MK Martin Select SEL54 Snowblower

BlindBuck

Equipment
B2601
Jan 3, 2020
PA
Hello long time lurker and finally became a Kubota Subcompact Tractor owner in August (BX2380).

I am hoping someone can provide some feedback on a MK Martin Select SEL54 3 point snowblower. I found what I believe to be a great deal on a new one that a local dealer has had for two years ($1,500 out the door). Every other 3 point blower I've looked at costs around $2,700-$2,850 (SB48EC MK Martin, SB1051 Land Pride).

I literally only know what I've learned from this forum and being an owner for a few months. I am familiar with the pros and cons of a front mount blower and with the amount I use the loader for the little bit it snows where I live in PA a 3 point is for me. I'm however very green to say the least with quality implements.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Dexter

Equipment
L4701
Aug 27, 2016
Bay City, WI
I have an MK Martin SEL 68 snowblower that I purchased lightly used a few years ago. I think It was built in 2012 and still looks and performs like new. It has been a good blower for me. It is built well and works great.

One concern that some may have about this series of blowers is the lack of a replaceable cutting edge. Some other brands offer one but mine does not have one. For me it is not an issue as my driveway is gravel and I keep the skid shoes set up to keep the cutting edge raised up to prevent throwing rocks. If you are looking to clear down to pavement, you may want a replaceable cutting edge. I don’t use it a lot, but it sure is nice to have for the big storms.

BlindBuck

Equipment
B2601
Jan 3, 2020
PA
Thank you for the reply and good feedback. I did see it doesn't have a replaceable cutting edge. I think I could get something fabricated if I ever needed to. I do have a paved driveway and I'd like to get down to it but I also don't want to mark it all up, so maybe raising it a bit is the answer. My driveway is kind of tricky and steep. It's only 450' long but has a switch back with a 14 degree grade. I'm not sure what to expect from the tractor going up it in reverse unless I only blow it going down. All very new to me as we purchased the land a year and half ago and our home was finished this past August.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
For that price, there would be no hesitation on my part, I'd snatch it up. I don't use mine (Lucknow) much but when I need it, I have it. Keep it inside out of the weather and keep it greaased and oiled and it will outlast your tractor. My Lucknow has outlasted 3 tractors so far.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
i had a MK Martin, Meteor It was cheap $ but work fine for many years. Sold it after 5 or 6 years and still worked fine. Like Flip says keep it inside (if possible) and lubed not much to go wrong.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
With respect to 14% grade...

Suggest you invest in tire chains before attempting to clean the driveway. Sliding backwards downhill is no time to be thinking, "I wish I purchased those chains!"