MID PTO COVER

Chad Payne

Equipment
M6060 and LX3310
Nov 30, 2020
Virginia
Has anyone come up with a solution for a cover for the mid pto on a LX3310? According to my dealer they Kubota doesn't provide one.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why not just slip a length of tight fitting hose over it with grease in it?

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Why not just slip a length of tight fitting hose over it with grease in it?
Sounds like a good idea, my neighbor was telling me I should find one for mine. I never really thought much of it.. and I haven’t looked to see how or if one would even mount some how. I think I will do the hose deal. Thanks for the idea!

Chad Payne

Equipment
M6060 and LX3310
Nov 30, 2020
Virginia
Yeah, I think the hose will be my best option. I was just curious if anyone had come across a specific type/size of hose that worked best.

rAzkid

Equipment
BX2200D, LX3310, FEL, MMM, PF, rear mount snowblower
Nov 6, 2020
MA
I have a piece of pvc pipe with a cap on it. I cut a notch on one side that lines up with the indent on the PTO shaft (the external PTO connector pin locks over the detent). The notch is deep enough to line up with the bottom of the shaft detent and wide enough for a spring clip. Slide the spring clip, with the flat side in the slot and the round side around the pipe, over the pvc pipe so it locks the pipe over the shaft. Quick and easy on/off. I'll try to take a picture of it later, if I remember!

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hose is cheap and easy. What I do with my rear pto on one of my M9's. The other has the Kubota hard rubber cap. I see lots of rusty pto shafts on tractors. The surface rust makes hooking up stuff much harder. I keep my hose and cap with grease inside to grease the splines when it's on. A greasy shaft is a happy shaft... 😀

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
There seem to be so many "things to worry about" as a new tractor owner. Is this one that really needs to be added to my list, or is this only for the most cautious owners? (I am not criticizing either perspective, just looking for relative risk guidance)

rAzkid

Equipment
BX2200D, LX3310, FEL, MMM, PF, rear mount snowblower
Nov 6, 2020
MA
A cover keeps the PTO shaft cleaner so it will be easier to connect implements to! Low cost and cuts down on connection times. The first time you get an implement PTO shaft stuck or can't get it to go on you will wonder why you didn't make a cover.

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A cover keeps the PTO shaft cleaner so it will be easier to connect implements to! Low cost and cuts down on connection times. The first time you get an implement PTO shaft stuck or can't get it to go on you will wonder why you didn't make a cover.

Exactly. Nothing better than a rusted up pto stub to make (or break) your day when you want to put something on it and it won't go on.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There was someone on the forum that got something just the right size and shape for a B2650, for free from his dealer, that came as packing for some other piece of equipment. Sorry I can't find that old post to be more specific.

I lost interest in the need when I realized this tractor was going to have the MMM on the mid pto in the summer, and the snowblower on the rest of the time.

Chad Payne

Equipment
M6060 and LX3310
Nov 30, 2020
Virginia
I was able to fabricate something today out of PVC fittings with some modifications. The coupling came with a rubber type bushing that fit over the pto nice and snug once I hollowed out the inside of the coupling a bit.

Since we don't have any implements for the mid mount (using a rear finish mower) I wanted something that would protect the mid pto from dirt, dust and debris. I think this will be perfect!

Attachments

73gitane

Equipment
B2320
Jul 11, 2020
Portland Oregon
Yeah when I bought my B2320 I wondered why Kubota put a cover on the rear pto but ignored the mid pto. After years of no hint of rust I lost interest in their reasoning.
Steve

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab