Motor,Transmission Oil, Front Axle Drain Plug Torques

Phil

Equipment
L3130
Oct 3, 2009
Sault Ste Marie Ontario Canada
The Owners and WSM Manuals for my Kubota L3130 have arrived.
I've looked through these manuals repeatedly , but I cannot find the torque specifications for the following ?
1) The Motor Oil Drain Plugs ?
2) The Transmission Drain Plugs ?
3) The Check, Fill and Drain plugs for the Front Axle Oil Case ?
4) The Clutch Housing Water Drain ?
Would anyone happen to have these torques specs. ?

Thanks … Great website.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
The Owners and WSM Manuals for my Kubota L3130 have arrived.
I've looked through these manuals repeatedly , but I cannot find the torque specifications for the following ?
1) The Motor Oil Drain Plugs ?
2) The Transmission Drain Plugs ?
3) The Check, Fill and Drain plugs for the Front Axle Oil Case ?
4) The Clutch Housing Water Drain ?
Would anyone happen to have these torques specs. ?

Thanks … Great website.
Hey Phil,
It sure is nice to see I'm not the only one that's obsessive about torquing everything :D

Help should be on the way soon. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Scott

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
If they aren't in the WSM, i'd just say "tight" and call it bad. Not saying it shouldn't be done, but I've never torqued wrenched any of the general maintenance plugs on any of my cars/trucks/tractors and I've never had one rattle loose...knock on wood.

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Joshua,

I always thought the rule was "tighten 'til it strips, THEN back off a quarter turn"!! Breaking the bolt is WAY too tight! :)

Phil

Equipment
L3130
Oct 3, 2009
Sault Ste Marie Ontario Canada
There should be a torque section that deals with general fasteners somewhere in that WSM.
I did find page G-9, in the WSM, that has general torque specs for nuts and bolts that are not specified. He problem is that Kubota assumes that the owner would know what material and grade of bolt your torquing. Aluminum is simple enough to distinguish but the grade, depending on where the bolt was manufactured, can be a disconcerting. The last thing I want to do is to have an oil plug fall out due to under torquing or to stretch the threads by over torquing. I have learned from passed experience, that both have disastrous consequences. (I used to use the K-Mart crescent wrench method before I bought a torque wrench)
Does Kubota adhere to North American Standards markings or do they use the a number stamped on the head of the bolt like the page G-9 shows ? (see pic)

Attachments

digg71

Equipment
B3200 w/ FEL, Box Scraper, Post Hole Auger, 4' Rotary Cutter, Snowblower
Mar 7, 2010
Western N.Y.
Oddly enough, I just did a full sevice(with a little help from some site members here) on my B3200 and didn't even think twice on torquing them. I just tightened them up about as much as it took to untighten them. The tractor is new so I know that no one else has been under there messing with things.
It would be good to know the specs. for these drain bolts though. I will keep an eye on this post for sure.

Good luck!

Jim

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Drain plug bolts have no tensile strength markings which means they are made from fairly low grade steel ,they also seat on a copper or alloy sealing washer so don't need to be over tight as the compession of the washer seems to act as a locking device to the point of making it seem as if they have been tightened more than they had.I can recall many instances where a drain plug bolt was very tight and a smart tap with a copper hammer on the head would make it come undone with very little effort.
Below is a link to an interesting site on bolts and threads!
#dave

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/faq.htm