Mole Purge

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I'm no expert on moles but we have moles in Texas and I've never seen a concentration any where near dense as what you just described. Are they as thick across several hundred acres or only in your yard? What about other yards? If your yard is the only place so many are found that is a clue. If they are as bad 5 miles in any direction I'd have to ask if their natural predators have been eradicated.
Myself and one neighbor (among four homes in a 5mi radius) across a highway are the only ones who "maintain" their property. My property is 5ft chainlink fenced and gated. On the outside there are predators, on the inside, our pets, where they are not an easy meal.

Our Mole problem was a problem when we moved here 25 years ago. The runways and tunnels have our property hollowed out like Swiss Cheese. I've been fighting the GD things by every (except Propane and Dynamite) means I can from a sanity standpoint. Short of renting a commercial Rotovator and going deep, and erecting a 3ft. buried (U.S./Mexico border) steel wall around the whole perimeter, I'm beyond being at wits end.

Eradicate one, it's offspring, siblings and relatives move in.

There are more sink-holes then there is flat sod.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
My Dingo will take care of em. As an added bonus, he will till your yard at the same time. He literally ripped up every square foot of turf in our old back yard. He got em all though. They never came back. He knew he was getting a bath. It was all worth it.

20220217_084245.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Imagine walking a driveway being 5/8" minus crushed rock. Nice and smooth.

Now imagine that driveway >now being< a 50/50 mix of 5/8" minus and 3" quarry pit run.

Start walking.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
They were pretty thick around here until we got a couple of cats. Then, our back porch was thick with dead moles.

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
I'm no expert on moles but we have moles in Texas and I've never seen a concentration any where near dense as what you just described. Are they as thick across several hundred acres or only in your yard? What about other yards? If your yard is the only place so many are found that is a clue. If they are as bad 5 miles in any direction I'd have to ask if their natural predators have been eradicated.
I have the same problem. My “Yard” around the house is only about an acre, but all the moles love it. Lots and lots of forest to go play in, and they prefer my yard. I gave up years ago, and just put up with them.
Never got traps to work, they just seem to move on instead of the tunnels I trapped. Sigh.

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
I have declared war on the moles in my yard!! I hate those little suckers.

I level out the mounds and check the mole area 3-4 times a day. When I see a new mound I expose the tunnel, light a Gopher gasser and put it in the tunnel. Then put carboard over the tunnel and cover it up with dirt.

Sometimes I take my blower and push the gas through the tunnel. :devilish::devilish:

I also have bought 60lbs of grub killer in the granular form. The next time it's going to rain I will spread it in the front yard.

I have been told that if you get rid of the food source, they will leave.

At the rate I'm going, I figure my property will be listed on the EPA's brio clean up site before long.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But I'm going kill those things.

Reactions: 1 user

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I believe there are systematic things that can be done to eradicate/control them. Is there a peak breeding season? If so I'd think concentrated attack starting just before would yield better pay back for effort made. So far I like terrier ankle bitters the best. My son once had a Yorkie x Terrier that would sit for hours with eyes glued to a hole he saw a mouse go in. I would assume dog's can hear as well as coyotes and fox who are said to be able to hear rodents moving along in tunnels beneath snow. Sorta macabre but if moles are in shallow tunnels mostly certain hours of day/night ,what about one of those spiked lawn aerators towed by lawn tractor? :devilish::alien: We are talking about the critter that pops soil up as it barrows just beneath the surface? We call those moles and the one that builds hat size mounds gophers.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Last year I had some mole activity in one yard. Bought a trap. Caught nothing.
So each morning before doing real work on the tractor I drove over ALL the tunnels. They were easy to see and follow.
Did that for a couple weeks... every morning.
One day I went out to crush tunnels, there were none. They quit, and split.
They either died in their tubes, or gave up having to rebuild every night.

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Last year I had some mole activity in one yard. Bought a trap. Caught nothing.
So each morning before doing real work on the tractor I drove over ALL the tunnels. They were easy to see and follow.
Did that for a couple weeks... every morning.
One day I went out to crush tunnels, there were none. They quit, and split.
They either died in their tubes, or gave up having to rebuild every night.
Driving over all my tunnels first thing every morning sounds exactly like what old age does to me.