Most terrifying moment on a tractor in years

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
What was terrifying?
My dad used to say over and over again and drilled it into my head under pain of death…don’t let it run out of fuel!! Even now, decades later - I still start to sweat with a quarter tank to go.
either that…or he was referring to the price of diesel.

Reactions: 3 users

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
My dad used to say over and over again and drilled it into my head under pain of death…don’t let it run out of fuel!! Even now, decades later - I still start to sweat with a quarter tank to go.
either that…or he was referring to the price of diesel.
The price of fuel.
Don’t overthink this one!

Reactions: 5 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I was sitting in a long lineup Thursday with my Harley, waiting to get gas at the cheapest place around.
I was cooking in the heat(ATGATT)...slight up-grade and the low fuel light came on. I finally pumped in $36.50 (17.5L) into an 18L tank. I was sweating(cooking in the heat) and sweating (fearful of running out of gas ) trying to push an 850lb bike up to the pump. The final sweat was the cost. Ouch !

I am sure your tractor will take more than $36.50 but it still hurt. I usually put in $18-$20 in the thing.

Friggin fuel cost is getting ridick !

Reactions: 4 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It is a shame when you put the better part of a 50 dollar bill in the scooter!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I was sitting in a long lineup Thursday with my Harley, waiting to get gas at the cheapest place around.
I was cooking in the heat(ATGATT)...slight up-grade and the low fuel light came on. I finally pumped in $36.50 (17.5L) into an 18L tank. I was sweating(cooking in the heat) and sweating (fearful of running out of gas ) trying to push an 850lb bike up to the pump. The final sweat was the cost. Ouch !

I am sure your tractor will take more than $36.50 but it still hurt. I usually put in $18-$20 in the thing.

Friggin fuel cost is getting ridick !
Gas Price.jpg

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I would LOVE to get my hands on some of those 'I did that!' stickers!! :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, silly questions...
1) how do your know PTO speed as nothing on tach...?
2) what's the 10 and 34 mean ?

jes curious..

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I would LOVE to get my hands on some of those 'I did that!' stickers!! :ROFLMAO:
Amazon has a ton of them. My daughter got me a variety pack that features "someone else" saying "someone" did that and included a bunch of stickers with a quote from an NBC Sports correspondent. It was a great Father's Day/ birthday gift that keeps on giving!

Reactions: 5 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
I saw this coming. So early this year I filled both tractors to the brim, then completely filled the bulk diesel tank. Hopefully, I won't have to buy more diesel till next year...and hopefully, by then the price will have dropped some.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
OK, silly questions...
1) how do your know PTO speed as nothing on tach...?
2) what's the 10 and 34 mean ?

jes curious..
Answer 1) You select a different screen that shows PTO functions on that model of tractor. It also shows ground speed on the PTO screen.

Answer 2) 1034 = the time, clock

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
@dhmeiser

It's even simpler than that (in the aggregate). Supply and demand.

The 'demand' part of that equation is not very complicated. Post pandemic (as should have been anticipated) demand is back up. Wouldn't take a genius to see that coming.

Supply is another matter. Complicated for certain and probably worthy of its own thread. If you'd like to start one and debate the merits I am happy to meet you there.

But in simple terms, oil production is not the issue (not entirely). We have enough oil production (currently) domestically and imported. But oil isn't Gas/Diesel. It has to be refined and transported.

What most people do not understand is that there are two types of refineries. One type set up to refine 'light/sweet, crude' and one for 'Heavy/Sour'. For many decades U.S. refineries (especially along the Gulf Coast) were/are set up to refine imported Heavy Crude.

With the onset of more domestic production and advancements in production techniques (fracking), more 'light, sweet' crude has been produced. Light/sweet crude is preferred for producing Gas, Diesel and Plastics. It is easier to refine and has better yield.

We (U.S) are not set up very well to refine this crude domestically.....so we Export it and IMPORT heavy/sour crude. But in recent years.....refineries have been trying to expand the units we have that can handle light/sweet crude. There have been NO groundbreaking greenfield refineries since the late 70's. (none over 50K BOPD).

So current refineries must be expanded or converted. There are also a number of shuttered refineries that could be brought back online BUT it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to do so. The difficulty in obtaining federal permits and the constantly rising costs associated with complying with expanding environmental regulations is an impediment to Oil Companies. They don't make decisions based on short term profits.

Biden campaigned on 'shutting down fossil fuels' and takes his marching orders from Climate Change interest groups. Someone has to sign those bills that come across his desk and he is all too happy to do so. So yeah, he is responsible too.

But we can look a little deeper into the problem and see that those who have made Climate Change their God, greenies, and liberal politicians are largely responsible for trying to make a transition away from fossil fuels TOO quickly and make the production of fossil fuels more difficult.

So IF it is more fitting to make up a new sticker "WE DID THAT" (Climate Change nuts and Liberals) then I am happy to make the switch. IF Biden weren't the feckless person that he is.....he would do what is good for America and not do what he is told by the progressives and Climate Change Zealots.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
So this mis information was posted but I was unable to reply to it directly.. What's up with that??
10B276FB-6D5C-4392-AE3A-2C486EEDD4A1.png
🤥😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
@dhmeiser

It's even simpler than that (in the aggregate). Supply and demand.

The 'demand' part of that equation is not very complicated. Post pandemic (as should have been anticipated) demand is back up. Wouldn't take a genius to see that coming.

Supply is another matter. Complicated for certain and probably worthy of its own thread. If you'd like to start one and debate the merits I am happy to meet you there.

But in simple terms, oil production is not the issue (not entirely). We have enough oil production (currently) domestically and imported. But oil isn't Gas/Diesel. It has to be refined and transported.

What most people do not understand is that there are two types of refineries. One type set up to refine 'light/sweet, crude' and one for 'Heavy/Sour'. For many decades U.S. refineries (especially along the Gulf Coast) were/are set up to refine imported Heavy Crude.

With the onset of more domestic production and advancements in production techniques (fracking), more 'light, sweet' crude has been produced. Light/sweet crude is preferred for producing Gas, Diesel and Plastics. It is easier to refine and has better yield.

We (U.S) are not set up very well to refine this crude domestically.....so we Export it and IMPORT heavy/sour crude. But in recent years.....refineries have been trying to expand the units we have that can handle light/sweet crude. There have been NO groundbreaking greenfield refineries since the late 70's. (none over 50K BOPD).

So current refineries must be expanded or converted. There are also a number of shuttered refineries that could be brought back online BUT it costs hundreds of millions of dollars to do so. The difficulty in obtaining federal permits and the constantly rising costs associated with complying with expanding environmental regulations is an impediment to Oil Companies. They don't make decisions based on short term profits.

Biden campaigned on 'shutting down fossil fuels' and takes his marching orders from Climate Change interest groups. Someone has to sign those bills that come across his desk and he is all too happy to do so. So yeah, he is responsible too.

But we can look a little deeper into the problem and see that those who have made Climate Change their God, greenies, and liberal politicians are largely responsible for trying to make a transition away from fossil fuels TOO quickly and make the production of fossil fuels more difficult.

So IF it is more fitting to make up a new sticker "WE DID THAT" (Climate Change nuts and Liberals) then I am happy to make the switch. IF Biden weren't the feckless person that he is.....he would do what is good for America and not do what he is told by the progressives and Climate Change Zealots.
Like any complex issue there is plenty of blame to go around for any momentary glitch. Seems like we need to add in the refineries totalled a couple years ago in one of the many hurricanes hitting the south coast a couple years ago. And not yet back online. I am not sure what it would take to get the oil companies off their duffs. They are more directly affected by legislation. Which in my opinion is almost never well written.

Reactions: 1 user