Mini Excavator Recommendations

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Hi All!
I have 15 acres of heavily forested property that I need to thin and clean. Its covered in large Cedar, Pine, Fir and oak trees along with large brush. The ground is fairly soft and not much for rock until your down about 4 feet. Then its gravel and light clay mix. Intermixed is LOTS of small sapling trees. I'm looking to clean the place up over the next 5 years by removing the saplings and brush along with the stumps. I will be digging some water, sewer and electric trenches. Possibly some foundation footings and I'm also clearing and leveling a 100 yard shooting range. I'm looking for a recommendation for a used Mini Excavator for this project. I have never operated one before but, I drive truck for a living and have operated tractors and forklifts. I have a Kubota M4000 tractor now. I'm sure I can get the hang of it. I know this is a Kubota forum but I'm not really brand dedicated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Beautiful property, thanks for sharing.

I looked very hard at a mini ex. Kubota KX040-4 specifically. I have 40 ish acres of woods and rocks. Lots of trees that need to be cleared.

Starting with why I decided against it:

1. Operating cost - excavators are expensive to operate. More mechanically complex than tractors, and it was out of my wheelhouse. They are also expensive to repair.

2. Mobility - you wont have this issue, but for me it was my first machine purchase. I just could not see having a mini-ex and no way to move around everything I was clearing. So I felt like a mini-ex was something that you have after you have a tractor.

3. Digging stumps - I thought it would be a beast for stumps, but even at 4 tons the KX040 really isn’t that great. You need big iron to make quick work of stumps for trees of any significant size. I decided I would just rent one or get them pulled with the TLB. I didn’t think the KX040 would be that much better than the M62 at stumps.

4. Cost - a new cab KX040 was almost as much as the M62. Although I saw the mini-ex as a more effective tool for forestry clearing, I could not justify a purchase.

On the positive side and general comments:

I have read many many posts from owners of tractors and mini-ex and most seem very happy with their purchase. I would recommend getting a hydraulic thumb, as most say having this really adds utility to the machine. If you get something smaller than a 4 ton machine, you are going to be digging stumps forever. I strongly recommend you get a rental first to be sure that machine is as capable as you think it will be.

Reach and bucket force of miniex is often superior to a tractor and matched backhoe. Maneuverability in the woods is fantastic.

Consider a front blade if you can get one. They are nice for grading/shaping work if you can get a big enough machine. Also add a number of options for stabilizing on hills.

You could also always sell it once you are done. I doubt you will loose much $ provided you get a well known machine that is in good condition.

I would look in the 3-5 ton range. For Kubota, the U series is the zero swing, meaning the back of the operator area/engine doesn’t stick out beyond the tracks when you rotate around. This is meant for construction and tight spaces. They are more expensive, so I would avoid them. The KX are nice. To me 040 is the sweet spot. I have had dealers and others tell me the KX033 (a newer non turbo model) is underpowered for its size. I would look at the 040 or older model. The cab model is sweet, you can fold the front window up and the side window out to make it very close to open station. Very quiet operation. That said probably not necessary, but your call.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
I bought a new 2017 U35-4 for use on our ~30 acres of mountain timberland and love it. I got it with thumbs, a 12 inch and 24 inch bucket. When we purchased our property the gravel road on it, which was really nicely done about a decade ago, had 2" diameter saplings growing all in it. I guess they loved the open sun of the road. I quickly mastered the U35-4 to the point where I could come down on one of these, bend it such that I could grip it between the bucket teeth and the thumb and pull it straight up out of the road roots and all, then toss it to the side. I probably cleared 500 of these out of the 1/3 mile road over several days. It was quite fun actually.

I have dug up stumps, some big ones, by working down to the roots and popping those then rocking the stump out of the ground. I have picked up sections of 16"diameter trees and moved them into piles. I have made a few new trails up slopes that I would never take a tractor. I think the U35-4 can handle more of an incline than my pucker factor allows.

Oh, and I used it to lift and set 20 foot tall 6x6 poles into 4 foot deep holes it dug for our pole barn. I move snow with it in the winter (a tractor would be better for this but the excavator works for the few hundred feet I need cleared). I pick up ~200 pound rocks with it and stack them in piles. That never gets old. We have so many rocks I think I should build a wall.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning to a mini ex because of ground slope. some areas of the property are a little more than I would want to tackle with a tractor.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Hi All!
I have 15 acres of heavily forested property that I need to thin and clean. Its covered in large Cedar, Pine, Fir and oak trees along with large brush. The ground is fairly soft and not much for rock until your down about 4 feet. Then its gravel and light clay mix. Intermixed is LOTS of small sapling trees. I'm looking to clean the place up over the next 5 years by removing the saplings and brush along with the stumps. I will be digging some water, sewer and electric trenches. Possibly some foundation footings and I'm also clearing and leveling a 100 yard shooting range. I'm looking for a recommendation for a used Mini Excavator for this project. I have never operated one before but, I drive truck for a living and have operated tractors and forklifts. I have a Kubota M4000 tractor now. I'm sure I can get the hang of it. I know this is a Kubota forum but I'm not really brand dedicated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Mini-exs are great in tight spots where you can't get a bigger machine and you don't want to hand dig.

A mini-ex for clearing/levelling, grading, trenches, foundations etc is about as handy as using a kitchen spoon to do that work. Forget trying to pull trees with it. You'd be better off with something like a 10-20 ton excavator or construction TLB for what you are describing.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Mini-exs are great in tight spots where you can't get a bigger machine and you don't want to hand dig.

A mini-ex for clearing/levelling, grading, trenches, foundations etc is about as handy as using a kitchen spoon to do that work. Forget trying to pull trees with it. You'd be better off with something like a 10-20 ton excavator or construction TLB for what you are describing.
This is a joke right? A mini is hands down better than a tractor for trenching, especially in the mountains.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
This is a joke right? A mini is hands down better than a tractor for trenching, especially in the mountains.
Did you read what he said about removing trees? A big excavator or a full size TLB will remove trees of size, a mini excavator would not do it safely or at all.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Did you read what he said about removing trees? A big excavator or a full size TLB will remove trees of size, a mini excavator would not do it safely or at all.
Yes I read that, I was just balking at the idea that a mini is not good for trenching, which is probably the one area that a mini shines.

Besides, a mini is under $40k. A full size excavator or TLB new is $300K to $400K or more.

That being said, I wouldn't use a mini to try and knock down a tree much more than a few inches diameter. I might cut the tree down with a chainsaw and use the mini to remove the stump. Some people leave a decent portion of the tree above ground and use it as a pry point to pop the stump once some of the roots are cut.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Yes I read that, I was just balking at the idea that a mini is not good for trenching, which is probably the one area that a mini shines.

Besides, a mini is under $40k. A full size excavator or TLB new is $300K to $400K or more.

That being said, I wouldn't use a mini to try and knock down a tree much more than a few inches diameter. I might cut the tree down with a chainsaw and use the mini to remove the stump. Some people leave a decent portion of the tree above ground and use it as a pry point to pop the stump once some of the roots are cut.
Mini-ex is great for trenching, but I guess it depends on the size of the trench. Mike is probably thinking a 1-2 ton machine, which is great for water lines but not so good for a foundation trench. The 4 ton machines have 24-36 inch buckets and are capable if you dont have super hard ground to work through.

The KX040 with cab and hyd thumb is just over $60k. That is still a mini ex. You can get a used JD 310 TLB for $35k.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love a mini-ex. My advice again is to rent one first, use it for a weekend then decide if you really need to purchase.

You can rent it for $200-300 per weekend. That is a lot of work if you plan it out.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning to a mini ex because of ground slope. some areas of the property are a little more than I would want to tackle with a tractor.
I have a bunch of slopes as well. So steep are some that I decided a 3 pt logging winch was a much safer choice, even than a mini ex. Fell then skid them out.

Watch this video from Mike over at Outdoors with the Morgans. I think this is great use of the excavator. Mike has tractors, and rents the mini when needed. He has it dialed in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mha1KKixPts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZPdXvXEUpU&t=507s

There are a few more in the series. Watch them all if you wish!

Last edited:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I bought a new 2017 U35-4 for use on our ~30 acres of mountain timberland and love it. I got it with thumbs, a 12 inch and 24 inch bucket. When we purchased our property the gravel road on it, which was really nicely done about a decade ago, had 2" diameter saplings growing all in it. I guess they loved the open sun of the road. I quickly mastered the U35-4 to the point where I could come down on one of these, bend it such that I could grip it between the bucket teeth and the thumb and pull it straight up out of the road roots and all, then toss it to the side. I probably cleared 500 of these out of the 1/3 mile road over several days. It was quite fun actually.

I have dug up stumps, some big ones, by working down to the roots and popping those then rocking the stump out of the ground. I have picked up sections of 16"diameter trees and moved them into piles. I have made a few new trails up slopes that I would never take a tractor. I think the U35-4 can handle more of an incline than my pucker factor allows.

Oh, and I used it to lift and set 20 foot tall 6x6 poles into 4 foot deep holes it dug for our pole barn. I move snow with it in the winter (a tractor would be better for this but the excavator works for the few hundred feet I need cleared). I pick up ~200 pound rocks with it and stack them in piles. That never gets old. We have so many rocks I think I should build a wall.
Glad you are having so much fun. I am jealous!

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I borrow a Friends Yanmar Vi045-5. It is a 10,000 lb machine.

I have 15 acres of woods with a lot of fallen trees and brush. It has a thumb on it.

You can clear brush fast.

The woods was very wet so I dug a ditch thru the woods. I would not want anything bigger in the woods.

I think it takes out stumps just fine. Treat it like a shovel. Dig the dirt around it. The roots break easy once they are exposed. I have taken out 2' diameter stumps.

I have a blast playing with it. It has about 900 hours on it with only one issue. I return hydraulic line had a cut in it and started leaking.

It has AC also. I was working in some of the hottest days of the year. I had to get out sometimes to cut logs shorter so I could get then around trees.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
The KX040 with cab and hyd thumb is just over $60k. That is still a mini ex. You can get a used JD 310 TLB for $35k.
I paid under $40k for the U35-4 with thumbs, 12 and 24 inch buckets. It is only a 3.5 ton machine though, maybe the KX040 is a 4 ton? I like the U35-4 because it squeaks in under the DEF requirements.

I like comparing new to new. How much is a JD310 new? Actually I am not sure they make them anymore? How much is something like a CAT 426 new? That is what you would need to have a chance at knocking over large trees. I bought a used CAT 426 years ago that lasted about 20 hours before the transmission went out. When you buy a used high hour machine you are buying problems.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I paid under $40k for the U35-4 with thumbs, 12 and 24 inch buckets. It is only a 3.5 ton machine though, maybe the KX040 is a 4 ton? I like the U35-4 because it squeaks in under the DEF requirements.

I like comparing new to new. How much is a JD310 new? Actually I am not sure they make them anymore? How much is something like a CAT 426 new? That is what you would need to have a chance at knocking over large trees. I bought a used CAT 426 years ago that lasted about 20 hours before the transmission went out. When you buy a used high hour machine you are buying problems.
KX040 is 40 HP and turbocharged. The U35 is 25hp and non turbo. It weights a few hundred more pounds.

They do make JD 310, your are thinking about the 110 which they dont make.

A chance, well it depends on the size of the tree. For serious trees, I agree 20 ton ex is the way to go! I agree, I dont like to buy used.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
OK buddy bring over your mini ex so I can laugh at you when you ask me to pick up your machine and put it back on its tracks after you flip it over trying to pull a large stump.

And then you can show me how fast and good you are at digging a 24 inch wide trench with a 10 foot deep flat bottom.

I said construction TLB or mid-sized excavator. AG tractors with a backhoe attached are nothing but an overpriced hand shovel.

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Did the OP want a 24 inch wide trench with a 10 foot flat bottom? I missed that.

I thought he wanted to trench for water and power or something. I was thinking around 4 feet deep, maybe 12 inches wide, something the U35-4 can do easily (I have already done 100s of feet of that with mine so I kind of know).

But I agree that a mid size excavator can do more. I have a Ford F150 and I know a F550 would have a much better hauling and towing capacity.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I will Chime in on the budget side. My U25 is a comparably inexpensive machine that never ceases to amaze me at what it can do. No, the reach is not huge, nor is overly powerful for lifting. But if you want to keep the cost down, it does not protest while digging and clears land at the homeowner/landscaper level wonderfully. And while there are other opinions here, My Mini hands down would be my first choice for clearing land over a tractor. Hands down!

drdiesel1

Equipment
KX040-4
Sep 24, 2018
Salinas
I just picked up a brand new KX040-4 It's an 8,800 lb. machine.

It's a 4 metric ton machine. 2.2 X 4 = 8,800 Mine has the cab,
a thumb, the angle blade, and 24 inch bucket.
I have 20 acres and will be building a house and shop.
Doing the septic and lots of trenching.

I prefer the KX040-4 over the smaller units.
It slides under the D.O.T. regulations. It's very quite
and has a 10.5 digging depth. The dozer blade works great
for brush and making new roads. Trees are not a problem :cool:

Had to dig 2, 10 foot holes and do perk tests. The first task for the KX :D
I would highly recommend the KX040-4. 40 bhp and no DEF!

Attachments

Last edited: