Mounting a trailer hitch ball on the rear of a BX23S

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I had a local shop build a slip on ball that slides over the drawbar with a pin to attach it.
When I get mulch on my trailer 6x12 I hook up with my BX1860 and go around the yard with it instead of my truck or moving the mulch twice. It’s pretty cool. I had one made for my B2920 at our cabin but i don’t use it much there since I don’t always have the trailer. Im not home otherwise id send a pic. If I find one I’ll send it to you. It really works well for me. When I’m done I just pull the pin and put the ball and bracket on the shelf.
Thanks for the picture! Always nice to see what people have actually done.

My tractor doesn't have a drawbar. It's a BX23S, with a backhoe. But there is a bracket with a hole in it ... I'm hoping the hole is sized so I can use it to mount a trailer hitch ball, which is the question that started this thread. A lot of people suggested getting a 3PH receiver, but if I can permanently mount the hitch ball then I wouldn't have to take the extra time to set up the 3PH. Given that I have to remove the backhoe, eliminating that extra step would be nice. I'm not going to be towing very often ... just when I want to move my chipper around, at least at this point. I could see having a small garden trailer.

Last edited:

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I want to be able to tow my wood chipper and a small trailer around with my BX23S, with the backhoe removed. There's already a plate on the back, and I think there's centered hole in it. I've seen this plate referred to as a "ball plate", which makes it sound like it's designed to have a hitch ball put in it.

Is that, in fact, what it's for? If so, what's the disadvantages of using it versus getting an aftermarket receiver? If not, what's the hole for?
Since the tongue weight in this is low enough to move by hand I recommend getting the BXPANDED quick change for your backhoe bucket and the receiver mount. I have one and tow a utility trailer full of firewood with no issues. No need to remove the backhoe, super easy and quick to change over and I think would fit the need well.
https://www.bxpanded.com/BX-quick-connect, https://www.bxpanded.com/BX-bh-hitch

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I want to be able to tow my wood chipper and a small trailer around with my BX23S, with the backhoe removed. There's already a plate on the back, and I think there's centered hole in it. I've seen this plate referred to as a "ball plate", which makes it sound like it's designed to have a hitch ball put in it.

Is that, in fact, what it's for? If so, what's the disadvantages of using it versus getting an aftermarket receiver? If not, what's the hole for?
I pull a DR Leaf Vac or a small trailer behind my BX2380, with no problems. The OEM plate will accept a standard hitch ball. My DR has a 1-7/8" hitch, like most small trailers, etc. use. Heavier stuff will use a 2" (or bigger) ball. For what you're towing just the ball will be all you'll need.

I recently installed a Heavy Hitch® adapter on the 2380, which uses a standard 2" receiver so that the size and height of the ball can be better tailored to what I'm pulling. It also moves the ball back about 6", which allows for a bit tighter turning.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I can turn my BX23S into a 'tow truck' in 45 seconds...
made a simple adapter,using 'stuff from the shop'. It attaches in the 'thumb' mounting using 1/2" water pipe parts..., 1/2" pipe arms rest on the bucket top ,angle iron cross member has hook on it. I run a chain around the dead rider,then onto the hook. raise the boom and haul away...
I'll post a picture later,too nice to be inside....I's not pretty, it's not expensive BUT dang nice when needed !

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I pull a DR Leaf Vac or a small trailer behind my BX2380, with no problems. The OEM plate will accept a standard hitch ball. My DR has a 1-7/8" hitch, like most small trailers, etc. use. Heavier stuff will use a 2" (or bigger) ball. For what you're towing just the ball will be all you'll need.

I recently installed a Heavy Hitch® adapter on the 2380, which uses a standard 2" receiver so that the size and height of the ball can be better tailored to what I'm pulling. It also moves the ball back about 6", which allows for a bit tighter turning.
I finally got to my tractor yesterday.... Wildfires have kept me away for a while.... The threaded rod on my 2" hitch ball doesn't fit in the hole in the stock plate. Lol. Not entirely surprised. The chipping season is winding down for me, so I'll have all winter to consider all of the suggestions people wrote about. Probably will buy a receiver adapter like you have, although I'm curious what @GreensvilleJay did with his backhoe thumb

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Here's some quik pics...
the top bar is really a 12" precut of 1/2" iron pipe, 5 washers each side, 1/2" elbows
bars are 31" +- of 1/2" pipe welded to flat plates, then bolted to a section of 2x6 angle iron that has slip hook welded to it
made it years ago to rescue a dead rider in the bush...spent all of 1/2 hour on it as daylight was fading fast.
yeah I know 'not pretty' BUT did the job and gets used way to often.
I can loosely chain it to bucket to keep from moving up...
Version 2.1 will have a 2" rcvr ,then use whatever sleeve the tow needs.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Here's some quik pics...
the top bar is really a 12" precut of 1/2" iron pipe, 5 washers each side, 1/2" elbows
bars are 31" +- of 1/2" pipe welded to flat plates, then bolted to a section of 2x6 angle iron that has slip hook welded to it
made it years ago to rescue a dead rider in the bush...spent all of 1/2 hour on it as daylight was fading fast.
yeah I know 'not pretty' BUT did the job and gets used way to often.
I can loosely chain it to bucket to keep from moving up...
Version 2.1 will have a 2" rcvr ,then use whatever sleeve the tow needs.
That definitely is an interesting contraption! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
It was faster to make than removing the backhoe and installing the 3PH kit, that's still in the box. Crazy thing is for months it collects dust then bamm..use it 3-4 times in one week

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
It was faster to make than removing the backhoe and installing the 3PH kit, that's still in the box. Crazy thing is for months it collects dust then bamm..use it 3-4 times in one week
Yeah I remember when I was looking for a 3PH kit you mentioned you had one sitting in a box ... but it wasn't going to work trying to buy it from you and have you ship it, so I bought one from Coleman.

Usage patterns, defined by inter-arrival times, are random, leading to spikes in demand and the formation of queues.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I finally got to my tractor yesterday.... Wildfires have kept me away for a while.... The threaded rod on my 2" hitch ball doesn't fit in the hole in the stock plate. Lol. Not entirely surprised. The chipping season is winding down for me, so I'll have all winter to consider all of the suggestions people wrote about. Probably will buy a receiver adapter like you have, although I'm curious what @GreensvilleJay did with his backhoe thumb
You can get a 1-7/8" ball with a 3/4" shaft. Not sure about a 2" ball since it's made for heavier duty than the smaller one.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
You crack me up. Thanks man. I think though the bloom is off the rose on this idea and I should just get a proper receiver plate. I need to think about the bxpanded backhoe mounted receiver. I have their quick attach system but I'm not thrilled about pulling things around with the backhoe ... it's unlikely that I would damage anything but just the thought of it makes me uneasy.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I recently pulled a 16ft tandem axle loaded with metal around my yard with the backhoe. I actually had the safety chains hooked to my dipper arm and there was no ball involved at all. Like everything unsafe, you can make it as safe as possible by being more cautious..

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I recently pulled a 16ft tandem axle loaded with metal around my yard with the backhoe. I actually had the safety chains hooked to my dipper arm and there was no ball involved at all. Like everything unsafe, you can make it as safe as possible by being more cautious..
If I was just going to tow around a yard I would be more positive on the BH approach. I want to have as small a package as I can get, so I can go anywhere the tractor can go. This is why I'd really like to mount the chipper on a carry all.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I like the look of the Ai2 receiver plate ... too bad they're out of stock. I like the large radiused cutouts for rear-tie-downs.

The redline one is also interesting

not interested in the bxexpanded quick detach receiver plate...I want to bolt the receiver down and be done with it

the tie-down holes on the heavy hitch look kind of small

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh, I need to start making them 'receiver hitches'..... any of them are over $100 USD. Just checked my cost, in Canucks for 2" rcvr x6" + plate steel, and $20 in materials ( qty of 10 pcs).......

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
yeesh, I need to start making them 'receiver hitches'..... any of them are over $100 USD. Just checked my cost, in Canucks for 2" rcvr x6" + plate steel, and $20 in materials ( qty of 10 pcs).......
If I had a welder and a drill press it would be a great project!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If I had a welder and a drill press it would be a great project!
Once you own or have access to a welding machine, plasma/oxyacetylene, drill press/mag drill, band saw, chop saw etc., you'll no longer spend money on any of these aftermarket tractor solutions. You can make anything you need for your tractor, truck, trailer, house etc., and often you can make it better than anything you can buy. Of course, you might have a bunch of new "friends" who need help fixing something but you'll learn to say no .... maybe.

I regularly look on Craigslist for material (particularly steel) and just this weekend found some steel frames with casters for $50 each!! I snagged the last two of five and will pick them up today. The frames are 54" x 44" and are made from 2"x1-1/2"x3/16" angle, 3" c-channel, 1/4" plate and come with five casters per frame. I'm not sure what I'll do with these frames yet, but the material alone is way more than $100. Heck, the casters alone are worth more than $100! This is a good find.

The point is, once you have the tools and ability to work with steel, you can do just about anything.

01212_e8GwjR3TDRbz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00I0I_dNNToPBcooKz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: 1 users