MMM rpm

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but none of my searches had positive results. I have a B2301 with MMM and typically run it around 2200 rpm when mowing. I generally run it in low range (and pedal not quite to the metal), because I mow 99% on a hill. What do others run when mowing?

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but none of my searches had positive results. I have a B2301 with MMM and typically run it around 2200 rpm when mowing. I generally run it in low range (and pedal not quite to the metal), because I mow 99% on a hill. What do others run when mowing?
Wide open and back off a little. Maybe a couple hundred below max.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I mow at just shy of full throttle. I find I get a better cut at higher speed. I've tried to mow with the peddle on the floor but either the bumps make me feel like my spine is going to break or there are obstacles so I've got to slow down quite a bit.

Tchess450

Equipment
BX23S with 60inch deck. implements, blade, forks, spreader, and more.
Jun 18, 2018
Pa
I ran at 2700 or higher. My dealer told me to keep the petal smashed, because more fuild moves and keeps it cooler. No clue if that is true just what I was told.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I ran at 2700 or higher. My dealer told me to keep the petal smashed, because more fuild moves and keeps it cooler. No clue if that is true just what I was told.
True and True and True;)

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Now I'm just a 2 acre homeowner, But if I keep the pedal "smashed" at 2700 or more... I'm moving WAY too fast for my liking.....

I kinda just feather the pedal as I'm cutting... for speed.

hopefully I ain't doing any harm... never did read the owners manual... :D

Tchess450

Equipment
BX23S with 60inch deck. implements, blade, forks, spreader, and more.
Jun 18, 2018
Pa
Now I'm just a 2 acre homeowner, But if I keep the pedal "smashed" at 2700 or more... I'm moving WAY too fast for my liking.....

I kinda just feather the pedal as I'm cutting... for speed.

hopefully I ain't doing any harm... never did read the owners manual... :D
I was told to put it low if I wanted to go slow that was better then controlling the speed by having it in high and backing off and on the petal. Also just repeating what the dealer told me again. I cut in high the fastest the better for me :D

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
MMM & rear stuff all has a little indicator on your dash where you are supposed to run them...

for most of us its 2700... some are 2650.

(looked yours up & its actually 2753rpm for your tractor to have the 2500rpm at the MMM that its supposed to have. page 48 in your manual.)

got 2 kubo's & a Kioti right now & all of them are right in that same marker area.

run the motor harder & if you need to go slower, go down to the lower range & still open the peddle up.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
You need blade speed to cut well and maximize lift. Accordingly, most folks mow at rated engine speed, which is usually full throttle or nearly so.

I'm old school and do not like to run my engines, even diesels, at WOT, so I mow at about 2,000 engine RPM with my B1750HSDT and 60" MMM. Been doing this since I bought it in 1993 with good results. I did change from medium to high lift blades a few years ago, and occasionally do increase engine RPM when mowing grass taller than I normally mow.

Clearly, I'm in the minority here and am not trying to convince anyone to follow my practice.

SDT