Millings for a driveway

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Has anyone used millings for their driveway before?
Good, bad, tips, etc.?

Thanks all

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
I assume your talking asphalt, If so, my brother ran a asphalt plant and was getting them for the haul cost, Put them on a drive way to his shop and just bladed it level, than just drove over them and after a short wile it was pretty solid, he liked it. Not bad looking either, not as black as asphalt, lighter in color, kind of grey.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Spread it thick, 6-8", it sometimes has chunks of unground asphalt in it. If you are in a hot area, it will harden up in places, and may have soft spots. Only way to fix it after it has hardened, is to add more, or pave. Once you have it, you have to live with it, so it is a 2 edged sword...:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've had about 40 tons in a pile for 6 years. When I needed some material around an automatic waterer I put a tooth bar on the bucket of a 65HP tractor. It broke up, loaded and moved fine. I topped it off with some AB3 to make a nice walk area for cattle.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I've had two loads on my drive and so far I'm very happy with it. No dust and it hardens as you drive on it. I'm planning on getting a couple more loads. I just used the FEL to smooth it out.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A bud did a length of his driveway with millings spread it out ran a roller over with the tractor, then sprayed it with diesel,, let it set for a bit then ran tractor and roller over it again,, he did that 3 or 4 times,, that was like 5 years ago and it still looks good

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
It's great stuff! Shape it so it sheds water, drag it to get rid of lumps and uneven spots. If you can get a small vibratory roller pack it on a hot day. It will last forever and shed water.

I currently have recycled 2" minus crushed concrete on my driveway. I am hoping to top it with millings soon. i work for a paving company.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I did it for a while, and hated it. Tons of black dust and debris that got carried on to the porch and in to the house. It was cheap, but not worth the trouble.

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
I put down 1300 feet of it on my dirt road and rolled it after putting it down. After a few years it hardened back into solid blacktop, well gray top now. My advice is to get the base graded correctly with a crown before putting down the millings. To get a really nice surface put the millings down, use a vibrating roller to compact, spray the rolled surface with asphalt tack oil, and lightly sand the surface when done. You will have a nice smooth road that sheds water and will last for years.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I can't give any input on straight black top millings I've never really used it myself. Although, we do have a driveway on a hill that we used an "airport mix" which consists of crushed concrete, blacktop, and stone. It was laid a good 6" thick and rolled with a large roller. That stuff hold up like nothing I've ever seen. Processed gravel would always wash out from heavy rains, this stuff holds right together and doesn't wash out. Supposedly it's used as a base for airport runways....

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Thanks all. Very helpful info. It sounds like most folks like it, save one post.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My neighbour has the driveway done in millings, couple years ago. Still looks good. I would do it too, but farmer uses my driveway for field access.im afraid it would get torn up in short order.maybe a load for the parking areas.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
... farmer uses my driveway for field access. im afraid it would get torn up in short order...
So what do you use, gravel? Does the farmer dress the driveway (at least as far as the gate)?

On second thought, I suspect that your frost heave would do more damage than the farmer. But my little piece of inheritance in s.w. Louisiana might really benefit from millings.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
My 800'+ driveway is in millings. Above advice is good. Mine wasn't rolled down with a roller, just by driving on it. Recommend the 6" layer to start also. I too read about using diesel on a hot day but haven't found it necessary.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So what do you use, gravel? Does the farmer dress the driveway (at least as far as the gate)?

On second thought, I suspect that your frost heave would do more damage than the farmer. But my little piece of inheritance in s.w. Louisiana might really benefit from millings.
Its a 700 foot gravel driveway,with a slight slope to the road, seems to be the path for water to run off.the landscape changes year to year from the frost going down as far as 4 feet in places, reccomended depth for water lines is 6 feet. The nearest source for millings is 60 miles away, depending what its worth i may consider it. Just for parking aeas.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Its a 700 foot gravel driveway,with a slight slope to the road, seems to be the path for water to run off.the landscape changes year to year from the frost going down as far as 4 feet in places, reccomended depth for water lines is 6 feet...
If I understand correctly, the runoff goes down your gravel driveway. Prolly washes some gravel; paving would prevent that, but I think it would promote an erosion problem on the lower edge of the pavement.

Corney

Equipment
My 800'+ driveway is in millings. Above advice is good. Mine wasn't rolled down with a roller, just by driving on it. Recommend the 6" layer to start also. I too read about using diesel on a hot day but haven't found it necessary.
Don't use diesel as it will strip the asphalt off the rock!

The intention of this product is to consolidate it. Pack it with a vibratory roller on a hot day day and all will be well! If we had low densities ( which is bad for payment) we would roll with a 30 tonne rubber tire roller on a hot day to get better compaction (density) and reduce penalties.

Just saying.

Put the diesel in the fuel tank not on the RAP ( recycled asphalt product).

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Have a few hundred feet of drive done from millings, 3 years old now going on 4. Did 8-9 inches over a single layer of geotextile fabric after removing topsoil. The fabric is the key to a long lasting drive no matter the material you use. Note that some areas where they are recycling the millings for actual asphalt they allow a certain percentage of ground asphalt shingles in the mix.

Corney

Equipment
Shingles sometimes have a high asphalt content as well as the fibres improve performance. We have incorporated recycled shingles into virgin asphalt and they improve the stability in the mix.