MMM mulching kit. Yes or No

rkuszmar

Equipment
BX2370 with FEL and MMM.
Mar 1, 2017
Middleton, MA
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out if it is worth buying the mulching kit for my mower. I know it's better for the grass to mulch it. Mowing now means I have plenty of grass cleanup when I'm done. I have a BX2370 and I don't have the bagger. I am trying to avoid it. I live in MA and my dealer said he does not feel is worth it. He said it struggles in wet grass or of it is to long. I am hoping someone with experience can shed some light on this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out if it is worth buying the mulching kit for my mower. I know it's better for the grass to mulch it. Mowing now means I have plenty of grass cleanup when I'm done. I have a BX2370 and I don't have the bagger. I am trying to avoid it. I live in MA and my dealer said he does not feel is worth it. He said it struggles in wet grass or of it is to long. I am hoping someone with experience can shed some light on this.

Well - there is a simple thought here........

IF grass gets too tall - you are screwed either way......even with a mulching kit, going to leave something behind!!!

Without the kit - blowing grass is not a problem - until you get to a place that cannot be blown onto! Wet grass aint gonna blow either!

If you have to clean up AFTER cutting now - the grass is either too tall or you are cutting too much off!:)
As for cutting wet/ damp grass - avoid that at all costS! Bad for getting grass out and bad on grass being cut no matter what you are using!

IF you can stay on top of your cutting - and the blades and kit are hooked up like they should - I think you will find it well worth it - OK - dumb question, WHAT DOES the kit cost?????

IF the blocking plate can come off quickly, I would consider getting the kit!:)

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I don't find a need to mulch. Clippings are pretty fine cut on my 60"mmm. Then again I'm mostly cutting native grasses and I'm more concerned about efficiency than appearance. But my grass does look pretty darn good after cutting. Anything that looks clumpy, I just drive over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkuszmar

Equipment
BX2370 with FEL and MMM.
Mar 1, 2017
Middleton, MA
Thanks guys. Dealer wants $550 installed. Waiting for any answer on if I can get it without install. I tried a different mowing pattern today and kept the clippings down. I used to work outside to inside and I always ended up with a clump in the middle. Still considering getting it but i want to hear from someone who's used it.

Ben S

Equipment
B2620 FEL MMM mcconell swingtrim
Jan 17, 2015
Holland
i have one installed myself, this is easy to do yourself, only drilling some holes.
not a cheap kit, but it includes 3 high lift mowing blades, money well spent.
i am very happy with it.

considering an upgrade to gator G6 blades.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Save your money for a PTO 3 point grooming mower.
No wind rows, grass clippings evenly distributed behind you and no raking.
Of course, just my opinion.
With my last mower the mulching kit doubled my mowing time...that is I had to cut the grass more often to keep it from clumping or bogging down. If you have plenty of time to mow nice and slow and often then get the mulching kit. But I think a bagger gives you a nicer look.