Money back?

Pines

Equipment
M8560
Nov 10, 2014
Iowa
I'm going to keep this real short and leave out the facts for now because the dealer is working hard on it,but can a guy get his money back from dealer or Kubota for a major problem with tractor with only 10 hrs on it.I bought it new and can't believe I have a problem with it already.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Unless your state has some type of very strict lemon law probably not. I bought a new car that the engine blew up at 68 miles. Dealer would not do anything. I got a lawyer and finally negotiated to get it fixed and get a free extended warranty. It is pretty much yours once you buy it. They will repair it but seldom replace one.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I have gone the lemon law route in Maine against Ford and it takes time.
You must keep meticulous records and follow all the steps.

http://www.dmv.org/ia-iowa/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

Iowa's "Lemon Law" Guidelines

Iowa's lemon law protects consumers who have purchased new vehicles with substantial defects. If your new truck has chipped paint, you're probably out of luck. However, if the brakes on your minivan don't work and the repair shop just can't seem to fix them, you may have a lemon on your hands.
Lemon law guidelines apply for the first 2 years or the first 24,000 miles after your new vehicle was delivered. You may receive a refund or replacement for your vehicle if you meet one or more of the following conditions:

• You've sent your vehicle in for repairs at least 3 times for the same problem with no success.

• Your vehicle has been sent for repairs on a malfunction that could cause serious injury or death, and the problem has not been fixed.

• Your vehicle has been out of service for at least 20 days total and it still doesn't work properly.
NOTE: Be sure to keep records of any service reports, orders, receipts, and correspondence with the manufacturer or its authorized service agent. You'll likely need to present these documents if you file a lawsuit or need to settle an informal dispute with the manufacturer.

Fiziksgeek

Equipment
Massey Ferguson GC2400
Apr 8, 2015
Oxford, CT
There are generic consumer protection laws, then there are state specific lemon laws. The more specific the law to your situation the "easier" is it to return a product with issues. Most state have specific laws for vehicles, a few states have laws specifically to cover agricultural equipment. Find out if your state is one of them.

Fiziksgeek

Equipment
Massey Ferguson GC2400
Apr 8, 2015
Oxford, CT
Forgot to add that generally for a lemon law to apply, you must give the dealership/manufacturer reasonable time to repair the problem. What is "reasonable" varies, and if there is a specific law in your state, it might be defined.

So assuming you've only had 1 problem, and the dealer fixes it in a reasonable amount of time, there is no chance at a return.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm going to keep this real short and leave out the facts for now because the dealer is working hard on it,but can a guy get his money back from dealer or Kubota for a major problem with tractor with only 10 hrs on it.I bought it new and can't believe I have a problem with it already.
Notttt gonna happen......major? what is a major problem ? THEY forgot to place oil in the machine? Or they didnt give you the keys?;)

Please define the major of said kubota problemo!:)

Pines

Equipment
M8560
Nov 10, 2014
Iowa
Yeah It might have been a little buyers remorse after only 10 hrs and having a problem, but what they thought was major and having to split the tractor turned out not so major. Dealer fixed the problem fast and used the tractor this weekend with no more problems. Very happy dealer fixed it fast and got it back to me.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Pines-
Yeah, it happens all the time. As long as you have a good dealer that will take responsibility for the rig no matter what, you have a good partner and a good relationship to keep going all up and down the line.
I think we forget that it's not just the Kubota brand we like, but the people in the middle and the people we engage about the product ( like those here on OTT ).
Anyone can have a sour experience, but a good dealer and good support network will almost always win out.

Pines

Equipment
M8560
Nov 10, 2014
Iowa
apeckham-
I'm about straight east of you over by Centerville and Lake Rathbun.