Mower suggestions for first timer

Carnut68

Apr 30, 2012
Southbury, CT
Greetings all,

First post here. Looking forward to learning alot on this forum as I recently bought my first ever tractor, a used BX24. I have already used it to spread a ton of topsoil and mulch and move firewood at my primary home but the main reason I bought it was to mow several acres of field up at another property we have about three hours away. I need to make a purchase soon but have been debating mower types and need suggestions from those who have BTDT.

The terrain is pretty much open field/pasture, ranging from flat to sloped in some areas but not what would call steep. No brush, stumps or rocks. It can be a little damp in certain spots. I was paying to have it brush hogged a couple times a year but it still looked like crap and I figure I might as well start cutting it myself, save money and hopefully improve the property. It will get cut every 3-5 weeks depending on how often I can get up there. At least once a month on average. This is in VT just to give you an idea of the growing season which I guess would not be as long as some areas of the country.

I was going to get a rear finish mower - 5-6ft with a rear discharge. I was considering a new King Cutter from Tractor Supply ($1600 which is about the max I was hoping to spend) or was looking at used mowers in driving distance of me. I see a number of decent condition 48" Landspride mowers near me for under a grand but intially I thought that was too small. Then again, I am not sure what my BX24 can handle, especially given I have some hills and won't be cutting frequently. In addition to the size question, I have also seen some nice used decks that happen to be side discharge. I figured I would go for rear discharge as that would spread the clippings more frequently. Am I right in sticking with that? Finally, am I even right in sticking with a finsh mower versus a rotary cutter (brush hog, bush hog, whatever)? I am not sure my property at this house will ever quite look like a "finished lawn" but like since I am really only mowing grass (and weeds) I thought the bush hog was unnecessary, even though it is cheaper. But I could be cutting grass 8-10 inches high sometimes so maybe that is too much for a finish mower.

Sorry for the long post but I figured I would lay out all the facts to get some good advice.

Thanks,

Jay

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
So far it sounds to me like a bush hog would be your better option to go since the grass will not be mowed as frequently and it will be rather tall and thick. Here lately on another post it sounds like a flail mower is the way to go for both rough cutting and fine finish mowing as well. I know a bush hog can be fairly inexpensive but I have no clue as to what a flail mower might cost.

Hope this helps...

Brick

Equipment
B7100DT, rotary mower, box scraper, rototiller
Apr 21, 2012
California
I have been wrestling with the same issue; rotary mower, flail mower or finish mower. My property is somewhat similar to what you have described. There is a company in Oregon that sells all kinds of tractor attachments for the smaller tractors called Value Leader. You might check out their web site to get an idea about prices. (West Coast.)

http://www.value-leader.com/

I assume you have already checked out the web sites of the common implement makers like Bush Hog, Gearmore and Woods. Smaller producers I found were BEFCO and Liberty Ranch.

I don't know if it is considered "bad form" to refer to another tractor forum but tractorbynet has a thread about "using a bx as a mower/tractor", you may want to check it out.

I don't have enough experience to give you advice on what would be best for you. For my situation, I found a used 4' Gearmore Rotary Mower on Craigslist not far from my house for less than $400. I figure I'll give the rotary mower a try and see how it works out.

IMG_1676.jpg

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well Brick it sounds like you found yourself a goldmine on that one. I say give the 4 foot hog a shot and see how well it works out and if it will suit your needs over the next several mowings. If nothing else you can always sell the bush hog for 400 bucks and get your money back.

Carnut68

Apr 30, 2012
Southbury, CT
Well, I have done some more research and settled on going the flail mower route. There is a good condition used one (6' Ford) near me available for what seems to be reasonable money ($900). My only concern is whether my BX24 can handle it. Seller says he had a 18hp Ford that ran it no problem. Anyone running a flail on a BX?

damnnissans

Equipment
B6100DT, Ford 4500 TLB, Too Many Gravely WBHs
Dec 17, 2011
New Windsor, Md
I run an older 5' Mott flail on my b6100. Only complaint that I have is the amount of weigh I needed on the front of the tractor to be comfortable on the hills I have (probably steeper than yours.)

I can back over a 6' tall brushy bush, drop the mower, and shred it almost completely. It nicely mows 12" tall thick grass but does leave the clippings long.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Hah! I like your tie down system there Brick though I have my doubts about it's integrity :)

BX24 is rated at 18 PTO HP. Whether he gave you PTO or Drawbar or Engine HP your tractor should be able to swing it if his could. If it starts to bog just slow up a bit.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
You might want to check out the 60" King Kutter flex hitch mower. The additional links let it contour for a decent cut job from a rotary cutter. I picked up a 72" for my Grand L last year and have been very happy with it.

Capnbeak

Equipment
L3750DT
Nov 28, 2011
Bedford, Texas, USA
If you decide to go with a shredder take a look at the Howse line-various sizes. I have a 72inch with a 100hp gearbox that has worked well for 10 years. Use it on my L3750. American company and not the expense of the Bushog line.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I have a bx2230 and tow a 5ft finish mower raised hiigh and move very fast. If i let the grass get very high, the right blade has a tendency to wrap the long grass around the spendle, by high, I mean above 10 inches. It came with a 12 hp and I installed an 18 hp left over from another mower.