Modify BX2830 Snowblower with quick coupler?

0xACE

Equipment
BX1500, BX23S
Jul 16, 2022
Maine
While waiting for delivery of a new BX23S to replace my 2003 BX1500 I can, of course think of nothing else.

I have a BX2830 snow blower and 3rd function coming with it. I’ve not gotten the 3rd function chute deflector yet. I’m still thinking over some of the threads here on that topic as the 3rd function has many of the same parts. My question however is about the quick couple system.

Nothing I‘ve seen with the blower and other front-end attachments use the quick coupler system that the front end loader does. It seems you could just order the bracket and associated parts (https://www.messicks.com/KU/96461?sectionId=238823&diagramId=608786) and screw the lines from the snowblower into it.

I suppose the problem would be that two of the hoses go to the blower and two go to the front sub frame and those go don‘t always go on and off together. Same for other attachments that use the same front subframe. Perhaps there‘s a way to fabricate a two-part quick coupler.

Thoughts? Ideas? Waste of time?

Stephen

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Much cheaper to have your dealer install the electric deflection kit. That's what I did on my BX2830 front blower. The snowblower uses a driveshaft to spin the blower, and 2 of the hyd lines to lift/lower the blower up and down and the last 2 hyd lines to turn your chute.

So you're left with no spare lines and thus no way to use the deflector.

Your choices are:

Manual (no cost, but PITA)
Electric (cheapest)..small box mounted to joystick lever
Specialized adaptation of your joystick to run hyd solenoids to switch hoses at the quick connect. (mucho $$$)

Go with the electric ;-)

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you are getting the 3rd function valve, make sure that they install the LandPride 3rd function kit, not the Kubota kit. The LandPride is a true 3rd function valve system, whereas the Kubota is a diverter type of kit. LandPride is so much superior to the Kubota one, I wouldn't even consider it even if I had to wait for it to come back into stock if it were out of stock. It is also extremely easy to install yourself in a couple of hours if you have a mechanical aptitude. Make sure that the kit that you order has flat-faced couplers in it. When I ordered mine I specified the flat-faced couplers, and when it arrived, it had Pioneer couplers. I couldn't get the dealer to exchange them, so I bought a set of couplers made by Summit on Amazon. Less expensive than Kubota and better quality in my opinion.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
If you are getting the 3rd function valve, make sure that they install the LandPride 3rd function kit, not the Kubota kit. The LandPride is a true 3rd function valve system, whereas the Kubota is a diverter type of kit. LandPride is so much superior to the Kubota one, I wouldn't even consider it even if I had to wait for it to come back into stock if it were out of stock. It is also extremely easy to install yourself in a couple of hours if you have a mechanical aptitude. Make sure that the kit that you order has flat-faced couplers in it. When I ordered mine I specified the flat-faced couplers, and when it arrived, it had Pioneer couplers. I couldn't get the dealer to exchange them, so I bought a set of couplers made by Summit on Amazon. Less expensive than Kubota and better quality in my opinion.
There's nothing wrong with the diverter valve style 3rd function kit on low flowing hydraulic systems. The full flow versions suck up flow and tend to make down stream functions slower. These little tractors already have a hard time doing 2 functions at once.

0xACE

Equipment
BX1500, BX23S
Jul 16, 2022
Maine
I decided against electric motor for rotation and deflector adjustment. My current BX1500D has electric rotation and a manual deflector. The electric rotation is slow. Everything I’ve seen, the hydraulic is much faster to adjust. Frankly I hardly ever adjust the deflector. Perhaps because it’s manual. Anything there would be an upgrade! Since I’ve got a cab on the new tractor, I figured on making everything remote.

I went with the kubota (diverter) version of 3rd function. I did a ton of reading, thinking, and considering what I want to do with it. I don’t think I’ll need all three functions at once. I can manage to rotate and deflect at separate times. Also, and I admit it’s a bit shallow of me, but I like the cleaner look of the kubota third function lever over the landpride one. The land pride one has uncovered/exposed nuts and bolts that I’m surprised people don’t complain about. I’m 100% sure I’d cut my hand or catch my clothes on the end of the screws at some point. Plus, as dieseldonato said, I’m not sure with the flow rate of the 23s it will make all that much of a difference.

I do agree on the flat faced couplers, and need to make sure I specify that, I still have time to do that. The tractor is ready except for the 3rd function install and putting on the correct tires (turf tires). Somehow between my “order form” and the “work order” they forgot the 3rd function kit and have to bring it back into the shop to add it.

No comments on the quick-coupler adaptation though. Perhaps it’s just a bad idea :)

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I decided against electric motor for rotation and deflector adjustment. My current BX1500D has electric rotation and a manual deflector. The electric rotation is slow. Everything I’ve seen, the hydraulic is much faster to adjust. Frankly I hardly ever adjust the deflector. Perhaps because it’s manual. Anything there would be an upgrade! Since I’ve got a cab on the new tractor, I figured on making everything remote.

I went with the kubota (diverter) version of 3rd function. I did a ton of reading, thinking, and considering what I want to do with it. I don’t think I’ll need all three functions at once. I can manage to rotate and deflect at separate times. Also, and I admit it’s a bit shallow of me, but I like the cleaner look of the kubota third function lever over the landpride one. The land pride one has uncovered/exposed nuts and bolts that I’m surprised people don’t complain about. I’m 100% sure I’d cut my hand or catch my clothes on the end of the screws at some point. Plus, as dieseldonato said, I’m not sure with the flow rate of the 23s it will make all that much of a difference.

I do agree on the flat faced couplers, and need to make sure I specify that, I still have time to do that. The tractor is ready except for the 3rd function install and putting on the correct tires (turf tires). Somehow between my “order form” and the “work order” they forgot the 3rd function kit and have to bring it back into the shop to add it.

No comments on the quick-coupler adaptation though. Perhaps it’s just a bad idea :)
Plugging in 4 hoses vs, 4 individual hoses....how much time does that really save you?
(everyone get out their abacus's)
:)

Not a bad idea, but what's the cost vs. reward?
Couple hundred bucks + your time assembling = time saving of 1 minute twice a year?

0xACE

Equipment
BX1500, BX23S
Jul 16, 2022
Maine
VE9AA, I was hopeful that one bracket might not be very expensive. But you are correct. I doubt it’s even 1 minute each time.

VE9AA a ham radio call? N1SH, 73

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
VE9AA, I was hopeful that one bracket might not be very expensive. But you are correct. I doubt it’s even 1 minute each time.

VE9AA a ham radio call? N1SH, 73
Sure is. New Brunswick, Canada.

73 de VE9AA

armyaviatr

Equipment
Kubota BX2680, Kubota RTV X1100
Jan 25, 2020
DELAVAN, Illinois
I recently bought a Kubota BX2816 50" snowblower for my BX2680 tractor. The snow blower had manual chute rotation and manual deflector. This past summer I ordered a grapple for my BX and my Dealer talked me into a land Pride 3rd function controller. His augment was the Land Pride was a true 3rd function controller as opposed to the Kubota 3rd function which he said was a diverter valve. I installed a hydraulic chute rotation kit which works very nicely. When I went to order a hydraulic deflector kit I was shocked at the price. When I looked into what was in the kit I noticed it contained an electric hydraulic diverter controller. While it would work with my setup it was unnecessary due to my Land Pride 3rd function valve. I ordered the hydraulic cylinder, two 90 degree fittings for the cylinder, the Kubota hydraulic hose curly routers as well as 6' of hydraulic hose and the flat connectors for the hose. I am worried that the way the hydraulic hoses are routed that I could run into problems while in use. Pictures to follow. Does anyone else have the same setup and if so how did you route the hoses from the deflector cylinder to the controller?

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have the same setup on my BX23S and I routed the hoses about the same way as yours. The only thing that I did differently was to have male and female on the 3rd function and the same on the hoses, so they will always go on correctly in the direction that I want the chute to go. Humans are creatures of habit, and it is difficult to reprogram us.

armyaviatr

Equipment
Kubota BX2680, Kubota RTV X1100
Jan 25, 2020
DELAVAN, Illinois
I have the same setup on my BX23S and I routed the hoses about the same way as yours. The only thing that I did differently was to have male and female on the 3rd function and the same on the hoses, so they will always go on correctly in the direction that I want the chute to go. Humans are creatures of habit, and it is difficult to reprogram us.
I also put the male and female flat couplers on so that they would hook up the same each time. Did you use 90 degree couplers on the cylinder? My biggest concern is if I rotate the chute in the up position the hydraulic hoses want to hang up on the grill guard. Also I have a owners manual I can send to you, for your blower.

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I took my grille guard off the day I came home with the tractor. Unless you run into a tree, the grille gauard is m

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I upgraded from the BX2816 (chain drive) to a BX2822 (gear drive) snowblower this week, and the BX2822 was delivered today. It came with the BX2820 electric chute deflector, which also was on the BX2816 when I purchase that machine. I removed the BX2820 from my BX2816 and replaced it with a used hydraulic cylinder from a plow since the cylinders are all the same part number. Today I put the BX2820 electric chute deflector back on the BX2816 getting ready to sell it and put the hydraulic cylinder onto the BX2822. This is when I remembered that I put a 2 hose clamp onto the chute to keep the hoses from tangling with anything on the tractor. I will get a picture for you when I have a chance to do so. Right now, I am burning the candle at both ends. Below is a picture of the type of clamp that I used. Most of these are weldable to the metal, but I cheated and used a longer bolt and bolted it onto the chute. They are available at most hydraulic supply houses. Ask for a weldable twin tubing clamp to match your hoses. The only problem that I see is that your hoses might not be long enough.

TSCT025_45.jpg