cause any potential problems not running the pto to the full 540 rpms. It’s basically flat ground.
I operate all of my mowers below rated PTO speed nearly all of the time and have done so for decades.

Absent extreme circumstances (abuse) doing so will damage neither tractor nor mower.

SDT

Reactions: 1 users

Treckerzeug

Equipment
Carraro tgf 7800 taijfun 4,5 t winch, trailer with crane, double bl saw
Apr 17, 2015
Bavaria South Germany
No worries, if it mows fine everything is fine,
A "torque" engines loves to work at low revs,
Max torque on a modern engine is available at a wide range of engine speed.
Most larger tractors today are designed to reach their top road speed at reduced engine speed, e.g. 40 kph at 1300 rpm

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I operate all of my mowers below rated PTO speed nearly all of the time and have done so for decades.

Absent extreme circumstances (abuse) doing so will damage neither tractor nor mower.

SDT
............What he said or whatever blows your dress up..... (y) (y)

With a 105, you have plenty of oomph to run at whatever pto speed you want to with just about any cutter/chopper.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
This is a lot of science and calculation being used to determine blade spin...........................................
No doubt about that. There must be a criteria for the design of a mower that fits an average usage. BUT, we don't mow astroturf that is manufactured to a certain specification. We mow live plants. All the grass I've cut has varied in moisture content (what I call "juiciness") through the season. It changes significantly between the first and last mowings of the season. The amount of grass that's cut off isn't always the same. Sometimes there's still some dew left when I start, and sometimes when I mow in the evenings dew starts forming before I'm done.

Cutting at rated PTO speed is no problem. Distribution of the clippings is. Varying the speed allows the mower to be tuned in to the current conditions. To suggest that the mower must only be run at it's spec sheet RPM because some engineer said so is like telling a welder he can't tweak the amps to suit the task.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
You could be putting more torque through your mower than it was designed for.