Milling Vise

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
I installed a milling vise on my drill press today and that is another tool I don't know why I waited so long to buy. I have been working on a little invention that needs a few holes in each piece of flat bar. No more having to take it out and put it back in.

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
I've been looking for one for my drill press also. Prices are all over the map.

Mind saying what you ended up buying and what size you got. Wouldn't mind a picture and source if you were thinking you got a great deal.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The more you spend the better it gets. I got an el cheapo,does the job but a hassle to get it on and off as needed.
I made an angle iron fence that makes repeatability a snap.
Slotted 1/2 x2-1/2 in one side for bolts to hold to bed, slots make it adjustable.
Can clamp a stop block and drill away. Another benefit is the stop so workpiece doesent spin. Will supply photo iffn i remember to snap a pic. Also,mounting bolts have a bar welded on so no wrench is needed.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Good for moving the work from place to place for drilling. Not so good for actual milling as the press bearings aren't designed for the side thrust.

Bruce

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL

Mind saying what you ended up buying and what size you got. Wouldn't mind a picture and source if you were thinking you got a great deal.
Prolinemax is the brand, about 100 bucks, like Tool Junkie said if your are going to do much milling, spend more dollars. This is a 4" and fine for drilling and no precise milling.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Good for moving the work from place to place for drilling. Not so good for actual milling as the press bearings aren't designed for the side thrust.

Bruce
Not to mention the taper possibly coming loose. Not nearly rigid enough. Plastic wood or soft metal if you are gentle. Photo as earlier promised
IMG_2693.jpg
Thats my photo from the hokey ass message board-home made tools and equipment.
If you have a few hours, its worth browsing. A truck load of fantastic ideas.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Yeah, they're for enhanced drilling- not milling.
I use them. I say them because I've worn out a few.

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL

Got it off EBAY, here is a couple of pics of it and what I'm making.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

Different approach to the same problem. Cheapo Horror Fright cross feed table with a Craftsman tilt jaw vise mounted to it.

I took the cross feed table completely apart, cleaned it thoroughly, stoned the ways and gibs, lubed and adjusted everything and it actually works quite well, especially for the price.

Like the OP said: Clamp everything up once then move the table to where the holes go. Easy-peasy, wish I'd have done it years ago.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Two things I've managed to do without are a bench vise and drill press. Looked at both 100 times.

Can't say I've always managed well without them....:eek:

This makes me wish/want both! After the drill press, next would be one of these vises!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I've bought several tools from these guys over the years, worth a look if you're in the market for Imported stuff.
I'll confirm this as well. A tip: Shars goes by the username discount_machine on eBay and often offers things for less than the price on their own website. They don't offer their entire catalog in the eBay store, but it's certainly worth a look.