Mid PTO oil leak B7200 HSTE

rustythread

Equipment
L35, B7200HST
Nov 10, 2012
Mt Vernon, IL
In a moment of stupidity, I failed to properly secure the pin holding the end of the universal joint to the mid-mount mower. After half an hour of happy mowing, I got a couple of seconds of clatter down under. Found the mower-end half of the universal lying loose on the grass. Drove mower --B7200HSE with RC60-72H MMM--into the shop and left it till this a.m..
This morning, found about a quart of oil under the transaxle, with apparent seepage around the mid-pto shaft. No visible exterior evidence of other trauma from universal fllailing about before shutdown.
Dealer is 40 miles away, and would have to pick up and return. I quit driving and gave away my truck several years aqo due to vision loss, and in any event, I'd be leery of truying to drive this trqactor onto a truck because of the oil leak.. I'll call the dealer if I have to, though.

**Question is this: If it is likely that replacing the oil seal on the pto shaft will cure the leak, how complicated is the procedure? E.g., is it necessary to pull the shaft out to R&R the oil seal? Is it necessary to pull any other bearings, bushing or collars to get to the oil seal? Special tool required?
If it has to go to the dealer, how likely is it that required parts and labor will be worth more than the repaired tractor? I am old, and will probably sell this property including the tractor and mower, within a couple of years, but there are 3 acres to mow and I'm just too stubborn to pay somebody else to mow as long as I'm physically able.

All advise is welcome, even if accompanied by ribald comments about my mechanical ineptitude.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The complete mid pto unit can easily be removed from the bottom of the transmission after draining the oil. Sometime this can make seal changing easier depending upon your flexibility to get under.

However, before doing anything, a thorough cleaning with brake clean so you can see exactly where the leak is from would be wise. You don't want to change the seal and then find the mid pto housing is cracked.

Parts are available. In the following parts illustration I have provided the revised part numbers and prices.

It is not a complicated job requiring special tools.

Once you remove the complete mid pto unit you could just take it to the dealer for a new seal so you are not having to move your tractor.

The bearing behind the seal, which is only $10.57, should be checked to make certain there is not excessive sideways shaft movement., At Kubota's price of $10.57 going elsewhere to find a cheaper 6205 bearing does not make sense.

forum B7200 mid pto.jpg

Please ask more questions. I too am old and very stiff.

Dave

rustythread

Equipment
L35, B7200HST
Nov 10, 2012
Mt Vernon, IL
The complete mid pto unit can easily be removed from the bottom of the transmission after draining the oil. Sometime this can make seal changing easier depending upon your flexibility to get under.

However, before doing anything, a thorough cleaning with brake clean so you can see exactly where the leak is from would be wise. You don't want to change the seal and then find the mid pto housing is cracked.

Parts are available. In the following parts illustration I have provided the revised part numbers and prices.

Once you remove the complete mid pto unit you could just take it to the dealer for a new seal so you are not having to move your tractor.

The bearing behind the seal, which is only $10.57, should be checked to make certain there is not excessive sideways shaft movement., At Kubota's price of $10.57 going elsewhere to find a cheaper 6205 bearing does not make sense.

View attachment 79234

Dave, I sure appreciate the info--I'll get under the orange critter tomorrow. While I'm not all that flexible at damn-near-80, I can haul the front up in the air with a chain holst.

Dave,
Dave,

View attachment 79234

Dave

View attachment 79234

Dave

View attachment 79234

Dave,
Dave
you've made my day. I'll crawl under the Orange critter tomorrow. damn-near-eighty I'm not as flexible as I used to be. and never was as smart as I thought I was. Lucky for me, the builder of my shop building made the frame and beams of the shop out of mobile home frame members and installed a honkin' heavy chain hoist ( Manual, but a whole lot better than nothing).
Thanks
Bruce

rustythread

Equipment
L35, B7200HST
Nov 10, 2012
Mt Vernon, IL
Dave:
Cleaned the pto and nearby surroundings. Oil dribble is not coming from the pto output shaft, but from somewhere above the pto assembly. What do you recommend? I'm wondering about ordering the top gasket and seeing if replacing it is a cure... I dunno--may be just magical thinking? I tend to be suspicious of appearance of coincidence even when no causal connection is visible, so I'm still proceeding on the premise that the flailing universal caused the leak.
Grass still getting higher. Spouse about to hire a lawn service. Aaargh!

***Later thought:
Could my running the mower with a too-tight belt have caused enough pressure buildup in the system to blow an oil seal? (see my thread re belts) How much disassembly is required to get to whatever oil seal is above the PTO output shaft?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Everything above the Mid PTO assembly gets much more complicated to work on.
Nothing easy.
And no a tight mower belt wouldn't cause a hydraulic leak.