Moving gravel - should I get a bolt on cutting edge first?

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I have a BX80 series and did not get the bolt on cutting edge. I'll soon be fixing some drainage problems in my yard and this will include moving gravel.
Should I get a bolt on cutting edge prior to moving gravel to protect the stock cutting edge on my FEL?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I personally wouldn't worry about it. As long as the gravel is loose and from a pile. If you're going to be scraping up a hard packed area, then it depends on how much you'll be doing.

Sent from a field

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
You can definitely cut an edge and dig better with something like a Piranha tooth bar. As for moving gravel, depending on how much and how far, I would think a rock rake, land plane or box blade would work nicely moving some gravel to alter the ground below, than push the gravel back in place

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas
My goodness we worry too much sometimes. I have two buckets on very old Ford tractors, one over 35 years old and the second one over 40 years old. They have been used weekly over the years to move soil, gravel and sand and besides having surface rust and needing paint have no appreciable wear to the cutting edges. They are rinsed out on a regular basis and stored inside with no soil left on their surfaces.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Ok. It will be from a loose pile to dump into location. So it sounds like I should be fine.
Yeah, definitely a silly concern but, after hesitating to ask I figured it'd be better to ask the knowledgeable people here rather than damage a fairly expensive investment. No matter how minimal the damage, if possible, I'd rather not.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Not a silly concern. The cutting edge on my B2920 is half worn out from 4-1/2 years use.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I can't even dig in the ground around here without a Piranha tooth bar. We have some hard rocky ground. That's why I got a backhoe!

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Not a silly concern. The cutting edge on my B2920 is half worn out from 4-1/2 years use.
Fair enough. Valid concern but I'm probably over thinking it. I don't do much digging with my FEL and my ground is mostly pretty soft clay with a lot of rocks. But I definitely will get a new cutting edge eventually. I just wasn't sure if I would do the damage by digging into a pile of loose gravel.
I can't even dig in the ground around here without a Piranha tooth bar. We have some hard rocky ground. That's why I got a backhoe!
I've considered the Piranha tooth bar as well. May get that in the future but I'll likely mostly dig with my backhoe.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Co-worker ground off a cutting edge clearing snow. Bucket down,only cutting edge touching and front wheels in air. Doesent take long. Seemed intentional. Almost to the point where i was asked why the wheels were always on the ground when i plowed snow.go figure.

That being said, it will move a lot of material before cutting edge needs replacing.

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
Have had mine a little over 2 years, moving dirt, gravel, back dragging, etc. The edge is worn pretty good, should have gone with bolt on cutting egde. Got to be careful when hitting my FEL edge with my hand/leg, etc, some sharp areas on bucket from all the abuse.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
My bucket has been abused for 7 years now. Digging in iron ore a lot. One hole I dug was 30 feet by 100 feet by 6 foot deep. My bucket edge is just fine. I do want a piranha bar, but only to help digging, not to protect the edge of the bucket.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
It depends a lot on where you are located and your soil types on how fast they wear. I don't think that the cutting edges are made of much more than mild steel. I doubt that they are an abrasive resistant steel.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
My bucket has been abused for 7 years now. Digging in iron ore a lot. One hole I dug was 30 feet by 100 feet by 6 foot deep. My bucket edge is just fine. I do want a piranha bar, but only to help digging, not to protect the edge of the bucket.
Show us the pics... otherwise we call BS on it...lol