MId Mount mower deck stuck in the up position

DQBX

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2020
Bremerton WA
I have a BX 1500 and today went to drop the mower deck to sharpen the blades. I turned the height wheel to 0. Lowered the 3point. However the mower deck only moved a couple of inches. After fussing around I got the deck off the tractor.Not sure how I’m going to get it back on.

Looking at the 3 point mower deck actuator rod it appears to be moving freely. Under the tractor the cam that engages the height castle is free not hitting anything. The cross shaft rotates up and down but not fill range. The ends move about 1”-2” it should move a lot more. I tried a bunch of things including putting my full weight on the deck mounts.

Any thoughts on what to do here?

Attachments

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Did you somehow turn the height adjustment knob to the "Top" position?

DQBX

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2020
Bremerton WA
Did you somehow turn the height adjustment knob to the "Top" position?
No I checked, the pawl on the shaft is not touching the cam and is lined up with the deepest notch. I am contemplating dis assembly of the whole assembly. There are no grease zerks on the end of the shafts. I’m leaning towards corrrosion.

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
Is the 3pt moving up and down fully? If it is your probably looking at some kind of a bind in the linkage.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I found the problem. The lift shaft on the right side of the tractor has rusted to the frame bushing.
Good to hear you found the problem.
So, a bit of Kroil to get it moving and some Fluid Film to keep it moving oughtta do it.

Reactions: 1 user

DQBX

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2020
Bremerton WA
Good to hear you found the problem.
So, a bit of Kroil to get it moving and some Fluid Film to keep it moving oughtta do it.
I soaked it overnight and no dice, rusted solid. Too bad it didn’t have zerks to grease to prevent. Looks like I’m replacing the shaft and bushings.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I soaked it overnight and no dice, rusted solid. Too bad it didn’t have zerks to grease to prevent. Looks like I’m replacing the shaft and bushings.
Did you leave the deck on over the winter? Did it get snow (and maybe salt) up in there, or what?

DQBX

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2020
Bremerton WA
Did you leave the deck on over the winter? Did it get snow (and maybe salt) up in there, or what?
It’s over 20 years old and has had the dec on it over the winter that entire time. It was bound to eventually have a problem. The part that has corroded stays on the tractor even if you take off the deck. It doesn’t really snow here a thus don’t use salt. It does rain a lot though.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
It’s over 20 years old and has had the dec on it over the winter that entire time. It was bound to eventually have a problem. The part that has corroded stays on the tractor even if you take off the deck. It doesn’t really snow here a thus don’t use salt. It does rain a lot though.
Gotta ask now: If the deck has been on for over twenty years, has it ever been serviced? Gear oil changes, drive shaft U-joints and splines greased, etc. Surely you've had the deck off and on a number of times for that.

DQBX

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2020
Bremerton WA
Gotta ask now: If the deck has been on for over twenty years, has it ever been serviced? Gear oil changes, drive shaft U-joints and splines greased, etc. Surely you've had the deck off and on a number of times for that.
Sorry yes it is taken off once a year to service but otherwise it’s on 363 days per year for the las 20 years. This time it would not lower.

Tony D

Equipment
L-35, b 2400, dz 323
Mar 31, 2024
44099 ohio
Sorry yes it is taken off once a year to service but otherwise it’s on 363 days per year for the las 20 years. This time it would not lower.
Put some heat to it with a torch and spray lube in it while hot.