Modify Landscape rake for QH

Builtough

Equipment
Kubota B2601 with loader, pallet forks, rear bade, bush hog
May 15, 2015
Ottawa, Ohio, United states
All,

I have a landscape rake just like the one in this picture and I'm going to modify it to fit my quick hitch. I have some ideas, but I wanted to see if anyone has already done this and has some advice. The biggest issue is that the two tabs that hold the lower hitch pins land dead center on the QH lower links. If I don't get a better suggestion, I'll cut off the tabs and weld new ones onto the tube closer to the center and probably add a gusset for strength. Don't have a great strategy to extend the top link out yet.

Thanks

Attachments

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Would it work to reverse one of the lower hitch pins? You would need to use hitch retainer pins to keep it on the quick hitch and offset your upper link mod to match the offset caused by the one reversed pin. Just a thought may not work with your quick hitch and rake.

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
this same top hook problem occurs in a number of older type of units (pre QH times) and I will have a welder cut out the center of angle brace, lower it by bending it down to a new cross bar welded to the two side braces. This allows the top hook to rise up and connect without have to remove the pin and reinsert.

Hope this helps, have not done it just yet as this will be a rainy day project and will post pictures at that time.

I have a ballast, back blade and trailer hitch rig all to do some sort of small modifications to receive the top hook on the upward sweep.
Still like the QH.

As for lower pins brought long pins and pin adapters (sleeves) to fit into the new QH hooks on the bottom. all is working good so far.:)

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If I'm understanding it right, the two tabs on the bottom are hitting the QA hitch right?
If that is the case then either the rake is a Cat 2 and your QH is a Cat1 or your QH is a cat 0 and the rake is a Cat 1.

Either way, cut the ends of the cross tube off and re-weld the tabs back on, and also lower the height of the top link connection.

As far as the top goes cut the brace off the back re-weld 2 new braces onto the outsides of the center link and your all set.

If your wondering what the dimensions of a Cat 0, Cat 1, Cat 2 are:

Last edited:

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
Modified the 5' KK xb rake to fit my QH. Cut some steel tubing to slide over hitch pins, drilled and ran bolts thru pins to hold longer tubing. Cut off rear support bar, welded in cross piece for support lower in the hitch triangle, enabling an opening for the top link of quick hitch. Slid pin into existing hole. Boom, QH rake.

HighSierra79

Equipment
Sep 1, 2013
MO
1.) remove round support from top of hitch to swivel.

2.) weld cross support piece at least 10" down from top of hitch to retain strength

3.) determine QH top link height, and adjust pin accordingly

4.).aquire new or used metal tubing(sized) to slide over pins, secure accordingly

5.) enjoy your 10 second hookup

Builtough

Equipment
May 15, 2015
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like there is a common fix for the op link (lower the angled support and weld to new cross member). This will put the top link in a different plane than the lower links though. The lower links will be closer to the tractor than the top.

HighSierra - I think my rake is the same as a King Kutter (TSC brand). Could I talk you into posting a pic of yours?

HighSierra79

Equipment
Sep 1, 2013
MO
I'll go out to the farm this weekend.

Builtough

Equipment
May 15, 2015
Well it's welded up. Had a local machine shop make up the pieces and got them welded on this weekend. I had to cut off the old lower link brackets on the ends. I welded one of them back in the center to use as a holder for a pipe stand to hold it up. I'll get it painted up and new pins/bushings on and post the final pics.

Attachments

Builtough

Equipment
May 15, 2015
Here's the finished product. It works well, but I do have use the highest setting on QH top link. Also wish I would have offset the kickstand pipe to one side so it didn't line up with the top link when up. Also attached sketches of the steel pieces I had made at the fab shop. everything fit up well.

Attachments