motor stalls

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
Lately when I am using my m5140 it will periodically stall, maybe once every half hour. It will be running fine then just quit like someone shut off the switch then almost as soon as it stalls I can here a click under the hood and I restart it and it runs fine. Any suggestions?

frysl

Equipment
L3301 LA525 FEL & FDR1672 6' Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
Lately when I am using my m5140 it will periodically stall, maybe once every half hour. It will be running fine then just quit like someone shut off the switch then almost as soon as it stalls I can here a click under the hood and I restart it and it runs fine. Any suggestions?
Does it happen when your looking over your shoulder? Mine will cut off when I look over my right shoulder, I'm taking weight off of the seat safety switch.

turck

Equipment
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
The M5140 will run when your off the seat, I'm thinking it might be the fuel solenoid shutoff. Tonight I changed the fuel filter, wiggled the wire connection to the fuel solenoid. I then pulled it outside and ran it around and it did it three times in a half hour.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It could also be a relay that controls the solenoid.

Remove the solenoid spring and shaft, put block of something over the hole, if it stays running good then it's 100% the solenoid, relay, or wiring.

turck

Equipment
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
It could also be a relay that controls the solenoid.

Remove the solenoid spring and shaft, put block of something over the hole, if it stays running good then it's 100% the solenoid, relay, or wiring.
Thanks for the reply North Idaho Wolfman, I just ordered a wsm from Messicks as I'm a little nervous to start pulling the solenoid out without first looking over the manual. In the meantime I am charging my battery as I noticed the indicator was black not green. If I pull out the solenoid what shuts off the tractor?

turck

Equipment
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
Thanks for the reply North Idaho Wolfman, I just ordered a wsm from Messicks as I'm a little nervous to start pulling the solenoid out without first looking over the manual. In the meantime I am charging my battery as I noticed the indicator was black not green. If I pull out the solenoid what shuts off the tractor?
Well I charged the battery and took it out and it stalled twice in 15 minutes. I then unhooked the neg battery cable from the frame connection and cleaned it and it was noticeably dirty. I then went out and brush hogged for about an hour and it ran fine and hasn't stalled since!